Outside of new bike day- what makes you move onto your next bike?

July 16, 2022, 5:41 p.m.

Is it a change of riding style or location?

Has your riding progressed to the point that you're outriding or under riding your bike?

Or is it the latest Geo or Gimmick that gets you going?

I've been on my current bike for 2+ seasons and I went to the bike shop to look at bikes...and to my surprise I walked out thinking the current bike that I have fits everything that I need it to do...

July 16, 2022, 6:34 p.m.

Posted by: ehfour

Is it a change of riding style or location?

Has your riding progressed to the point that you're outriding or under riding your bike?

Or is it the latest Geo or Gimmick that gets you going?

I've been on my current bike for 2+ seasons and I went to the bike shop to look at bikes...and to my surprise I walked out thinking the current bike that I have fits everything that I need it to do...

I started working PT at a bike shop recently and sort of figured I might get tempted to buy a new FS bike given the discount opportunity, but honestly I don't feel all that fired up for anything being made right now. I'm not really onboard 100% with "modern" geo so a lot of bikes just wouldn't suit me and of the ones that would I'm not seeing a compelling reason to replace my existing FS bike. I feel a little motivation to be a team player and ride a brand the store sells, but the high prices of MTBs mean that's not enough to change the status quo. 

My last two FS bikes got replaced as I updated their geo and wheel size 26-->275-->29. One was 9 years old and the other was 4 years old so no fast bike flipping going on. I found trying longer bikes each time made it hard to go back to my older shorter/smaller wheeled machines. 

My current FS bike was a 29er bought in 2018 and it feels pretty much up to date in terms of performance in 2022. I've tried longer bikes since and found I had maxed out so going longer doesn't really tempt me at this point.

I can't really say what will get me to buy a new FS rig. I assume at some point something fresh/interesting/innovative will happen that doesn't involve batteries and a motor. I've been keen on a custom steel FS bike for a while, but that's mostly in the day dream stage and I'm not ready to make anything happen.

July 16, 2022, 8:42 p.m.

I generally start considering replacing my current bike if I think a different bike will enhance my riding experience in some significant way. Over the last decade the two compelling improvements have been wheel size and frame geometry. Weight and suspension travel aren't even part of the equation. In fact my current bike (Knolly fugitive) is heavier and had less travel than the last few bikes I've owned. It definitely improved my riding experience and ability and continues to do so.  I love looking at new bikes, but so far there is no compelling reason to replace the bike I bought in 2019.

July 16, 2022, 8:49 p.m.

For me it's mostly been broken frames, and more recently going longer, but there were 3 bikes of the 14 (trail bikes) I've owned that just sucked and got sold off within a year. I either flog them for a long time or dump them quickly.

Before my current ride (warranty replacement) I went through 4 bikes, going 20-ish mm longer each time. I'm finally at the "right" size with great geo. Don't want longer, could even go 10mm shorter. 490-500mm reach and 64* head angle is my happy place. 

My next bike will be a 29er. But honestly my current bike, a '19 Patrol, is so fun and reliable that I'll just ride it 'till it dies. Might add a short-travel trail ripper to the garage, but will always have a 160-ish do-all bike.

July 16, 2022, 11:52 p.m.

As above, geo and wheel size. The current mullet hardtail with 63° 465mm reach is good, but I wish the FS was longer and had bigger wheels.

July 17, 2022, 3:11 a.m.

I tend to get near 10 years out of everything except my FS bike. Road bikes, CX, hardtail all last until dead or stolen, but the tech and geo evolution in FS bikes does tend to see me swap every 2-3 years. That evolution seems to be slowing and I’m optimistic my planned build will last for a fair bit longer than the last couple.

July 17, 2022, 10:32 a.m.

Got my first bike in 2013 (trek Fuel EX8). New bike late 2019 (SC Hightower 29"). It was mainly geo changes for me. Also just kinda outrode my first one and wanted something for more janky trails I started enjoying. I will definitely ride this one for awhile. My only complaint is it's a bit heavy so feels kinda tank-ish, which is nice, but I may want to play around a bit more as I get better...no clue. But def won't be looking for a few more years!

