Own a Road Bike?

Sept. 8, 2003, 12:45 p.m.

Originally posted by IFO
i just dotn get it… for me there would be NO motivation whatsoever…:???:

It's all about the speed and the power transfer. Plus the ability to swing your leg over your bike and just ride with barely any need for pre- or post-maintenance, putting on armor, driving to trail head, etc. It doesn't get any purer than that.;)

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Sept. 8, 2003, 1:12 p.m.

i'll leave road cycling for my parents. only time i'd ever do a century was if it was all downhill :p

not all who wander are lost.

Sept. 8, 2003, 1:55 p.m.

i used to have this but i sold it. kinda miss it though and may buy another one day. there's a 3-mile circuit in prospect park, with long descents with a sweeping turns and a lake at the foot and (since what goes down must come up) a stiff climb through trees. we used to go early in the morning year round and just spin. no better feeling than waking up on your bike, watching the seasons change through the year, enjoying the quiet calm of the early morning, freezing your goddam nuts off in winter but a shower and a coffee felt amazing afterwards, catching the cool mornings on summer days when it was going to hit 100

http://www.somethinginthewaymag.com

Sept. 8, 2003, 5:30 p.m.

Hell I own two of them. An all weather bike and a racing bike.

Some times it's nice after a stressful day at work to just grab the road bike and head out the door for a ride.

Sept. 8, 2003, 5:37 p.m.

I have a neighbour trying to sell a beautiful Bianchi. It's too big for me, but if anyone is looking for a good deal - he wants $150. PM me, I have a pic and details.

Sept. 8, 2003, 5:39 p.m.

I want a nice roadie that I can ride into UBC from Richmond on.

Nov. 7, 2017, 10:21 p.m.

Just got mine from http://www.aurumania.com/

Nov. 8, 2017, 8:32 a.m.

I own a kind of hybrid bike I use for the occasional commute, for 'gravel' rides, for multi-day trips along rivers and for road biking to get the mileage in. 

Has got a rack for pannier bags and a suspension fork up front, which is at times nice.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Last edited by: Mic on Nov. 8, 2017, 8:36 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 8, 2017, 10:09 p.m.

I’ve got a full Dura Ace SWorks Tarmac Saxo Bank team bike with deep carbon aero wheels. The bike flies everywhere it has gone. It’s f’ing amazing. Depending upon who I’m with and how many, I’ve averaged 45kph for 200km rides out east. What a fast fast fast bike. I want to pull it off the wall to use again for climbing but I need to reglue tubulars first and that’s a bit of a PItA. It hasn’t seen many miles since I moved to the shore because the forest calls me a lot louder than the pavement does.

Nov. 9, 2017, 4:24 a.m.

can I see the pic? :)

Posted by: JBV

nope, i own a 'gravel' bike.

Nov. 9, 2017, 8:31 a.m.

I own a gravel bike with two wheel sets.  Two young kids prevents half day mountain adventures theses days so, in loving anything two wheels this ticks the boxes.  Keeps the fitness up and definitely makes you a stronger mountain biker as far as power and endurance.  Can't beat starting from your garage for time efficiency.  I have lots of gravel routes and dykes in close proximity to my house so it's a blast getting out for an hour rip.

Dec. 16, 2017, 8:21 a.m.

Posted by: ruffsbiker

Just got mine

I like to imagine you spent the entire 14 years since this thread died singularly focused on furiously researching and test riding new bikes.

I'm buying a road bike this week. My research process will likely be the same as it was for my mountain bike; I'll see a bike in the window and say "oooooooooooooh pretty".

Last edited by: Hepcat on Dec. 16, 2017, 8:22 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 5, 2019, 9:43 p.m.

I started out racing road and triathlons. Bike handling is just as big a part of road racing as it is mountain biking. I get more wigged out riding in a criterium than on most trails. Most of you may not have a clue how fast you can take a corner or descend a hill. Racing is a combination of lungs/legs, nerves, skill and tenacity. Anyone who thinks it is boring is uninformed. 

In answer to your question. I just got a new one! A full ultegra carbon CUBE. It's my first carbon road bike and let me say, It's freaking amazing!!!! I don't even have race wheels on it and it is leaps and bounds faster than anything I used to race on.

I also agree with the person who said he liked the efficiency of riding straight from the garage. Sometimes when you get home and just want to get a solid ride in, going right from home is the ticket.

Jan. 5, 2019, 9:46 p.m.

Posted by: _lack

I'm seriously thonking about it!
Got my eye on a used Dde Vinci Apogee with Dura Ace and Altegra running gear.
It feels good - any opinions!?

What year is the Apogee? If it is over 10 years old, I wouldn't pay too much for it. Maybe 750 or 500bucks?

More important than the groupo, is the fit. Is it the right size?

Jan. 5, 2019, 11:15 p.m.

RAHrider, check the dates on the posts