Painting / stripping my frame

July 20, 2006, 2:55 p.m.

if the current finish on your bike is adhering but simply needs freshening up due to scratchs nicks and gouges, then there is NO need to strip the frame…

all that is required is to sand the finish in P400, and backsand out the scrapes and other paint damage..

apply a quality primer/surfacer, allow to dry, then resand/denib lightly with a P500… clean, clean and finally clean it some more..

allow to dry… then go ahead and spray your color coats…

finally crack a beer and sit back and watch teh paint dry…8-)

p.d. glad to hear ur still enjoying the Norco Dave…8-), havent seen u at Whistla yet…

July 20, 2006, 4 p.m.

p.d. glad to hear ur still enjoying the Norco Dave…8-), havent seen u at Whistla yet…

Nope, probably won't. I'm not a big Whistler guy. I've got 3 weeks of holidays to burn up this year though, so I might be planning some mid-week trips.

July 21, 2006, 5:13 a.m.

IFO painted this

Over this

He kinda knows what he's talking about. I've been bashing and scraping the shit out of it for a couple of months now, and I can't see any of the old finish coming through anywhere.

Very sexy

July 24, 2006, 12:25 a.m.

Aircraft stripper is the stuff man. Thats what you can use. Than again you can use a die grinder. Maybe brake fluid :) Just kidding, dont use brake fluid, paint will never stick again.

Id say strip it, sand it smooth and rid of the chemicals

Than Id get it powder coated. Someone said it doesnt have as nice of a finish. It has a beautiful finish, almost if not the same finish. Doesnt break off, doesnt scratch easy. Its the ultimate thing.

Oct. 16, 2006, 7:03 p.m.

IFO, what clear coat do you recommend? I completely stripped my frame (aircraft stripper) and polished it to a high shine with Mothers Mag polish last year, then sprayed a couple coats of clear but it didn't last long.

Do I need to clean the frame to remove left over polish (when I sprayed on some "Super Clean" degreaser in a small spot it came off black from the polish even though obviously you can't see it on the frame). Was thinking about gettng it professionally cleared but am selling it so don't want to invest too much money.

Thanks!

edit - just waded through a bunch of other painting threads and see that it likely won't bond without an etching primer so might just leave it polished and sell it with a jar of Mother's unless you have any other suggestions!

Oct. 16, 2006, 9:41 p.m.

the polish will leave some stuff on the surface. i would recommend cleaning it off w/ lacquer thinner or acetone before painting.

:high: :.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.: :high:

Oct. 16, 2006, 11:05 p.m.

to be honest u cant really clear coat over polished Alloy.. unless its brand new..

even then u have to use clear adhesion promoters..which are few and far bewteen.. and not commercialy avaialable in teh aftermarket..

most metal prep/adhesion promoters u can buy at retail stores will have some color mostly being dull green or red..

trouble with buffing alloy is it removes most of teh surface imprefections that paint uses to stick to..

paint needs both a mechanical (sanding provides this) and a chemical (paint provides this) bond to stick..

hope that helps…

Oct. 17, 2006, 7:03 p.m.

thanks guys, totally makes sense. Think I'll just leave it polished then.

Dec. 1, 2006, 10:04 a.m.

if the current finish on your bike is adhering but simply needs freshening up due to scratchs nicks and gouges, then there is NO need to strip the frame…

all that is required is to sand the finish in P400, and backsand out the scrapes and other paint damage..

apply a quality primer/surfacer, allow to dry, then resand/denib lightly with a P500… clean, clean and finally clean it some more..

allow to dry… then go ahead and spray your color coats…

finally crack a beer and sit back and watch teh paint dry…8-)

What if you are just touching up paint chips? I have the touch up paint that came with the bike, if I just sand and then apply the paint will it adhere properly, or do I need a primer. The largest chip is about 1cm by 1cm.

Dec. 1, 2006, 10:19 p.m.

u can sand out teh chip area and tap/apply the touch up piant but its certainly not gunan make teh area disappear..

mechincally apllied paint (as in using a brush) doesnt dry/lay out teh same as pnematicaly apllied paint (as in spray painted)..

Dec. 1, 2006, 11:20 p.m.

HEY IFO is here again

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

Dec. 2, 2006, 12:07 a.m.

With the existence of DIY media blasting facilities such as Langley U-Blast, there is no reason whatsoever to subject your frame, nor the environment, to chemical stripping.

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions

Dec. 2, 2006, 12:19 a.m.

what is wrong with the paint stripper from lordco
wondering because i am planning to paint very soon and am just about to strip the paint

brokezors

Dec. 2, 2006, 1:14 p.m.

what is wrong with the paint stripper from lordco

Chemical paint strippers are highly toxic, and difficult to dispose of properly. Media blasting is the environmentally sensible way to go.

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions

Dec. 4, 2006, 12:52 p.m.

u can sand out teh chip area and tap/apply the touch up piant but its certainly not gunan make teh area disappear..

mechincally apllied paint (as in using a brush) doesnt dry/lay out teh same as pnematicaly apllied paint (as in spray painted)..

Thanks IFO, right now all I am wanting to do is touch up the scratches, so this is good advice. Maybe I will get it completely painted next year.