Options for New 26" Trail Bikes?

Dec. 12, 2013, 3:17 p.m.

Don't worry, I'll keep it in the 26" thread, lest I get abused for liking what I have.

Dec. 12, 2013, 3:31 p.m.

Agreed. But if by serious you mean you have to sell all your other bikes and forget all about how much you like them, then I call bullshit. If there's an advantage you should feel it right away, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt. If there's a bit of a learning curve, you should get it in one big ride if you're talented and in tune; a week should be more than plenty for the average enthusiast riding all your hometown favorites. If it takes 2 months, I'm really sorry but all you're doing is giving it enough time to forget what you were used to and can no longer speak with authority on the subject.

Bullshit. Because you like them better, there's no possible way for anyone else to have a real solid go and not like them? Pull your head out.

Quit calling wheelsize technology. Comparing it to dropper posts is asinine. It's no more technology than a different bar width or tire width/volume. People are so headfucked when it comes to weight that they lose all logic so it's no surprise some people are slow to tack on an extra pound for a dropper post. For some reason this logic falls apart with weight due to wheelsize where ironically it has a significantly larger effect.

I'm only being harsh because I'm sick of big wheel proponents carrying on like it's completely unreasonable for anyone to not be on board.

Is it really that hard to see that because there is a difference, preferences will occur in both camps? Surely you can understand why some people don't like 29ers; nearly half the MTB world won't go near them because they feel fundamentally different. Now extrapolate out a little and imagine there being some people that don't like what 650 has to offer, because they too are fundamentally different, just on a smaller scale. It's not because we haven't had a proper go. It's not because we are grumpy old men. In fact it's because I have had a real solid go on one. I've got a buddy who sold his Bronson with Enve rims that he had for 6 months to buy a TRC and Nomad. You think he's just not given it the time or resources? Got another friend who has put 26ers on his $6K 650b'er because he didn't like his carbon rimmed 650 after a month of trying. Would you like me to pass on a message to these guys for you?

I'm not a luddite, I'm not resistant to change and I love technology. My past actions and purchases reflect this. I'm one of the biggest Santa Cruz fanboys going with 4 carbon ones in my garage and they are leading the charge on 650B, so I should be even more likely to jump on board. I tried it. Properly tried it. I don't fucking like it. How hard is it for you to accept it. I accept that you like yours. Keep it, have fun, but don't sling accusations around like you know what's best for the whole cycling world.

I've said this elsewhere, but what really shits me to tears is the same people that would tell you how 1D head angle, 10mm BB height, 10mm bar width, 20mm wheelbase, 15mm chainstay length, 10mm stem length, 0.2" tire width are all factors that make a bike handle differently, and they are in tune enough to feel the difference, have the audacity to say every last person on the planet is an idiot if they say they notice a 37mm difference in wheel diameter and prefer 26".

Neg rep away.

^^^
+ rep
but needs more CAPITAL letters
I hear them in my mind as I read Kram's rant, although I'm not seeing them?

Dec. 12, 2013, 3:44 p.m.

I just pieced together a second hand Devinci Frantic as my shore bike. I must be insane. As I had no fun whatsoever riding up to Espresso and down again at the weekend. I blame my out dated wheel set.

Dec. 12, 2013, 11:42 p.m.

Now, if you like your big wheels that's awesome. But the poor OP can't even ask specifically about 26" bikes without getting sideswiped by 650B.S. Can't we just enjoy what we know and love without the pressure?

I think I'm the one who "sideswiped" him. I was honestly just curious and he had perfectly acceptable reasons.

All three of my personal rides are 26" so I really didn't mean to pressure anyone with my question.

That being said my bikes are pretty far behind tech wise. 9 spd or single speed, 135mm or 150mm rears, 20mm front axles, no press fit bbs, no dropper posts, and no carbon fiber anything. Good for interchanging parts, good for having fun, but certainly missing a few things I wouldn't be opposed to having.
My question came up from my thinking that if I were to buy a new (unused) bike (new bike completely, not just a new frame), I would probably look towards a larger wheel size simply because the 26" does seem a little restrictive in terms of what's available. I'd rather just get all the new tech that appeals to me in one go.
That's simply the route I would go in that situation, but I in no way wish to force this thought on any one else.

