Packing for packless riding

June 11, 2015, 6:02 p.m.

I hate riding with backpack. The fact that it's uncomfortable and sweaty is second to the back pain it gives me due to extra strain on my lower back.

Do you ride packless? What do you bring? How do you carry it?

For 2-4 hour rides in summer weather on my Norco Sight, this is currently what I bring

- 700ml water bottle on frame
- Phone [HTML_REMOVED] powerbar in pockets
- Pouch under the seat with small multitool, CO2 [HTML_REMOVED] inflator, 80ml of stan's fluid, two tire levers

Obviously I run tubeless… I could bring a spare tube instead of fluid but would add bulk and weight. I haven't had a tubeless flat yet though so I don't know if I'll be ok without the tube.

June 11, 2015, 6:12 p.m.

I had a run of two tubeless tires where you could see/feel where the hole was on the outside, but from the inside everything was just fine. Furthermore, the tons of goop inside the tire couldn't find the hole to fill, resulting in the inability to hold air.

Riding tubeless up until that point for me was stellar. Since then, I've given up on tubeless.

Granted, I did purchase them from what I'm guessing is a Canadian grey-market importer, but still.

June 11, 2015, 6:23 p.m.

Every time I hear of people taking less than a litre of water on a ride over an hour I think I must be drinking too much water.

I've tried the packless thing but like to have a really small pack to carry a water bladder (filled with ice so it's nice and cool).

Then again it's 30degrees by 9am where I live

June 11, 2015, 6:26 p.m.

I wouldn't go without a tube/patch kit/real mtb pump

You can get a pump with a clip that will mount under the water bottle cage, a rolled up tube weighs [HTML_REMOVED]200 grams, a patch kit weighs almost nothing

don't forget to factor in what a co2 inflator [HTML_REMOVED] stans fluid weighs

drink a bunch before you ride, it helps if you start the ride very well hydrated

June 11, 2015, 6:47 p.m.

June 11, 2015, 7:52 p.m.

700ml of water for 4 hours? What's your average ride like? A fully loaded 2L camelback is rated for 2-2.5 hours of riding….honestly I couldn't ride packless and I wouldn't really suggest it to anyone going out for a day of riding, or anything over two hours/ten km.
On a day out, in my pack I have 3 litres of water,a tube or two, tire levers, my tool, a pump, some granola/energy bars/fruit, my rain jacket, some spare chain link, sunglasses and my pipe/lighter and chronic.
Ime going out carrying more leads to a better and longer day and saves your ass in an emergency.
Maybe you need to try a different pack? I never find my bag heavy and I ride with it literally every day.

June 11, 2015, 8:11 p.m.

I hate riding with backpack. The fact that it's uncomfortable and sweaty is second to the back pain it gives me due to extra strain on my lower back.

Do you ride packless? What do you bring? How do you carry it?

For 2-4 hour rides in summer weather on my Norco Sight, this is currently what I bring

- 700ml water bottle on frame
- Phone [HTML_REMOVED] powerbar in pockets
- Pouch under the seat with small multitool, CO2 [HTML_REMOVED] inflator, 80ml of stan's fluid, two tire levers

Obviously I run tubeless… I could bring a spare tube instead of fluid but would add bulk and weight. I haven't had a tubeless flat yet though so I don't know if I'll be ok without the tube.

80ml of stan's fluid is pretty useless when you slash your tire… you need at least a tire boot and tube to get home… a small pack is still the best option IMO…

June 11, 2015, 8:25 p.m.

Been trying to ditch packs for a few years now.

Set up is currently: Bottle on frame, collapsible bottle in jersey pocket, tube/patch kit under saddle, pump velcro'd to frame, multi tool in pocket, phone in jersey pocket, Knee pads around ankles. Good for solo laps up to 2 hours.

Tried going the hip pack route, never really worked. Am curious about the new shirt/bladder combos, but not convinced.

Longr rides, I go with a pack.

June 11, 2015, 9:19 p.m.

i like riding without a pack , i am not a huge consumer of water when i ride anyways as i drink several liters a water everyday on the norm and drink more the day of my ride if i ride after work .

packing lite for me is keys and glasses in the cargo pockets on my shorts , water bottle , tube , and pump on frame , shot blocs/energy bar in front pockets and phone and toolbag on my back in my raceface stash vest .

the vest also can be used for additional storage or packing a 1.5l bladder .

for enduro racing and park riding i have a alpinestars safety jacket with rear stash pockets and a 1.5l bladder as well .

#northsidetrailbuilders

June 11, 2015, 9:23 p.m.

I don't mind riding with a pack, feel a little naked with out one. but lately on the shorter rides I have been going pack less. tube and tire leaver strapped under seat. pump attached to bottle cage. small water bottle. mini tool in pocket.

three pocket jerseys work well if you need a little extra. weird that! ;)

xxx-er nailed it in regards to hydration. hydrate before and after.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

June 11, 2015, 9:23 p.m.

Best thing about riding with a pack, is it's always ready to go, I restock my bag every time I get in or use a supply, so when I want to get out the door on my bike I just grab it and go. I only ever have a real problem with the sweaty back if I wear a cotton shirt while I ride, which is something you just shouldn't do anyway. Always feel like when I have bottles and pumps and saddle bags on the bike itself, things get shaken off too easily when I ride off a drop or anything shakey.

June 11, 2015, 9:28 p.m.

Best thing about riding with a pack, is it's always ready to go, I restock my bag every time I get in or use a supply, so when I want to get out the door on my bike I just grab it and go. I only ever have a real problem with the sweaty back if I wear a cotton shirt while I ride, which is something you just shouldn't do anyway. Always feel like when I have bottles and pumps and saddle bags on the bike itself, things get shaken off too easily when I ride off a drop or anything shakey.

for me i triple check what i take so i pack per ride and mountain i,m riding

#northsidetrailbuilders

June 11, 2015, 9:36 p.m.

DM - how is that RF stash vest on hotter days? You run it with a bladder and jersey over top in the summer?

June 11, 2015, 9:43 p.m.

have not used it with a bladder but did wear in for a 10km race under a jersey and just as a vest last nite on my ride and it,s very comfy , i bought 1 size smaller then my jersey so it fits snug , you forget you have pockets or stuff in them , i kept checking for my phone last nite LOL

#northsidetrailbuilders

June 11, 2015, 9:43 p.m.

for most shore rides i find i can get by quite comfortably without a pack. phone, id and keys in the pockets; water bottle (just one; there are these things called streams, see…), pump and tool bolted to the downtube; mini seatbag with a spare tube and snack. hydrate beforehand and have a bottle in the car for apres, good to go for up to 3 hours

i have a pack for longer days. tried one of those enduro fannies but didn't dig the intense lower back sweat

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave