Own a Road Bike?

Jan. 6, 2019, 9:09 a.m.

I have a singlespeed CX bike. It's awesome for ripping around the city and going for a ride where you aren't fully concentrating on steep climbs or technical features. Vancouver is full of cool routes with minimal exposure to cars and if your bike can handle some gravel that goes even further. It's a totally different pedaling experience from mountain biking and for me serves a totally different purpose: humming along you're alone with your thoughts, free to watch the world go by - off-road on the shore you're constantly 'on' picking lines and maximum focus. Riding my road bike is the opposite of that. The fitness from periodic max sprint efforts to get the SS up some hills is really cool.

I have to drive to the shore (or beyond) to ride so it's nice to have an option right out the door.

The SS definitely hits some different muscles but it's the mental logic of SS that carries over to riding on dirt.

I had proper road bikes before and it never really took. Primarily because I hate traditional road riding, I hate wearing lycra and I hate riding in groups. Being dressed in lycra and sharing the elevator? Ugh. Now I basically wear mountain bike gear - it's not like I'm going more than an hour or two. The CX gravel approach means I can be as solitary as I want and not have some dickhead in white lycra drafting me all day. The city is full of unexpected surprise adventures that I wouldn't have found without the CX bike. I just look on Google Maps, find some spot I've never been to and find a circuitous route to and from and see something new.

Last edited by: craw on Jan. 6, 2019, 12:03 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 6, 2019, 12:41 p.m.

I'm with craw. Except I currently don't even have a gravel/cx/etc bike. I'm not trying to expose myself to idiots driving death machines while messed up on painkillers and sugar and playing with their phones.

Last edited by: 7racer_tong on Jan. 6, 2019, 12:42 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to be more inclusive of bike type
Jan. 6, 2019, 1:08 p.m.

Posted by: craw

The city is full of unexpected surprise adventures that I wouldn't have found without the CX bike. I just look on Google Maps, find some spot I've never been to and find a circuitous route to and from and see something new.

Awesome

Jan. 6, 2019, 3:12 p.m.

Posted by: 7racer_tong

I'm with craw. Except I currently don't even have a gravel/cx/etc bike. I'm not trying to expose myself to idiots driving death machines while messed up on painkillers and sugar and playing with their phones.

Gotta stay off the main roads. Stick to bike routes and secondary streets and it's not really an issue. But yeah, being turned into red mist because some jerk in an Escalade is texting while driving, Starbucks in the other hand is a very understandable concern.

Jan. 6, 2019, 11:15 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

RAHrider, check the dates on the posts

whoa, resurrected from the dead! That has to be a record.

I agree with all y'all, that road riding is dangerous. I grew up in Toronto, and frankly, riding in Vancouver scares me. The roads have no shoulders and the drivers are idiots. I gave up road riding when I moved out here as the routes kinda suck. Side streets drive me crazy as the stop signs ruin the ride and drivers are less likely to stop for a stop sign than they are a red light. I now live 1/2 time north Vancouver island and the road riding is sick! It is the reason I bought a road bike for the first time in almost two decades. Don't blame any of you for preferring the shore over road riding in Vancouver.

Jan. 7, 2019, 7:06 a.m.

I picked up a closeout Roubaix beginning of 2017, carbon, hydro discs, ultegra, I love it...ride it most days in the summer as a commuter, and occasional roadie rides for fitness and something different, but I put some schwalbe cx pro tires on it beginning of 2018 since our roads here in Whistler are pretty shit and covered in debris a lot of the time, it still hauls ass and I didn't get a single flat last year. It definitely cut down on my car use going to work.

Jan. 7, 2019, 10 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

The city is full of unexpected surprise adventures that I wouldn't have found without the CX bike. I just look on Google Maps, find some spot I've never been to and find a circuitous route to and from and see something new.

Awesome

That is true of any place, I guess. I do big rides of about 70 to 120 km pretty regularly and try to stay off the main roads and use small country roads or old train tracks turned bike path. 

I have started sketching and drawing again, and sometimes I end up in pretty nice areas.

Jan. 8, 2019, 12:55 p.m.

Posted by: Mic

Awesome

That is true of any place, I guess. I do big rides of about 70 to 120 km pretty regularly and try to stay off the main roads and use small country roads or old train tracks turned bike path. 

I have started sketching and drawing again, and sometimes I end up in pretty nice areas.

Totally. Vancouver has so much coastline and borders on so much wilderness. You don't have to go far to find some really amazing spots. A single ride could take you to the airport spit through the industrial lands along the Fraser River and back over to the Shore. It's pretty awesome.

Jan. 9, 2019, 9:22 p.m.

Why own a road bike when you can own the magic do all that is a Cyclocross bike.

Jan. 10, 2019, 9:15 p.m.

Posted by: heathen

Why own a road bike when you can own the magic do all that is a Cyclocross bike.

You can own both. N+1 man ... N+1

Jan. 11, 2019, 11:07 a.m.

Gravel bike.

Cyclocross and road are so 2018.

Jan. 11, 2019, 11:33 a.m.

Gravel bike.

Cyclocross and road are so 2018.

There is some great gravel routes to ride. Nice to get away from the cars but hate being called a MAMIL.

Great event

http://www.goldenearsfondo.com/

Site is being redesigned. looks crap right now

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Jan. 11, 2019, 11:49 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 11, 2019, 12:50 p.m.

I like to imagine you spent the entire 14 years since this thread died singularly focused on furiously researching and test riding new bikes.

I'm buying a road bike this week. My research process will likely be the same as it was for my mountain bike; I'll see a bike in the window and say "oooooooooooooh pretty".

so what was it?

Jan. 11, 2019, 7:20 p.m.

Ended up with a Cannondale Synapse disc. Nearly went with a Trek Domane which is a very similar bike, but the Cannondale was neon red. 😮

Running 28c tires on it now, lots of arch room for bigger tires. When these wear I'll likely mount up some proper 32c gravel tires.

Jan. 12, 2019, 4:51 p.m.

Ended up with a Cannondale Synapse disc. Nearly went with a Trek Domane which is a very similar bike, but the Cannondale was neon red. 😮

Running 28c tires on it now, lots of arch room for bigger tires. When these wear I'll likely mount up some proper 32c gravel tires.

Pictures please