Dec. 12, 2013, 11:45 p.m.

No carbon fibre? How do u live w yourself?

Dec. 13, 2013, 7:35 a.m.

But if by serious you mean you have to sell all your other bikes and forget all about how much you like them, then I call bullshit.

I don't think he's saying that at all, just that you cannot speak with authority about something you haven't had in-depth, first hand experience with. Don't let that stop you from ranting though, it's entertaining. :dizzy:

Dec. 13, 2013, 8:52 a.m.

yeah, but do all the bikes have the same hub/axel sizes? a dh bike with a 150mm hub isn't going to help you on an xc bike with qr. likewise that 20mm front wheel isn't working on the 15mm or qr fork either. if all your wheel/hub specs are the same then great, but otherwise it's no different than having different sized rims.

Between my 2 bikes and wife's 2 bikes, I think all of the 20mm fronts have adapters for 15mm, and a few for 9mm QR. My DH bike is the only one with 150mm rear. The others are 135, but most can adapt to 142mm if I bought a frame that required it. Every tire on every bike, and off the spare rack can be swapped to any bike.

Most current, quality hubs can adapt to the different variations out there these days, with likely the only exeception being 150 to 135/142 and visa versa

yeah that's cool.

i was just more interested in the opportunity to tell davem he's wrong.

nice try, you'd have to know what you're talking about first though.

Dec. 13, 2013, 9:45 a.m.

Between my 2 bikes and wife's 2 bikes, I think all of the 20mm fronts have adapters for 15mm, and a few for 9mm QR. My DH bike is the only one with 150mm rear. The others are 135, but most can adapt to 142mm if I bought a frame that required it. Every tire on every bike, and off the spare rack can be swapped to any bike.

Most current, quality hubs can adapt to the different variations out there these days, with likely the only exeception being 150 to 135/142 and visa versa

That's the best part about SunRingle wheels. They ship with all the conversion goodies. Pretty handy.

Dec. 14, 2013, 6:46 a.m.

Until one has put in serious time on a different technology, pretty hard to speak with authority on the subject. For those that speak against bigger wheels, they haven't invested the time or resources to fully reap the benefits of larger wheels.

As someone who has to ride different bikes for work, I can say that often new technology isn't always easily adapted to, yet the benefits still exist. I remember when dropper posts came out. I knew many people that tried them and swapped back to regular posts, claiming that they could ride just as fast and comfortably with a post at 75% height all the time, or be ok with stopping to lower and extend mid-ride. Funny how those riders forgot about the early days.

The reasons that I like my big dorky 29er are the same reasons that I am looking to put a better fork on my 1992 Rocky Mountain Vertex (my yellow Judy SL is waaaay too yellow). Speed doesn't always equate to fun.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 14, 2013, 8:29 a.m.

Don't worry, I'll keep it in the 26" thread, lest I get abused for liking what I have.

Yeah don't mention any other wheel size in that thread about 29ers. It creates backlash;)

Shed head!

Dec. 14, 2013, 9:03 a.m.

Yeah don't mention any other wheel size in that thread about 29ers. It creates backlash;)

That thread is just full of crappy hardtails. I'd rather ride any kiddy wheel FS than a 29" fun hater.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Dec. 17, 2013, 2:47 a.m.

Agreed. But if by serious you mean you have to sell all your other bikes and forget all about how much you like them, then I call bullshit. If there's an advantage you should feel it right away, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt. If there's a bit of a learning curve, you should get it in one big ride if you're talented and in tune; a week should be more than plenty for the average enthusiast riding all your hometown favorites. If it takes 2 months, I'm really sorry but all you're doing is giving it enough time to forget what you were used to and can no longer speak with authority on the subject.

