Oneup dropper making knocking sound

April 14, 2020, 10:52 p.m.

Anyone else had this issue? 

Should I just take it apart and lube everything and see how it goes?

April 14, 2020, 11:01 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Anyone else had this issue? 

Should I just take it apart and lube everything and see how it goes?

lubing your post is never a bad thing really

April 15, 2020, 8:21 a.m.

OneUp has been helpful with the few technical questions I have had. I would email them.

April 16, 2020, 8:40 a.m.

I could never get mine to properly quiet down. Sold It. I have a 185 Revive on one bike and a 200mm Reverb on another and haven't looked back. It's the only Oneup product that's disappointed me - everything else has been Incredible.

April 17, 2020, 10:03 a.m.

I bought two 31.6 x 180mm OneUp v2 droppers. One for my Chromag Wideangle and one for my Carbon Norco Range. They both knock while fully extended. Its like ther is no bushings guiding the bottom of the post so it just slaps around. Very annoying sound.  Is this what yours is doing? Have your reached out to OneUp yet?

April 17, 2020, 10:04 p.m.

Took it apart and relubed. It might be slightly better? Next step is reaching out to oneup.

April 18, 2020, 9:51 a.m.

I did a full rebuild on mine last month after they got the parts in. Lots of slickoleum everywhere. It definitely clunks at the top but it's smooth and fast and the post is solid with no play so I'm guessing it's a design 'thing' ?

One thing they don't make clear until you get to it is the need for a 5" bench vice to reseat the new brass pins - which you'll need to do if you only want to replace the seal. That stalled me for a day as I don;t have a vice and had to pop to the LBS. But I'm not sure if this is standard OP on all dropper posts ?

One question I have as regards other dropper post designs - are there posts that don't require me taking off the fargin' saddle every time I want to add air pressure? This (and the seal replacement technique) is annoying as I genuinely hate seat bolt systems.

April 18, 2020, 10:02 a.m.

Posted by: heathen

I bought two 31.6 x 180mm OneUp v2 droppers. One for my Chromag Wideangle and one for my Carbon Norco Range. They both knock while fully extended. Its like ther is no bushings guiding the bottom of the post so it just slaps around. Very annoying sound.  Is this what yours is doing? Have your reached out to OneUp yet?

That's what mine did. I spoke with Oneup extensively and did all the fixes they recommended and none of them solved It. I hated that knocking noise - totally kills my flow when I'm riding. It was especially bad coming from a Bikeyoke Revive which Is smooth and so quiet.

April 18, 2020, 1:26 p.m.

Posted by: craw

That's what mine did. I spoke with Oneup extensively and did all the fixes they recommended and none of them solved It. I hated that knocking noise - totally kills my flow when I'm riding. It was especially bad coming from a Bikeyoke Revive which Is smooth and so quiet.

So OneUp had no fix?

April 18, 2020, 8:43 p.m.

I decided to re-lube everything today and it seems that my shop didn't put enough carbon prep in the seat tube. Lesson learned. Don't I feel stupid. Slather that shit on.

April 19, 2020, 12:16 p.m.

You dont need carbon prep in your seat tube unless your post is slipping under normal torque settings for your seatpost collar.

April 20, 2020, 9:39 a.m.

Posted by: craw

So OneUp had no fix?

They did and none of it worked. The post I had was noisy and there was nothing to be done about It. It felt cheap anyhow. The Revive and Reverb operate quietly, smoothly and with great reliability. I have plenty of amazing Oneup stuff but this post Is not Included In that.

April 20, 2020, 4:17 p.m.

Well the fact that it IS cheap, I don't mind the slightly less refined feel compared with some of the other options. I haven't noticed my v2 to have this phenomenon yet.

April 21, 2020, 10:07 a.m.

https://forums.mtbr.com/components/oneup-dropper-v2-1101344.html#post14279747

April 21, 2020, 10:44 a.m.

Posted by: UFO

Well the fact that it IS cheap, I don't mind the slightly less refined feel compared with some of the other options. I haven't noticed my v2 to have this phenomenon yet.

Agreed. I hoped it would be quieter and TBH I thought I would get used to it. But I didn't. No foul: it lives with someone else now. 

It's still a good post for the money, but it can be a bit noisy.