One-up Worn Out?

Oct. 11, 2015, 7:29 a.m.

Well had my apart today and there is definitely more wear were the One up cog is. It not to serious as I have steel splines. I have been running this for more than a year.

Oct. 11, 2015, 7:42 a.m.

My second hope 40T has started to skip. Probably will just say fuck it and go
XT 11 speed.

Oct. 11, 2015, 9:42 a.m.

My second hope 40T has started to skip. Probably will just say fuck it and go
XT 11 speed.

You should chat with Trevor Howard he,s a Hope dealer and might have a suggestion on making it live . I know for the DTSwiss hubs I bought he suggested a 18t due to the higher tooth counts not being able to take the torque .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 11, 2015, 12:41 p.m.

You should chat with Trevor Howard he,s a Hope dealer and might have a suggestion on making it live . I know for the DTSwiss hubs I bought he suggested a 18t due to the higher tooth counts not being able to take the torque .

Not really sure what you mean. I haven't had any problem with my hubs. The teeth are wearing on my 40T and starting to skip.
I believe the 18 T replaces the 17 or something like that for a more even spacing at the higher end of the cassette.

Oct. 11, 2015, 2:55 p.m.

Not really sure what you mean. I haven't had any problem with my hubs. The teeth are wearing on my 40T and starting to skip.
I believe the 18 T replaces the 17 or something like that for a more even spacing at the higher end of the cassette.

i thought you meant the Hope 40T freehub was skipping , some of the high tooth count freehubs designs can,t handle the torque of the 40t/42t/45t .

on another note got to try the new 1x11 XT for a bit of climbing today , no different then the Sram , even had the back pedal issues as the Sram , meaning it drops a few teeth on the cog when in a back pedal situation .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 11, 2015, 3:36 p.m.

i thought you meant the Hope 40T freehub was skipping , some of the high tooth count freehubs designs can,t handle the torque of the 40t/42t/45t .

on another note got to try the new 1x11 XT for a bit of climbing today , no different then the Sram , even had the back pedal issues as the Sram , meaning it drops a few teeth on the cog when in a back pedal situation .

That's most likely a chain line issue. Drive train manufacturers need to adjust 1 x chain lines to 47/48mm to make this work. Aftermarket makers are offering this and it remedies back pedal issues. Now if it's boost 148 that's another story.

I actually had a RF marketing type tell me that the 51mm chain line on their DM chainrings was what their engineers decided was optimal for 1 x drive trains. And that it was optimized for boost 148. I just said WTF as boost 148 wasn't even on the drawing board when those chainrings were designed.

Oct. 11, 2015, 7:42 p.m.

I got impatient and ordered a Wolf

We will see how it goes.

I know you made your decision already, but the praxis 11-40t cassette is another viable option. It's not cheap, but cheaper than an extender ring plus cassette. The 2 big 34 and 40t are on one aluminum carrier which will help decrease the digging into freehub. The next 3 are also on another aluminum carrier. Praxis make some pretty good quality parts overall.

But the inevitable next step will be xt 11spd, you can't argue with that value. By the time I'm ready it will have trickled down to SLX level I'm sure

Oct. 11, 2015, 7:51 p.m.

Summit still has a nice selection of E13 and Hope extender rings in 40 and 42 for 50% off. In Whistler, everyone wants ittybitty park cassettes, I guess.

I've had the 40t e13 for a year now. Took a bit to dial in on Shimano cassette and SRAM derailleur. Has been flawless since. Drivetrain is now dead as I'm starting to drop chain and get some skipping. Lots of lateral play in the chain and even the 30t N/W ring on the front is loosing its bite. It happens, but I've been happy overall with the performance. It will be interesting to see the freehub body when I pull the cassette this week. Rear hub is "Speed Tuned" hub which is Intense's version of a re-branded upper quality Novotec hub.

Oct. 11, 2015, 8:09 p.m.

I think I'm going to guinea pig one of these when they become available. I'd prefer a 40t but I like the idea of one complete cassette with a spider holding the larger sprockets.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5045-435/sunrace-mx3-10spd-11-42t-cassette/?h=10+50012+50142+50145[HTML_REMOVED]f=10+50145+51915

treezz
wow you are a ass

Oct. 11, 2015, 8:27 p.m.

I know you made your decision already, but the praxis 11-40t cassette is another viable option. It's not cheap, but cheaper than an extender ring plus cassette. The 2 big 34 and 40t are on one aluminum carrier which will help decrease the digging into freehub. The next 3 are also on another aluminum carrier. Praxis make some pretty good quality parts overall.

But the inevitable next step will be xt 11spd, you can't argue with that value. By the time I'm ready it will have trickled down to SLX level I'm sure

I appreciate the comment. I will see how the Wolf goes and may head the Praxis or Sun route next time.

-Gord

Oct. 11, 2015, 8:31 p.m.

I'll be looking forward to your thoughts. I bought a Sunrace 9 speed cassette once to put a fresh drivetrain on a bike I wanted to sell. I'm pretty competent at setting up bikes and shifting and there was no way in good conscience I was able to sell a bike with that cassette on it. So it was replaced with a Shimano.

Perhaps they have their ramping and spacing figured out now? Price is fantastic. Weight is good. And to have those large rings on a multi-ring carrier would be bonus.

Oct. 11, 2015, 9:01 p.m.

I'll be looking forward to your thoughts. I bought a Sunrace 9 speed cassette once to put a fresh drivetrain on a bike I wanted to sell. I'm pretty competent at setting up bikes and shifting and there was no way in good conscience I was able to sell a bike with that cassette on it. So it was replaced with a Shimano.

Perhaps they have their ramping and spacing figured out now? Price is fantastic. Weight is good. And to have those large rings on a multi-ring carrier would be bonus.

I think Sunrace are like the 'new' Suntour, in that they cover a wide range of markets and people tend to associate with the cheap stuff. They encompass Sturmey Archer, Microshift and I think IRD (boo…..IRD were rad BITD….). Their 7/8 sp cassettes seem good. 9sp seems a bit hit and miss but the 10sp appears to be a quality item. Certainly in a very different price bracket. We'll see I guess!

treezz
wow you are a ass

Oct. 11, 2015, 9:06 p.m.

That's most likely a chain line issue. Drive train manufacturers need to adjust 1 x chain lines to 47/48mm to make this work. Aftermarket makers are offering this and it remedies back pedal issues. Now if it's boost 148 that's another story.

I actually had a RF marketing type tell me that the 51mm chain line on their DM chainrings was what their engineers decided was optimal for 1 x drive trains. And that it was optimized for boost 148. I just said WTF as boost 148 wasn't even on the drawing board when those chainrings were designed.

yeah the chainline on my 167 Process is nasty , thinking of going to a 9spd(11spd less 2 cogs ) and moving the cogset over to straighten out the chainline when using the 42t out back .

#northsidetrailbuilders