Opinions on cranks, on a budget

July 8, 2003, 4:34 p.m.

I need cranks for my singlespeed DJ bike. I am trying to get away as cheap as possible since money is tight right now. My three choices are:

1) A friend will give me a pair of Race Face North Shores and BB but they are a tapered spindle. Free!

2) I can get a pair of new 03 Hussefelts and a Truvativ DH BB for $80 US.

3) Another friend can hook me up with a set of new Profiles for $150 US. Last cranks I would probably ever need. Problem, don't have the cash right now.

I already bent a pair of Shimano's from crashing. I have been swapping the cranks from my Bullit to the hardtail but I am getting tired of this. The free RF's are looking good but I am hesitant beacause of the tapered BB.

FreeRide South

July 8, 2003, 5:23 p.m.

Originally posted by Salami
** 1) A friend will give me a pair of Race Face North Shores and BB but they are a tapered spindle. Free!

2) I can get a pair of new 03 Hussefelts and a Truvativ DH BB for $80 US.

3) Another friend can hook me up with a set of new Profiles for $150 US. Last cranks I would probably ever need. Problem, don't have the cash right now. **

1, save up, then 2

July 8, 2003, 5:45 p.m.

Do you mean 1, save up then 3? I have the cash for the Hussefelts right now, but not the Profiles.

FreeRide South

July 8, 2003, 5:50 p.m.

Originally posted by Salami
Do you mean 1, save up then 3? I have the cash for the Hussefelts right now, but not the Profiles.

If you can get the extra 70 reasonably quick then yes, 1 then 3.

July 8, 2003, 6:04 p.m.

when has free ever been a bad option??

July 8, 2003, 6:05 p.m.

Go for 1. My buddy runs the RaceFace Turbines on a tapered bottom bracket. The cranks seem to never come loose.

Another option is to get some cheap BMX cranks from Dan's Comp or somewhere.

drifting…yet again…

July 8, 2003, 6:09 p.m.

use teh Race face cranks…

the fact they are Tapered BB, doesnt make them worth any less…

get em, use em, enjoy em…

:D

July 8, 2003, 6:15 p.m.

Thanks everybody. I am going to do option 1 and save for #3. I have another question though. I know I need a 113mm spindle for a splined BB for a decent chainline. What about for the tapered? I remember reading somewhere I need a different length for a tapered spindle.

FreeRide South

July 8, 2003, 7:38 p.m.

a 113 should be fine. for a DJ bike, square is fine (no hard hits really)…Scab on this BB is one of the "biggest boosters" ever and he's riding square taper FireX's and has been for like a year :lol:

BTW, profiles SUCK. They're NOT strong and the bearings do not last. you'd be far better off going with X drives and saving money as well as not having to pay $75 USD for a set of bearings every several months…

I HATE mine…and they are setup properly.

SOR

July 8, 2003, 8 p.m.

Profiles.

July 8, 2003, 8:05 p.m.

take the race faces then save up for the profiles and then when you have enough money sell the race faces

July 8, 2003, 8:31 p.m.

Originally posted by theoriginalhardcore
take the race faces then save up for the profiles and then when you have enough money sell the race faces

When you get them for free from a friend, I wouldn't go selling them, unless you gave the money to some mountain bike assoc or Blair Chair, or your friend.

July 8, 2003, 8:51 p.m.

You can get Kona Bulge cranks fairly cheap aswell

July 8, 2003, 10:51 p.m.

fuck, keep it simple, your buddy is givin you awesome cranks with awesome bb and stop trying to get the best all the time, save your money when you'll really need it, like when you bust a rear shock or break a fork.

keep it cheap:D

:canada: :::WANTED:::
used hydraulic disc front, some tires about 2.5 maybe rims pm me

Originally posted by Dirt For Breakfast
religion is a disease

July 9, 2003, 3:03 p.m.

Originally posted by WBC
BTW, profiles SUCK. They're NOT strong and the bearings do not last. you'd be far better off going with X drives and saving money as well as not having to pay $75 USD for a set of bearings every several months…

Hah! I have owned lots of Profiles going back to the 80's, on 20's, 24's, hardtails, and my Bullit, and never had a problem. No that's not true; I had one spindle with slightly loose splines replaced for free and shipped back to me in one day. Never a bent arm or spindle. I've never even stepped up to DJ arms or an SS setup because I haven't had reason to. The only reason I have ever gotten rid of a set of Profiles is when I sell a complete bike.

I have heard that the bearings in RF bottom brackets can be extremely short-lived, too, and don't even bring up any junk made by Shimano. . . The bearing problem in FR/DH bikes, and especially anything hardtail, is mostly due to the fact that the BB shell is too small too fit a bearing that is strong enough in there.

Another hint; the bearings don't cost $75 US. The whole bottom bracket with cups and spacers (but no spindle) is listed at $65 full retail, and you can mail order them for less. If you call Profile, I am pretty sure that they sell the bearings for less than $10 each. Note that getting those bearings from an aircraft bearing supply store will set you back $30-40 each.

Originally posted by WBC
I HATE mine…and they are setup properly.

What do you hate about them? What happened that makes you think they are not strong, and compared to what? I'm not trying to pick on you, but I just have too much first hand experience with Profile cranks not to call you out.

Salami, give me a call when the boss authorizes some bad-ass cranks for that hardtail!