Paying For Crap

Aug. 28, 2003, 4:29 a.m.

Why is it in the mtb world there are so many large manufacturers of bogus equipment which have obviously had no R[HTML_REMOVED]D done whatsoever? If this were the automotive industry, there would be so many recalls on some products that some manufacturers could conceivebly go out of business, or heaven forbid actually have to make a product that works properly.

Yah, I know that there is a lot of crap in the car world as well, but it seems to me that the mtb world has a much higher percentage of rotten equipment than they do.

And why do we have to pay so much for these parts if they are not tested and approved? Why are we paying over $2000 for a frame that cost only a few hundred to buy out of Tiawan? Or over $25 for seals that cost only $3.50 from a supplier? Eveything is so ridiculously overpriced that I wonder how much longer I can afford this sport.

Have we fallen for marketing hype and been so blinded by next years new colours that we fail to notice the deficiencies or lack of improvements? Or have we bent ourselves over the perverbial hood of the car and asked for this load of crap to be rammed in our faces the hard way?

Pardon the rant but i have been at work for nearly 24hrs now and just need to vent.

can't fix stupid

Aug. 28, 2003, 5:59 a.m.

Hrrmm.. yeah stuff IS getting ridiculously expensive. But I don't think it's some evil plot to keep us broke. Might be interesting to have some of the "industry people"™ on this board explain how the markup on mtb products is justified. Dom?

::Team Pancake Pride::
::Team Nice BMX::

Aug. 28, 2003, 6:11 a.m.

Im not an "Industry person" (TM), but markup isn't exactly what you think it is.

Working at a shop, I know exactly how much things are marked up. You think the bike industry is bad?

You spend 2g's on a frame that may only cost 700 to make in Japan, but the R[HTML_REMOVED]D and the company over head all are factored into it. Several companies are barely making a profit on the frames. Coming from personal experience in pro-dealing a frame, if I paid manufacturer cost, then everyone is getting a hell of a deal.

You notice the mark up so much because there are so many of us in the "industry" (be it shop employee or bike maker), that let the prices leak out. It's no secret that a $40 part from QBP is going to cost the customer $75 or so (which is dead on par with MSRP by the way).

You think bikes are bad? What do you get with $225 USD for a bike? Pro-tapers, grips, shifters, front and rear derailuers, and maybe a stem. You get an entire front end. OR you can buy one pair of Oakley sunglasses.

Markup? I think so.

To let you in on a secret about markup, I just spent $94 on a pair of Oakley Magnesium Switch sunglasses. Almost makes you think that the bike industry might just be giving you a better deal than you want to admit to.

If you didn't know that a $40 part would cost you $75 bucks, then you would never know about the mark up.

Just keep telling yourself "At least it's cheaper than skiing"

I like my women like I like my Scotch. 15 years old and mixed up with coke.

Aug. 28, 2003, 9:26 a.m.

Originally posted by BAC5.2
You spend 2g's on a frame that may only cost 700 to make in Japan

They still import frames from Japan? Aside from a handful of Rivendell road frames, I thought the vast majority of frames were imported from Taiwan and China.

Also, overseas shipping can double the cost of an item, once you factor in trucking from factory to overseas port, container shipment, customs broker fees, duties, trucking from port to assembly factory here in North America, loss from shipping damage (which is covered by insurance but raises your shipping costs per unit), etc.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 28, 2003, 9:36 a.m.

Originally posted by mudshArk
Why are we paying over $2000 for a frame that cost only a few hundred to buy out of Tiawan? Or over $25 for seals that cost only $3.50 from a supplier? Eveything is so ridiculously overpriced that I wonder how much longer I can afford this sport.

why does a dog lick its ball? same thing….cause IT CAN.

Aug. 28, 2003, 10:01 a.m.

norco VPS costs 14 bucks to produce after paint and decals (w/o shock)

www.idun.tv
03' marzocchi dirt jumper 2
new steerer, crown, stantions
$300 obo

Aug. 28, 2003, 10:28 a.m.

J dot

I dont think so the price of metal is more than jsut 14 $. plus factor in the wage of the person welding it and its a lot more than 14$.

LusciousLopez live

Aug. 28, 2003, 10:41 a.m.

they get paid hardly anything over there

SELLING: 2003 norco sasquatch frame 210$obo PM for more info

Aug. 28, 2003, 11:34 a.m.

Originally posted by well ridden

You're missing the point. Mudshark is talking about the gap between the estimated cost from the factory and the actual retail price you pay for bike parts.

Where is this mythical "over there"? Bike parts are manufactured all over the world.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 28, 2003, 12:20 p.m.

Originally posted by well ridden

Pippin says Taiwanese welders make 3 times as much money as their Canadian counterparts.

Aug. 28, 2003, 12:43 p.m.

you shouldnt have posted. maybee pm'ed me

sorry if im pissing you off

SELLING: 2003 norco sasquatch frame 210$obo PM for more info

Aug. 28, 2003, 2:04 p.m.

Originally posted by sanrensho
They still import frames from Japan? Aside from a handful of Rivendell road frames, I thought the vast majority of frames were imported from Taiwan and China.

No they don't, Japan lost another war when it became obvious they couldn't compet with Taiwan. Wich in turn is now facing the same situation with regard to China. But unlike Japan Taiwan has the A-Team, wasss thats you might ask?

The A-Team was founded by Taiwan's two largest bike makers, Giant Bicycles and Merida, along with a consortium of other Taiwanese builders. The group is commited to keeping Taiwan's bicycle industry alive, rather then watch it move to China.

Also, overseas shipping can double the cost of an item, once you factor in trucking from factory to overseas port, container shipment, customs broker fees, duties, trucking from port to assembly factory here in North America, loss from shipping damage (which is covered by insurance but raises your shipping costs per unit), etc

Very well put, also you have to take into account currency fluctuation.

Originally posted by Leroy McRodney

Because it has very little brain power and nothing better to do. So, unless you have something constructive to add stay out of this topic please.

Originally posted by J dot

This is possibly one of the most irresponsible post I have seen in a while.

Do you know for a fact or are you just assuming?

Do you think Norco peeps would appreciate this gesture of yours, I think not. Even though your claim is way of the mark some will still take its has the truth. Now Norco will get harras by missinformed peep about their outrageous (insert sarcasm) mark up…and you wonder why not more of us come here:rolleyes:

Stop assuming and check your facts :mad:

Aug. 28, 2003, 5:28 p.m.

Originally posted by Leroy McRodney

i donno about you but if i could lick my balls.. i wouldent :rolleyes:

Aug. 28, 2003, 8:33 p.m.

Originally posted by ATN
Pippin says Taiwanese welders make 3 times as much money as their Canadian counterparts.

Are you sure you heard right, 'cuz I don't believe that for a second.

Aug. 28, 2003, 8:46 p.m.

Originally posted by speed metal
Are you sure you heard right, 'cuz I don't believe that for a second.

I'm pretty sure it's true, too bad the Gear forum got nuked, I'd like to look at that thread again.

Still, we can all be sure Taiwanese welders at least as much as Canadians, no sweat shops.