Packing for packless riding

June 12, 2015, 8:01 a.m.

yes you're right that was too far. didn't know your friend had been killed however, so my condolences on that.

fwiw it was just situational play, not meant to be a direct attack on you personally.

I don't care, you're general attitude is complete shit, you come here just to rip on me? Go play in traffic prick. As if there was any humour in that.

June 12, 2015, 8:03 a.m.

I've been running "packless" for a little more than a season now for both bike park and trail rides under approx. 2 hours. Love having the back free of mass, keeps me cooler, and more mobile. My system:

1. Big hydration immediately before ride
2. Water bottle on the frame
3. Micro Waist pack - the key for me is feeding the waist pack straps through the belt loops on my shorts so I don't feel the strap and it doubles as a belt. This one: http://www.mec.ca/product/5034-457/mec-travel-light-hip-pack/?Ntk=productsearch_en_q32008[HTML_REMOVED]h=10[HTML_REMOVED]q=fanny%2Bpack

What's inside?
- tube
- patches and glue
- multi-tool
- micro-handpump (don't trust Co2)

Phone in pocket.

In the park, I just drink at top or bottom. This waist pack fits snugly underneath my backplate, so you don't even see it or feel it in the park.

June 12, 2015, 8:14 a.m.

I don't care, you're general attitude is complete shit, you come here just to rip on me? Go play in traffic prick. As if there was any humour in that.

if i'd know there had been a death involved with one of your friends i wouldn't have touched it.

anyway, poor choice on my part and i gave you an apology for it. how you want to take that is up to you.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 12, 2015, 8:17 a.m.

no pack for shorter [HTML_REMOVED]2-3hr rides is the best. like many I go with large bottle, tube/levers/co2 taped below bottle cage by BB, small fanny pack for chain breaker, zip ties, small pump, and an emergency gel or bar. I do wish chromag had a second bottle cage mount on the seattube….

June 12, 2015, 8:35 a.m.

I've been running "packless" for a little more than a season now for both bike park and trail rides under approx. 2 hours. Love having the back free of mass, keeps me cooler, and more mobile. My system:

1. Big hydration immediately before ride
2. Water bottle on the frame
3. Micro Waist pack - the key for me is feeding the waist pack straps through the belt loops on my shorts so I don't feel the strap and it doubles as a belt. This one: http://www.mec.ca/product/5034-457/mec-travel-light-hip-pack/?Ntk=productsearch_en_q32008[HTML_REMOVED]h=10[HTML_REMOVED]q=fanny%2Bpack

What's inside?
- tube
- patches and glue
- multi-tool
- micro-handpump (don't trust Co2)

Phone in pocket.

In the park, I just drink at top or bottom. This waist pack fits snugly underneath my backplate, so you don't even see it or feel it in the park.

almost forgot why i came to this thread…

like xxx'er said as well, proper hydration before is critical and i leave a 1L or larger bottle of water in the truck for after the ride. unless it's a ride over 2.5 hours or the temps are high i won't bother with a bladder - too much weight. keys/tools/tube stuffed into a water bottle or under seat bag - i really hate the ides of a multi-tool in a hip pocket and crash landing on that. i have this old axiom mini pack that i ride with sometimes too, perfect size for tools etc plus the wallet/phone. it's small enough that you don't notice it's there.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 12, 2015, 8:39 a.m.

I do wish chromag had a second bottle cage mount on the seattube….

I have a drill ;) or do like Kenny and tape a bottle to your frame, that way you don't even need a shirt.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

June 12, 2015, 8:40 a.m.

Flip, couldn't you just drill the frame to make your own mounting holes?

June 12, 2015, 8:56 a.m.

I have a drill ;) or do like Kenny and tape a bottle to your frame, that way you don't even need a shirt.

and you can wear black jeans! not sure how I feel about free drilling my Samurai….

June 12, 2015, 9:17 a.m.

hose clamps are your friend.

June 12, 2015, 9:24 a.m.

It's funny how things change. I think it was a year or two ago a very similar question was posed here and hardly anybody went packless. It's completely different now.
:idea:

Wrong. Always.

June 12, 2015, 9:31 a.m.

It's funny how things change. I think it was a year or two ago a very similar question was posed here and hardly anybody went packless. It's completely different now.
:idea:

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=159859[HTML_REMOVED]highlight=pack

Ellen Langer

June 12, 2015, 9:33 a.m.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=159859[HTML_REMOVED]highlight=pack

I was cool before it was cool…lol

June 12, 2015, 9:40 a.m.

Learned this trick a few weeks ago and tested it out and it works amazing. If you get a flat on a tubeless tire and the sealant won't hold it, just stuff a piece of t-shirt (socks, underwear or even some shop towel worked for me) into the hole with a 2mm allen key and hit it with the CO2 and you're good to go.

I fixed a friend's tire with this technique with some shop towel and it was holding 3 days later after shuttle laps in Revy and on Mt 7. It was a largish hole in the sidewall that nobody thought would hold. And since you usually catch a tubeless flat before it's totally empty, you only need one CO2 to get it up to pressure.

Makes packless riding easier when all you need is a piece of material, a CO2 canister and dispenser and an allen key set. Put a chain link inside the end of your handlebar with some duct tape too for good measure.

On my DH bike, I put 2 CO2 canisters and some material inside the seatpost.

I'm going to experiment with the Lezyne CO2 hose so that I always have a dispenser on hand. They will fit inside a handlebar, except for the end. Would require either trimming the bar 10mm on one side, or sliding your lock on grip out 10mm on both sides.

I also have been running a money belt that I tuck into my shorts on the front when I ride my DH bike. Mini tool, CO2 dispenser and phone goes in there. Don't even notice its there when I'm riding. Keeps tools out of harms way when you crash so you don't end up with a huge haematoma in your leg like I did once.

June 12, 2015, 9:46 a.m.

My buddy's set up is: Water Bottle on frame. Always ride ahead of guy with pack.

June 12, 2015, 9:48 a.m.

Well two or three years ago bottle mounts were less common on many bikes. And people-wear loose jerseys with no proper pockets so packs were required. I won't put anything but soft stuff in the pockets of my baggies. I don't want to land on a phone or mini tool. Although that might be a concern landing on your back, I just land on my side or slide out way more often than land on my back which actually in over 30 years riding off road I can't remember doing with any force. Rolls yes but actual flat on my back and that would have to be lower back where the pockets are, I don't think I have. My old Highball had two bottle mounts. On a hardtail with room for two, its a design error not to have two. Pretty easy to install I think using rivnuts. Or get Truelove to do it in Squamish.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.