Options for New 26" Trail Bikes?

Oct. 14, 2013, 11:06 a.m.

Wow, seems like there's lots of support for the Banshee! Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Most of the climbing I do is rooty and technical, so having a climb switch on the shock probably wouldn't get used much…I like to be able to set it and forget it.

Where are you finding your prices and shock options from, Tonestar?

Oct. 14, 2013, 11:20 a.m.

Heh.

Seriously though, I'd happily ride a Spitfire. Alternatively look around in the sales over the fall and buy whatever 26" wheeled bike you can find for next to nothing as everyone is going to be blowing them out due lack of demand (rightly or wrongly).

treezz
wow you are a ass

Oct. 14, 2013, 12:47 p.m.

Wow, seems like there's lots of support for the Banshee! Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Most of the climbing I do is rooty and technical, so having a climb switch on the shock probably wouldn't get used much…I like to be able to set it and forget it.

Do some diligence and lots of reading if you're considering an early (bushing) version Spitfire. Not all experiences smell like roses. The new version looks great though.

Oct. 14, 2013, 10:48 p.m.

That is MSRP from the Canadian Distributor. I had it wrong, the Spitfire V2 frame is $1875 with the X-Fusion rear shock, $2075 with Fox Float CTD, $2400 with CCDB Air.

Oct. 14, 2013, 11 p.m.

Bandit seems like a great value for a super playful and fun bike that also climbs really well. Its simplicity is a bonus too. And despite being light, people beat the crap out of them and the Bandit takes it. I'd say a Knolly Endorphin but something tells me that's out of the price range. The Spitfire is probably the most aggressive trail bike out there if that's of interest to you. Also there's the Stumpy - can't fault it, and you can stick a waterbottle on it which gets brownie points.

I guess a lot of stuff (Norco, Kona, Santa Cruz, Rocky…) all went 650b but I think there's good reason for that.

Oct. 15, 2013, 4:43 a.m.

The V2 Banshees, and especially the Spitfire, are awesome great and reliable Bikes. Plus you can choose between 26 or 650B.

Oct. 15, 2013, 9:29 a.m.

look for 2014 bikes with the new Pike.

:canada:

Oct. 15, 2013, 1 p.m.

I am curious as to why you want to limit yourself to 26" wheels. If you're buying a new bike, why not at least consider the new wheel sizes?

Oct. 15, 2013, 1:04 p.m.

Buy my 11 Range 1!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 15, 2013, 5:37 p.m.

I am curious as to why you want to limit yourself to 26" wheels. If you're buying a new bike, why not at least consider the new wheel sizes?

This.
Where's Biggles when you need him with the "take a bunch of bikes for a test ride and buy the one you like" quote?

Don't focus on wheel size, just like you shouldn't focus on buying an 18" because that's what you have now.

Oct. 15, 2013, 6:16 p.m.

Blasphemy!What the fack is wrong is wrong with you:crazy:

Oct. 15, 2013, 6:33 p.m.

Blasphemy!What the fack is wrong is wrong with you:crazy:

I blame the way he was raised!

www.FVMBA.com

Oct. 15, 2013, 6:36 p.m.

The Pivot Mach5.7 (Carbon or Alu) is a killer bike you should consider also. I love mine.

Oct. 15, 2013, 7:11 p.m.

I blame the way he was raised!

:fu:

Dec. 11, 2013, 9:12 p.m.

Because there's nothing WRONG with 26" wheels, and I'm willing to forego the 6.34% theoretical potential efficiency gains in exchange for progressing with the wheel size I currently enjoy.

I'm not looking to smooth out my trails. I'm looking to become a better rider and I look forward to the rides where I can (sometimes) school my riding buddies on an 'outdated' 26er. If riding a 26er is slower, you need some extra combination of skill and fitness to keep up with riders on the bigger hoops. If I train/ride regularly on a 26er, I should accordingly, over time, become a better rider due to the greater necessity for finesse that those tiny wheels demand. Basically the same reason I stick with flats.

Additionally, I don't like being forced out of modern 26" designs by many of the manufacturers this year and am willing to go out of my way to support a brand that isn't making 26" wheels obsolete. (I recognise that bike technology changes over time - but, unlike a lighter derailleur or a less flexy chainstay, there is no distinct improvement with these newer wheel sizes). I refuse to support planned obsolescence and the disposable consumerist assumptions that support it.

Finally, I'm not at all convinced bigger wheels make a significant difference in performance, given Jerome Clements' and other's results this year.

All wheels have the same size contact patch with a given tire pressure - I'm certainly looking to run higher volume/width tires to be able to use lower pressures.

All in all, I'm excited about a new lighter bike with a good quality dropper post, and want to experience the difference while keeping wheel size constant.