Bullshit. Because you like them better, there's no possible way for anyone else to have a real solid go and not like them? Pull your head out.

Quit calling wheelsize technology. Comparing it to dropper posts is asinine. It's no more technology than a different bar width or tire width/volume. People are so headfucked when it comes to weight that they lose all logic so it's no surprise some people are slow to tack on an extra pound for a dropper post. For some reason this logic falls apart with weight due to wheelsize where ironically it has a significantly larger effect.

I'm only being harsh because I'm sick of big wheel proponents carrying on like it's completely unreasonable for anyone to not be on board.

Is it really that hard to see that because there is a difference, preferences will occur in both camps? Surely you can understand why some people don't like 29ers; nearly half the MTB world won't go near them because they feel fundamentally different. Now extrapolate out a little and imagine there being some people that don't like what 650 has to offer, because they too are fundamentally different, just on a smaller scale. It's not because we haven't had a proper go. It's not because we are grumpy old men. In fact it's because I have had a real solid go on one. I've got a buddy who sold his Bronson with Enve rims that he had for 6 months to buy a TRC and Nomad. You think he's just not given it the time or resources? Got another friend who has put 26ers on his $6K 650b'er because he didn't like his carbon rimmed 650 after a month of trying. Would you like me to pass on a message to these guys for you?

I'm not a luddite, I'm not resistant to change and I love technology. My past actions and purchases reflect this. I'm one of the biggest Santa Cruz fanboys going with 4 carbon ones in my garage and they are leading the charge on 650B, so I should be even more likely to jump on board. I tried it. Properly tried it. I don't fucking like it. How hard is it for you to accept it. I accept that you like yours. Keep it, have fun, but don't sling accusations around like you know what's best for the whole cycling world.

I've said this elsewhere, but what really shits me to tears is the same people that would tell you how 1D head angle, 10mm BB height, 10mm bar width, 20mm wheelbase, 15mm chainstay length, 10mm stem length, 0.2" tire width are all factors that make a bike handle differently, and they are in tune enough to feel the difference, have the audacity to say every last person on the planet is an idiot if they say they notice a 37mm difference in wheel diameter and prefer 26".

Neg rep away.

Amen brother. Repped.

Dec. 17, 2013, 8:16 a.m.

Hey OP, if you're just looking for a frame and one or two other upgrades, you could wait for Santa Cruz to kill off the Blur and give the old frames away (LT is already done). That's my plan, and I just realized it fit's your 5" requirement.

In the mean time…

I'm not looking to smooth out my trails. I'm looking to become a better rider and I look forward to the rides where I can (sometimes) school my riding buddies on an 'outdated' 26er. If riding a 26er is slower, you need some extra combination of skill and fitness to keep up with riders on the bigger hoops. If I train/ride regularly on a 26er, I should accordingly, over time, become a better rider due to the greater necessity for finesse that those tiny wheels demand. Basically the same reason I stick with flats.

…it sounds like you want a cheap 26" steel trail hardtail.

Dec. 17, 2013, 7 p.m.

don't be angry kram. there are great bikes in all wheel sizes. i'd argue that wheel size has far less effect on ride quality and characteristics than does geometry, suspension design and tuning, the right balance of stiffness and compliance in the right areas, and component choice (especially tires).

the tallboy was a miracle, arguably the world's first great 29er. the bronson isn't a great bike, but some 27's are truly great, like the new kona's - you should try one. i doubt you hated the bronson because of its wheels, but rather its weird harsh mid-stroke, a distinct difference from bikes like the nomad.

i love my stumpy evo 26 and my 29er hardtail equally. it has nothing to do with their wheel size, they're just well designed bikes.

Dec. 18, 2013, 8:53 a.m.

Back to OP's question…

What about a Santa Cruz Nomad? With a carbon frame there isn't any reason to be over 30lbs. With rumours flying around about +160mm travel and 27.5" the current inventory carbon Nomads may not last too long.