Overtime Sports Bike Shop - Out of Business?

Nov. 13, 2014, 10:42 a.m.

Does anyone know what is going on with Overtime in Coquitlam? I went down there on Saturday and Monday and nobody is there, but lots of mail sitting inside the front door. I've called a number of times since and nobody answers, however the recorded message maintains they are open every day from 10-5.

Their facebook page hasn't been touched in what looks like 11 months. Their domain name is also up for grabs.

They still appeared to have inventory (doesn't really mean anything I guess) - anyone know what's up?

Yours truly,
In Need of New Tires.

Nov. 13, 2014, 1:12 p.m.

I heard Daryl is closing down the bike shop and selling off inventory. Closing his accessory brand Dirty too?

Rumblings I heard, so take it with a grain of salt.

Nov. 13, 2014, 1:32 p.m.

what about his shop tools?

contact info for this fellow with the super cool name?

Nov. 14, 2014, 4:12 p.m.

Thanks guys.

It does seem that they are done. I've continued to try to reach them over the phone and nobody has answered all week.

Too bad. Gary had a good thing going there for a long time.

Nov. 14, 2014, 5:30 p.m.

Sorry to hear this. Used to stop in there after riding Burnaby mtn. Bought a bunch of wheel sets and a few build kits from Gary [HTML_REMOVED] Bill over the years.

Nov. 14, 2014, 6:13 p.m.

Blah blah blah - deleted as someone else deleted their comment so I didn't want to quote them any more :)

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 14, 2014, 9:08 p.m.

Half of Overtime's stock is for sale here: http://www.pinkbike.com/u/matts-bike-shack/buysell/

Doesn't seem all that legit.

what's not legit about it?
Isn't he just buying it and flipping for more money?

Nov. 15, 2014, 10:07 p.m.

I heard Daryl is closing down the bike shop and selling off inventory. Closing his accessory brand Dirty too?

Rumblings I heard, so take it with a grain of salt.

that dirty stuff is crap. i bought a set of pedals and had one snap off at the axle after about 9 months! and im back to running a set of trailkings now that have lasted me almost 4 years.

too bad about the shop though, but it was never the same after gary sold it

Nov. 15, 2014, 10:46 p.m.

(Someone else's quote deleted)

Yes, the age-old problem with being a bike mechanic. They get paid (for the most part…) feck all in relation to the skillz that they possess so pretty well have to do something 'on the side' in order to make ends meet. I've built up an entire workshop over the years (including chasing / facing tools, suspension, TS.2.2, blah blah blah…..I could start a business tomorrow in terms of tools), and have done plenty of work for mates. I've bought and sold plenty of bikes on the likes of CL too. I've always been careful not to pull business away from my employer though. Nowadays managing 15 mechanics is enough for me :D

Re. the parts that guy selling, many people upgrade their parts at an LBS and don't want the old parts. God knows how he ended up with quite so much though. Maybe he was just selling stuff on behalf of the shop, splitting abandoned bikes etc.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 15, 2014, 10:53 p.m.

Geez, I started doing business with Gary and Bill in 1994 and you could swap/exchange your used bike parts. They were up on Blue Mountain and sold more hockey gear than anything else. Memories.

Nov. 15, 2014, 11:02 p.m.

So if I took the time to photograph and upload an ad for all the extra parts I have laying around I'll get called out on the intraweebz too? Schweet!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 16, 2014, 1:10 a.m.

With hours like 10am to 5pm how did anyone with a job ever shop there?

Nov. 16, 2014, 1:14 a.m.

I just got some 24x3" kujos and bmx cranks off that Matt kid. My basement looks 10 times more like a bike chop shop then his place.

Nov. 16, 2014, 9:50 a.m.

I have made the choice to delete my previous posts.

I am sad to see another bike shop go out of business.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Nov. 16, 2014, 4:18 p.m.

If it's not obvious, my comment about splitting abandoned bikes meant exactly that (not a 'chop shop' dealing in stolen goods). Plenty of people get their bikes tuned up and then just abandon them, others leave them if it's found that the frame is cracked, others just donate their old bikes to the staff if they don't want them. I scored a 1994 Specialized Allez carbon road bike with full Shimano 105 gear for free when at Different Bikes for example. Someone just walked in with a couple of bikes, said "I don't need these any more. Here you go!". Result!

treezz
wow you are a ass