Paying Taxes and Duty when buying online???

Sept. 3, 2005, 12:02 a.m.

Brokerage applies to any invoice totalling over $20. Anything lower and you have no need to worry.

I always like going the "warranty replacement" route. It is illegal to not properly declare things so I do not recommend this method nor will I be responsible for any legal/financial actions being taken by Canada Customs and associates.

Sober

Sept. 3, 2005, 9:05 a.m.

ask them to declare it as a a promotional product, i asked eric to do that when i got my 243 and deity parts and i didnt pay a cent in duty, but when kenda sent me tires, i got an extra set for my buddy, total was $30 usd and i got a $40 cdn duty fee when ups brought the tires to me

:ireland: Pickem-up Truck

Sept. 3, 2005, 8:51 p.m.

^ so of the $40cdn charges, probably $5 was for tax/duty. and 35 was for ups brokerage/service fees.

Sept. 4, 2005, 11:20 a.m.

NET PRICE is way different than advertised price in my experiance after tax/duty/shipping and is often not worth the trouble the net $ difference can be so close if you gotta send it back you won't save much if anything

AND depending on how the seller labels the product could mess up your fees.I bought plastic ski boots from france which had no duty ,my buddy bought the same boots except the shop labeled them x-c boots or something and he had a bill for duty . with all fees/tax ect I saved 10% on some scarpa t-1's … about 60$

I bought axo duallies on line cuz they had a wicked 39.95us$ close-out on small sizes .112$ net by the time I got them on my feet now on a shoe that listed for 159$ thats still a pretty good 30% saving BUT not as big as you would think when I first read 39$.

I found a site with 5$ thermo fit ski boot liners which are a huge saving so I arranged a group buy [HTML_REMOVED] bought 4 pairs for me and some buds .Even combining the shipping on a very light package the net price was 17$ each

These were examples of stuff I couldnt get localy (well maybe not the dualies)but mostly its just pointing out how much extra buying mailorder from out of the country costs.given the extra costs involved if you can get it local are you better off waiting for something to go on sale at a local shop?

Sept. 5, 2005, 8:56 p.m.

Let me clarify things a bit…

-If you get a package via the traditonal postal service, you will pay only the taxes, duty applicable, and a $5 dollar processing feer to the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency. I find this is often the best option. If you are getting a high value item though, the tracking and insurance options are not great.

-The courier companies (UPS, Fedex, etc) have a lot of options. Usually the "cheap option" (AKA ground or regular) service comes with a hefty customs brokerage fee, which on smaller items can make the shipping and brokerage considerably more than the original cost. The premium services (overnight, next day, express or whatever) often include the brokerage fees, but not the duty or taxes of course.

-Getting an item declared at a lower value, or as a gift is hit and miss, but it means if the article gets lost or damaged in transit, you have no real recourse in insurance.

Sept. 5, 2005, 9:35 p.m.

I hope that nobody gets the (mistaken) impression that a major US online retailer will make a false declaration on an export invoice. It won't happen, just like they won't wrap your precious parts in pink and yellow tissue paper just because it happens to be your favorite color.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk