OneUp Components EDC tool - questions

July 31, 2017, 11:02 a.m.

Have any of you guys bought the OneUp EDC tool? Do you like it?

One thing I am not totally clear on - there are two separate items, the EDC tool and then the EDC pump. A few questions about this:

• Does the EDC tool itself not come with a CO2 inflator head? I see the tool has space for the CO2 cartridge but it looks like the CO2 inflator head only comes with the EDC pump. Is that correct? In other words - there doesn't seem to be much of a point only buying the Tool and most people would be buying both the Tool and Pump together, right?

• It looks like you can either install the EDC tool in your steerer tube or install it inside the EDC pump (which attaches to the frame via water bottle bolts). Assuming you purchase both the Tool and the Pump, is there any point installing the tool in the steerer tube? It seems like it would just be easier and simpler to store it inside the pump (seeing that the pump needs to be there anyways, and it looks like it doesn't take up more space overall because the tool basically fits inside the pump - so you aren't really saving any space by putting the tool in your steerer tube). Is that right or am I missing something here?

July 31, 2017, 11:26 a.m.

There is no inflator head with the EDC tool stored in the steerer tube. The extra 'compartment' will hold a CO2 cartridge, or any other spare bits or pieces you might be able to get in there. You would need to carry a spare inflator head in your pocket if you were going to rely on that single CO2 cartridge to get you out of trouble with a flat.
To answer your question the easiest way, if you arent carrying a pump on your frame or in a pack already, the EDC tool in the steerer tube wont help you out if you get a flat. You will probably want to buy one of the two pump sizes they offer and mount it to your frame. $150 for the pump and tool is a better deal (though still pricey) than the $150 it will cost you to buy and install just the EDC tool in your steerer.

I dont own one, but do like the ingenuity.  I carry a pack all the time, so it isnt something I would consider as a purchase.

Last edited by: shoreboy on July 31, 2017, 11:28 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 31, 2017, 2:54 p.m.

The steer tube tool does not have an inflator head. You either screw in a cartridge or a small plastic tube for putting things in. Rolled up cash, patches, dope. I have tool and screw in a cartridge. My tube is scraped to my frame with the inflator head screwed onto the valve on the tube. I can't fit a pump to my frame because of interference with the brake line, dropper and shift housing which are routed beside my bottle cage. I could mount a pump under the down tube but the pump is really exposed to mud and crap there. And a tube and stuff under my saddle gets rubbed by the back tire when my dropper is all the way down and the suspension compresses. The EDC is a tight unit. I like it.

July 31, 2017, 3:54 p.m.

You nailed my one gripe with the system - at least as I intended to use it.

Funny it's hard to find a small linear (no 90deg bend) CO2 inflator head theses days. The Lezyne speed drive used to be linear, and would have likely fit in my steer tube with the EDC too. A friend has one.

Also funny is the CO2 inflator that comes with the EDC pump is linear and would (probably) fit, but is not available separately. It would fit (with the EDC tool and a 16g CO2 cartridge) in my steer tube for sure, but perhaps not in shorter ones.

July 31, 2017, 7:58 p.m.

Its by far the best bit of bolt on kit you'll never notice. I love mine. You never forget it. It has saved us numerous times out on the trail.

I don't use the Co2 portion but instead just have plugs in the storage compartment and a hand pump attached to the water bottle mount.

Aug. 8, 2017, 8:29 a.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

The steer tube tool does not have an inflator head. You either screw in a cartridge or a small plastic tube for putting things in. Rolled up cash, patches, dope. I have tool and screw in a cartridge. My tube is scraped to my frame with the inflator head screwed onto the valve on the tube. I can't fit a pump to my frame because of interference with the brake line, dropper and shift housing which are routed beside my bottle cage. I could mount a pump under the down tube but the pump is really exposed to mud and crap there. And a tube and stuff under my saddle gets rubbed by the back tire when my dropper is all the way down and the suspension compresses. The EDC is a tight unit. I like it.

I solved the muddy pump problem with by making a condom for it out of an old tube. Zap strap the bottom closed, flip it inside out, slide the pump in foot the top over and close with an elastic.  A hybrid-size tube worked for my pump.