Paying Taxes and Duty when buying online???

Sept. 1, 2005, 7:48 p.m.

When order a product from the USA online shop, does the taxes and duty automatically get put on the credit card

Sept. 1, 2005, 8:06 p.m.

no u usally have to pay that kind of stuff when u pick it up at the post office tell them to ship it as a gift and u might get a better deal

Sept. 1, 2005, 8:17 p.m.

shipping as a warranty return gets better results.

Sept. 1, 2005, 8:24 p.m.

if you live outside of the US u dont have tax but there brokerage fee.. I dont know how they decide how much to charge though.

Sept. 1, 2005, 8:41 p.m.

Fedex is better than UPS when it comes to brokerage and Taxes.

Sept. 1, 2005, 8:49 p.m.

Yeah, they dont screw you as much. Try to get the merchant to ship it with US postal and that would be the cheapest solution. It takes a little longer but you save $$$.

Sept. 1, 2005, 9:06 p.m.

no u usally have to pay that kind of stuff when u pick it up at the post office tell them to ship it as a gift and u might get a better deal

not with UPS, they charged 100bucks for a 400dollar fork who sent it as gift.

not Ryder

Sept. 1, 2005, 9:57 p.m.

Yeah, they dont screw you as much. Try to get the merchant to ship it with US postal and that would be the cheapest solution. It takes a little longer but you save $$$.

US postal service deliveries are handled up here by Purolator - they seem to be the worst overchargers on brokerage fees. One way or another, you get dinged - sometimes they overcharge you on customs fees by using wrong rate, but to get it back, you have to go to Cananda Customs to recover it - major pain. Point Roberts is also an option - you can rent a mailbox there and go pick it up yourself and save on postage as well (it's within the US, so you can use ground shipping, which is mostly unavailable on Canadian orders/shipments, because the seller uses courier companies who handle the customs business through customs brokers).

Sept. 1, 2005, 10:16 p.m.

When order a product from the USA online shop, does the taxes and duty automatically get put on the credit card

check out tsbshipping.com if you're close to vancouver. from what i know,you can just have it shipped there, drive across to point roberts and pick it up. Not sure if you have to declare it or hide it but yea, they can probably answer that for you.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Sept. 1, 2005, 10:24 p.m.

^^ of course you have to declare it. nobody goes to point roberts for any reason other than to pick up mail, or to get cheap gas. obviously the customs guys are not idiots.

you do not have to pay the state taxes for wherever the online retailer is located, but you have to pay the canadian tax(es) when you bring the product across the border, which should be just 7% gst for most parts. as for brokerage fees with fedex/ups, ups seems to charge about $40 brokerage fee, while fedex is about $25, on items with value over ~$100'ish. a lot of times, if you use priority shipping with them, brokerage fees are included, and you only have to pay the tax (7% gst). going with USPS is my choice, behind using tsb shipping in point roberts. USPS are handled by canada post, which also do purolator. unless it was shipped 1-3 day through USPS, purolator will not be involved and you will not be charged a big brokerage fee. canada posts charges $5 to collect the tax for your item, regardless of value.

Sept. 2, 2005, 9:22 p.m.

It is being shiped from a online shop in NY. Shipping is USPS cause it is cheaper. The product cost $315.00 US. I live in Victoria BC. How much roughly do I have to pay to the post office???

Sept. 2, 2005, 10:20 p.m.

Funny you should ask. I just bought a jacket and vest totalling $366 CAN. upon arrival the UPS man handed me a COD slip for $166. The website mentioned nothing of the duty or brokerage fees involved.

Brutal.

Most of the time the discount you get fron buying online is far less than the duty, tax etc associated with cross-border shipping.

Good luck.

"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."

~Epictetus

Sept. 2, 2005, 10:25 p.m.

It is being shiped from a online shop in NY. Shipping is USPS cause it is cheaper. The product cost $315.00 US. I live in Victoria BC. How much roughly do I have to pay to the post office???

I know it's a long shot, but is it from Greenfish? I ordered something from them and they labeled it "auto parts". Because of that I got charged a much higher tax rate. They apologized, but that's it. Took me six weeks to get a refund from Canada Customs.

They'll do a currency conversion on the cost printed on the shipping label [HTML_REMOVED] charge you 7% (taxes) of that + $5.00 (brokerage). If it's any higher file a claim with Canada Customs. You can get the correct form online. Alternatively, you can refuse delivery until they sort out the correct taxes. If you go that route, be preparered to wait, and wait, and wait…to get your stuff back.

Sept. 2, 2005, 10:39 p.m.

I know it's a long shot, but is it from Greenfish? I ordered something from them and they labeled it "auto parts". Because of that I got charged a much higher tax rate. They apologized, but that's it. Took me six weeks to get a refund from Canada Customs.

They'll do a currency conversion on the cost printed on the shipping label [HTML_REMOVED] charge you 7% (taxes) of that + $5.00 (brokerage). If it's any higher file a claim with Canada Customs. You can get the correct form online. Alternatively, you can refuse delivery until they sort out the correct taxes. If you go that route, be preparered to wait, and wait, and wait…to get your stuff back.

Yes it was Greenfish…….So $315.00 US is about $380.00 CAD. Does that mean all I pay is about $30.00 which is 7% of 380 plus the 5 bucks????

Sept. 2, 2005, 11:17 p.m.

Yes it was Greenfish…….So $315.00 US is about $380.00 CAD. Does that mean all I pay is about $30.00 which is 7% of 380 plus the 5 bucks????

That SHOULD be it. Forgot to mention that Canada Post doesn't handle oversized packages (e.g. complete bikes and frames). If that's what you're shipping, it will go through Purolator who charges more in brokerage. Tax should be the same regardless of courier.