Packing for packless riding

June 11, 2015, 10:18 p.m.

The one negative of pockets is sweaty phones and wallet for me. Too much stuff in jersey pockets can be uncomfortable and the jersey needs to be fairly snug or stuff flops about the jersey hangs down to your ass. I do like the swat bibs though. I tried a race face rip strip but keep blowing the zippers. Not bad for comfort though. Small ass packs are OK too. I have a Dakine that I put phone wallet tool pump and tube in. A little food maybe. Bottle on the frame. Ditch carrying Stan's though. Carry a tube. You have sealant in there now and if that can't seal the hole more sealant probably won't help.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 11, 2015, 10:47 p.m.

700ml of water for 4 hours? What's your average ride like?

Average ride 15-25k, out 2-3 hours. You're right, 4 hours would be pushing it, at least in the summer. I drink a good amount beforehand and keep water in the car, that helps.

As for tubeless repair, sounds like a spare tube and tire boots would be more reliable than relying on extra fluid… I was kind of suspecting that. Will try to fit those things under my seat.

June 11, 2015, 10:52 p.m.

Average ride 15-25k, out 2-3 hours. You're right, 4 hours would be pushing it, at least in the summer. I drink a good amount beforehand and keep water in the car, that helps.

As for tubeless repair, sounds like a spare tube and tire boots would be more reliable than relying on extra fluid… I was kind of suspecting that. Will try to fit those things under my seat.

I guess it doesn't typically get up to 30-35 degrees here eh? Southern Ontario was so hot last year we'd have to take long breaks mid day to avoid heat stroke, and swim, and drink beer haha

June 11, 2015, 11:29 p.m.

You're a strange animal, that's what I know.

The pack and the stuff in the pack isn't that heavy I find. When you've got a full 1.5 litre or 2 litre bladder in it, that's when it starts to bug my back (and my back is a mess.) I find I'm better off putting less in the bladder (maybe half full) and running a bottle on the frame instead. I think I'll try drinking more before and after I ride like what's been mentioned here.

But some places I've ridden I need to bring a crapload of water…Okanagan in the summer, Palm Springs, Hawaii-bottle on the frame, two bladders in the pack. It's scary running out of water in the desert or a tropical climate.

Wrong. Always.

June 12, 2015, 7:02 a.m.

I guess it doesn't typically get up to 30-35 degrees here eh? Southern Ontario was so hot last year we'd have to take long breaks mid day to avoid heat stroke, and swim, and drink beer haha

If it gets to 30, I ride in the morning before it gets too hot.

June 12, 2015, 7:16 a.m.

Haha not an option back home unless by morning you mean prior to sun up :p there are some nights I can remember where even after sundown it was still near 30 degrees.

June 12, 2015, 7:21 a.m.

I use a ski strap for my tube, levers and CO2 canister. Mini tool (w/ chain break) and CO2 nozzle in my pocket. Still have room for a bar if I need one and I refill in creeks if need be.

Keys stashed under the rear bumper of the car, no phone.

June 12, 2015, 7:22 a.m.

c'mon, give the kid a break, he needs his sleep. it's not like your up till all hours of the morning with your friends getting stabbed and causing general mayhem.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 12, 2015, 7:27 a.m.

A bottle on the frame has been good for ~28km.
I think I threw the small multi tool from my road bike in my shorts that day

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 12, 2015, 7:38 a.m.

c'mon, give the kid a break, he needs his sleep. it's not like your up till all hours of the morning with your friends getting stabbed and causing general mayhem.

I can't wait until someone you know is murdered in cold blood syncro, might take you down a notch, you piece of fucking shit. What a thing to make fun of somebody for. Fuck you.

June 12, 2015, 7:42 a.m.

The one negative of pockets is sweaty phones and wallet for me. ..

Hanging with some ex-pro roadies I noticed they keep their phones [HTML_REMOVED] money in a zip lock so I assume its a common way to deal with the issue

June 12, 2015, 7:48 a.m.

Hanging with some ex-pro roadies I noticed they keep their phones [HTML_REMOVED] money in a zip lock so I assume its a common way to deal with the issue

Yeah I've seen this before as well, seems uncomfortable though, especially if you're wearing anything that's not baggy. Talked to a guy in Victoria that was drenched in sweat a couple weeks ago, everything he had was in ziplocks, map, phone, GPS.. Lol

June 12, 2015, 7:49 a.m.

Sleeveless summer (super thin) roadie jersey under a normal baggy top for me. 3 big pockets on the back [HTML_REMOVED] usually pockets on my riding shorts is plenty enough carrying capacity.

Also one who hates riding with a pack, nothing worse than feeling like you're being strangled by a sweaty midget.

I tend to run a 750 bottle on the bike, use a BCR strap for the tube [HTML_REMOVED] small pump which goes under the saddle, everything else I can get in my jersey pockets - including a small, collapseable water bottle as backup.

Raced many an enduro with that setup. I don't drink a huge amount when on the bike though.

In the heat, and bigger all day races I expect i'll have to resort to a pack again.

Blur 4X - Sunday Factory.

June 12, 2015, 7:49 a.m.

I can't wait until someone you know is murdered in cold blood syncro, might take you down a notch, you piece of fucking shit. What a thing to make fun of somebody for. Fuck you.

yes you're right that was too far. didn't know your friend had been killed however, so my condolences on that.

fwiw it was just situational play, not meant to be a direct attack on you personally.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 12, 2015, 7:55 a.m.

On frame: bottle (bottle cage), tube (taped inside front triange)

In pockets: CO2, multitool, zip ties, chain master link, derailleur hanger, Cliff Bar, phone, cards

I have been using Specialized SWAT bibs and they're great.