Packing for packless riding

June 12, 2015, 9:53 a.m.

Yeah, my chromag only has one set of bottle mounts. It would be nice having a second pair.

Wrong. Always.

June 12, 2015, 10:11 a.m.

Water Bottle on frame.

this is my standard setup. if something breaks / flats, etc, i just ride it out, gwinn style.

i hose clamped a bottle cage on my last bike that didn't have bottle mounts, but i won't buy another bike that doesn't have said provision - in a sensible location (ie, not bottom of down tube).

for racing i use a minimalist jogging bum bag under the jersey for the co2 / phone / multitool / levers. fully stealth. tried the raceface ripstrip thing on - too wide, with poorly optimized storage pockets (hard to reach quickly, no secured zipped storage, etc). also tried on the stash vest; again, the pockets weren't great, and i wouldn't want to wear a second layer now that it's warm.

June 12, 2015, 10:12 a.m.

Why cant you all fathom wearing a "Fanny Pack" and instead just ignore this post.
Its not like it your gonna wear it to the Pub afterwards with a 80's mesh 1/2 top.

Function before Fashion , these Waist Packs are the best , they pack a ton and its off your back and sits low for good center of gravity. They stay put as well.

The new Dakine Micro packs are $ 30.00 and will fit a tube, pump, mini tool, wallet, keys, snack bar , and 2 collapsible water bottles. This micro pack with a frame water bottle and your set with 1.5L water and everything else you may require.

The pictured pack is the original Dakine waist pack which is larger and can therefore fit 3-4 collapsible bottles along with everything else.

It time you all embrace the waist pack…seriously!!

Or

Cramp up from dehydration and or overheating from wearing a backpack

June 12, 2015, 10:13 a.m.

Or get Truelove to do it in Squamish.

yeah, thinking I'll just go have a chat with the boys over at chromag/give them shit for not having the second set! ha!

June 12, 2015, 10:21 a.m.

yeah, thinking I'll just go have a chat with the boys over at chromag/give them shit for not having the second set! ha!

Tell em they've angered Buster Bluth while you're at it!
:idea:

Wrong. Always.

June 12, 2015, 10:23 a.m.

Why cant you all fathom wearing a "Fanny Pack" and instead just ignore this post.
Its not like it your gonna wear it to the Pub afterwards with a 80's mesh 1/2 top.

Function before Fashion , these Waist Packs are the best , they pack a ton and its off your back and sits low for good center of gravity. They stay put as well.

The new Dakine Micro packs are $ 30.00 and will fit a tube, pump, mini tool, wallet, keys, snack bar , and 2 collapsible water bottles. This micro pack with a frame water bottle and your set with 1.5L water and everything else you may require.

The pictured pack is the original Dakine waist pack which is larger and can therefore fit 3-4 collapsible bottles along with everything else.

It time you all embrace the waist pack…seriously!!

Or

Cramp up from dehydration and or overheating from wearing a backpack

I guess the fact that that one is camo and says Dakine on it makes it kind of cool. Colour me intrigued. Just might try it out.

Wrong. Always.

June 12, 2015, 10:27 a.m.

What model is that? I can't find it on the dakine website.

Wrong. Always.

June 12, 2015, 11:18 a.m.

Its the Dakine Enduro Hip Pack….not sure if its still available as this year they launched a smaller version called the "Hot Laps Pack… the new smaller version is better.

June 12, 2015, 11:26 a.m.

Its the Dakine Enduro Hip Pack….not sure if its still available as this year they launched a smaller version called the "Hot Laps Pack… the new smaller version is better.

Thanks. I'm trying to figure out what size to go for. I think something smaller would probably be best as long as it holds a small pump, tube, tire levers, multitool, sram links, phone, license, visa, cash. But I wonder if the ability to hold another water bottle would be better (since my bike has one bottle holder.)

I see MEC has some with an external water bottle holder ring/strap.

Will investigate Hot Laps.

Wrong. Always.

June 12, 2015, 11:36 a.m.

Hot laps looks perfect actually.

Wrong. Always.

June 12, 2015, 12:33 p.m.

The hot laps has a bottle pocket on the side. I don't think I would ever use it though. I don't want to carry anything too heavy there. Holds a Lezune pump tube, gels, wallet and phone. mini tool and keys just fine. In winter the battery for the light will go in or be on the belt.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 12, 2015, 12:45 p.m.

Short of having a second set of holes drilled in my frame, is there any other approach to securely attaching a water bottle mount to a frame? I see there are a couple options out there but they all look like they'd fall off in a hardtail mountain biking environment. Ductape might do but damn bitch that's ghetto.

Wrong. Always.

June 12, 2015, 12:48 p.m.

The hot laps has a bottle pocket on the side. I don't think I would ever use it though. I don't want to carry anything too heavy there. Holds a Lezune pump tube, gels, wallet and phone. mini tool and keys just fine. In winter the battery for the light will go in or be on the belt.

Put another collapsible water bottle in there for the initial climb up only, drink it down at the top and pack it away so you don't loose it. Now you still have up to 2 more bottles in the pack plus one on your bike.

Good to go for 2+ more hours

June 12, 2015, 12:57 p.m.

Thanks. I'm trying to figure out what size to go for. I think something smaller would probably be best as long as it holds a small pump, tube, tire levers, multitool, sram links, phone, license, visa, cash. But I wonder if the ability to hold another water bottle would be better (since my bike has one bottle holder.)

I see MEC has some with an external water bottle holder ring/strap.

Will investigate Hot Laps.

i have the MEC one that can hold 2 bottles , it,s a little big IMO . i do like the waist straps and the padding that it has , no belt pressure on the hip bones like the CamelBak fannypak caused , plus it does not flip over like the CamelBak did when i ran it with no bladder in it . with bladder it was uncomfortable to ride with , the design needs wider belt straps and padding similar to the MEC pack .

http://www.mec.ca/product/5028-689/mec-trail-ht-waist-pack-unisex/

http://www.camelbak.com/en/Canada/Sports-Recreation/Packs/Flashflo-LR.aspx

as i looked for the link i see Camelbak has redesigned the pack from the version i have .

#northsidetrailbuilders

June 12, 2015, 1 p.m.

i stick a tube in one side where the bottle would go and on the other side i had one of those redbull can sized co2 canisters and a regular sized canister as well .

http://www.backcountry.com/images/items/large/INN/INN0010/ONECOL.jpg

#northsidetrailbuilders