PD-M424 or PD-EH500 for first time clipless?

Sept. 8, 2019, 8:45 p.m.

I and friends at my Apknite company are obviously looking into our (first) go with clipless, and am intrigued with the hybrid pedals.

So far I've found that the m324s are platform and clip on the same side, so if you don't flip or 'catch' the clip, you can boogie on for a bit until you can try again. Yay. Not sure if that's the set up for both sides of the pedal or if there may still be some pedal flipping...?

The eh500 looks like platform and clip on opposite sides, and I've read reviews that say it 'auto settles' to the clip side and some reviews that say it doesn't.

Either way both sounds easy for a noob to get in and out of, and have the platform option. I have one bike for all things, so this is alluring.

Which would you go with?

Sept. 8, 2019, 11:25 p.m.

PD-M424

Not because they are a better platform pedal but because you have to be like Yoda - do or do not. Trying to flip around the platform side of the other pedal will be annoying. If you want to try clips, just do it. I think the only situation that deserves the PD-EH500 is a commuter for which you want to be able to use regular shoes or clips depending on what sort of a ride you are going on.

Sept. 9, 2019, 2:18 p.m.

Mallets for the float. Clipping in and out is a non-issue. I can't step down on my Mallet without accidentally clipping in, and clipping out happens without thinking about it. This after a lifetime on flats.

If you're used to flats and can't float your feet around however you'll trip out.

Sept. 9, 2019, 5:47 p.m.

As RAHrider said, 424. Same reason.

For the first test, I recommend some time on flat grass - practice coming to a complete stop, wait until you start to tip, then clip out. You will fall a few times, but you'll get a feel for fast release before you need it in real use. 

(I was given and ignored this advice, my first clipped ride included toppling slowly sideways into a gorse bush).

Sept. 10, 2019, 2:26 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

PD-M424

Not because they are a better platform pedal but because you have to be like Yoda - do or do not. Trying to flip around the platform side of the other pedal will be annoying. If you want to try clips, just do it. I think the only situation that deserves the PD-EH500 is a commuter for which you want to be able to use regular shoes or clips depending on what sort of a ride you are going on.

This ^^

I have put a number of GF's on SPD's, at first they are a little freaked ( cuz this is way more daunting than toe clips and straps !? ) but once they get it they don't ever use the platform side but what the platform side does is be less scary so they at least will try SPD's, 

so the platform becomes a waste of money also I think if you check weights a full spd pedal is quite a bit lighter,

the platform side might be a good thing if you wana use non cleated shoes at some point but

The Shimano pedals have a release value like a ski binding, so to set them you back out that screw until it stops clicking and then screw it in however many clicks you want, my first set came cranked up to 10 clicks and I was always falling over on my side cuz I couldnt get out in time.

So for learning i would suggest a setting of 3 clicks to start, try clicking in and out, once you got it dialed go up to 5 or 6 clicks, don't forget to set both sides to the same value

now you have to think about cleat placement

Last edited by: XXX_er on Sept. 10, 2019, 2:37 p.m., edited 1 time in total.