Pedal fatigue

Aug. 13, 2022, 2:16 a.m.

I was recently cleaning up a pair of pedals when I noticed the platform on one was broken. At first, I figured it must have been due to some abuse like hitting a rock or other solid object. Upon inspecting the same spot on both sides of both pedals, I realized that all of the other three similar locations had formed hairline cracks, and the failure is probably due to metal fatigue. These are about 7 years old, so I guess I got enough life out of them, but I'm curious if anyone has had/seen a similar failure? In the future I guess I'll be looking for similar spots that might be prone to fatigue damage when looking at platform pedals.

Aug. 13, 2022, 2:06 p.m.

I have a set of these. You can see how much more material and reinforcement hope uses compared to your pedals. I suspect yours were designed with sales in mind. "OH look how light they are" "wow, there is like nothing to them" "more air than material!" All of which = early fatigue and failure.

Aug. 13, 2022, 4:18 p.m.

I have quite a few pedals. Couple sets of chromags, couple sets of oneups, some dmrs, etx. 

Whenever the bushings die or whatever, they go in the rebuild pile and my F20s go back on. They are entirely un-killable.

Aug. 13, 2022, 6:22 p.m.

7 yrs is a pretty good run but it looks like the big fucking holes they drilled in the pedal to allow  access to the back of the screws with an allen wrench weakened the pedal  & caused the failure so i would call that poor design

Aug. 13, 2022, 7:41 p.m.

They look barely used for 7 years. I would have thought Chromag pedals would do better.

Aug. 14, 2022, 4:20 a.m.

These were on the dirt bike which gets used for jumps, pumptrack, and skills practice. Not much mud, water, or rock strikes. Maybe most pedals don't live long enough to fail from metal fatigue.

The F20s look to be a durable choice, it would be nice if they had a concave version.