July 17, 2022, 11:46 a.m.

My garage is full. I'd have to sell a bike to get a new one at this point. It's always a good sign when you don't want to sell any of your bikes.

In terms of purchases in the past 3 years - one chromag (that one is going to stay with me until it breaks), gravel bikes for me and the wife, and a fully rigid marino. Sufficed to say, modern suspension and motors have not roped me in. I find the more complicated bikes have become, the more simple I want to keep my experience. The 6 foot wide jump trails and death defying drops being marketed as the "evolution" of mountain biking are of no interest to me. I am too old to be taking unnecessary risks so the bikes they build for such purposes are also unnecessary. 

I think I would consider a Knolly fugitive - that looks like a bike I'd like to ride and would be able to keep for a long time but then I'd have to sell a bike and I am back where I started.

July 17, 2022, 7:50 p.m.

Getting myself and bike crushed by a driver.

July 17, 2022, 8:18 p.m.

Mostly better geometry (last 2 bikes) as both the bike industry and myself progressed. I typically hang on to a bike for many years (~5 on average) though.

Moving to a different area with different terrain has been a reason as well, for example when I moved to the Shore my XC bike just didn't cut it anymore. I'm moving again next month so we'll see what happens.

I've been on FS bikes for many years now but I can see myself going to a hardtail eventually.

July 18, 2022, 4:58 a.m.

Moving to different areas has been the main driver of bike purchases for me.

I buy bikes depending on local terrain and on the type of riding done by the people I like to ride with.

No use buying a hot new XC race rig if everyone in the group is running Maxxgrip Assegais and tons of travel.

July 18, 2022, 7:32 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Mostly better geometry (last 2 bikes) as both the bike industry and myself progressed. I typically hang on to a bike for many years (~5 on average) though.

Ditto. Wonder what'll be now that the geo has settled.

Last edited by: Hepcat on July 18, 2022, 7:33 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 18, 2022, 8:11 a.m.

XXL bikes were absolute garbage until just a few years ago. So for the last 30 years I've been switching bikes as often as something marginally better came along sometimes 1-3 times a year. As soon as correctly proportioned XLs and XXLs became available my bike switching slowed right now. The G1 is the best bike I've had maybe ever and after two great years there really isn't anywhere for me to go from here. 

But that new Nicolai with the Lal drivetrain has sure piqued my interest. Nicolai-Geometron geometry, high pivot suspension and the first significant improvement to drivetrain technology since abandoning the front derailleur. I'm really curious to see how that drivetrain plays out in the real world. I always loved the idea of a gearbox but the Lal delivers all those benefits in a high-efficiency solution in a solution that I'd actually use.

Last edited by: craw on July 18, 2022, 8:11 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 18, 2022, 8:59 a.m.

When I was younger and training and racing hard in the late 80s and 90s, I was replacing the frame and fork annually. Before that, in the 80s bikes and components were getting better every year at a rapid rate so it was new bike annually. Now I replace when the bike is getting old and I think I need to sell it before it breaks or the standards have changed and parts are harder to come by. In terms of geometry I think in many cases so called progressive geometry has crossed over into stupid. Steep seat tube Nile’s often lead to a cramped cockpit and my knees will hit my hands on tight technical uphill turns. That new Santacruz reported here recently in my size has a shorter top tube than I usually ride and longer reach. That ain’t gonna work for me. Maybe it’s my particular build but sometimes I think modern bike designers don’t ride, they just read. So I’m happy to keep my current bikes running longer. They were awesome bikes when I brought and they still are.

July 18, 2022, 9:28 a.m.

I don't want to thro money at a project bike so I look for the parts I want on the bike I buy

so its usually new parts/ geo, that spurs me to buy a new bike

upgrading to a 1x/ long wb/ slack headtube/ steep seat tube was awesume, going even steeper seat tube/ slacker head tube/ E-motor was even more awesume but YMMV

In  the last 2 years maybe some seat and head angles have got a little steeper,  but not that much has changed really

I have never owned or been owned by purple ano

Last edited by: XXX_er on July 18, 2022, 11:01 a.m., edited 1 time in total.