One-up Worn Out?

Oct. 7, 2015, 11 a.m.

I'm one of the testers for the DT Swiss E-1700 wheels (see http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=162085 ). I use a 30T RF NW ring, with a 42T one-up on the rear. I'm finding that the One-Up ring is starting to really dig into the hub body. I'm also seeing the One-up teeth that fit around the splines on the hub starting to wear, and shifting is starting to lag.

So my thought is that the One-up ring needs to be replaced. Has anyone else replaced these oversized rings for the same reason or do they only replace when they see shark-fin teeth?

However, since the hub is already galled, would I be forced to replace the hub body aswell to stop the new cog from rotating slightly into the grooves (again impacting shifting), or is there another solution I'm not aware of?

-Gord

Oct. 7, 2015, 11:17 a.m.

I'm one of the testers for the DT Swiss E-1700 wheels (see http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=162085 ). I use a 30T RF NW ring, with a 42T one-up on the rear. I'm finding that the One-Up ring is starting to really dig into the hub body. I'm also seeing the One-up teeth that fit around the splines on the hub starting to wear, and shifting is starting to lag.

So my thought is that the One-up ring needs to be replaced. Has anyone else replaced these oversized rings for the same reason or do they only replace when they see shark-fin teeth?

However, since the hub is already galled, would I be forced to replace the hub body aswell to stop the new cog from rotating slightly into the grooves (again impacting shifting), or is there another solution I'm not aware of?

-Gord

Higher torque on your hub shell goes hand in hand with the bigger cog. Id imagine your shifting is suffering due to both tooth wear as well as the rotation of the cog on the hub shell.
Im not sure if a different hub shell is an option? For my CK hubs, there is a stainless steel shell available for just such an application.

Oct. 7, 2015, 11:54 a.m.

shoreboy's got it. One of the drawbacks to the OneUp cog, or any cassette that is individual cogs riveted together is that they wear into the soft aluminum freehub bodies. Stainless freehub is a good option, but I'm not sure DT offer one.

Ride, don't slide.

Oct. 7, 2015, 1:04 p.m.

Aluminum freehub bodies are the dumbest things ever.

Oct. 7, 2015, 1:57 p.m.

Aluminum freehub bodies are the dumbest things ever.

Yet almost everybody seems to use them.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Oct. 7, 2015, 2:31 p.m.

Yet almost everybody seems to use them.

makes economic sense, they do want your money. not so much the smartest as far as performance. Hadley makes a TI one.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Oct. 7, 2015, 2:57 p.m.

Or manufacturers like American Classic who have a steel strip on the freehub to prevent gouging. Simple and effective and you keep the lighter weight of the alloy.

Oct. 7, 2015, 3:19 p.m.

I emailed One-up when I got mine and mentioned that the fit up to the hub was very loose but they said that was part of the design. Now that you mention it, it would seem that if it fit better to the splines there would be less chance of wearing out sooner and causing damage to the hub. I will have a look at mine someday soon.

Oct. 7, 2015, 5:23 p.m.

My wolftooth fits snugly no signs of wear after a year.

Oct. 7, 2015, 7:15 p.m.

When my first faux 1x10 wore out (30t RF NW, 11-36 XT, 42t OneUp) I swapped out the whole drivetrain. I went to a 28t with a 11-36 without the big cog and it's been fine. It's a little taller in the lowest gear but the tidiness of the direct mount ring and no accessory cog takes the simplicity of 1x10 to the next level.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Oct. 7, 2015, 11:57 p.m.

^ I toyed with that idea…

I wound up going with a wolftooth 42t.

after a year, I've since changed my NW. My shifting was getting creepy too. I just changed my chain and rear derailleur. Big improvement. The chain had stretched almost a full links-worth. I think the modded 1x10 is just rough on the components.

When this setup wears out I'll go with the shimano 1x11 XT setup. Around $400 CAD for all the parts I'd need.

Oct. 8, 2015, 8:06 a.m.

This is the concern I was wondering about - does the 1x10 result in higher wear rates…I will measure my chain, but I am tempted to swap the drivetrain. The cassette looks ok, One-up is a bit shark-finned, the NW looks ok and I'm not dropping chains. Assuming the chain is ok, I may just swap out the 42T.

So I'm looking at the replacement option for the 42T and would appreciate thoughts on what is better/worse.

One-up seems to be the standard
E*thirteen has some odd reviews about the ramps not working well
I haven't read anything on the wolftooth
Hope??
Blackspire??

Price is the other discussion…One-up/Wolf are both around 95$, whereas on Chain reaction E*thirteen and Hope are in the 70-80$ range.

Thoughts/opinions?
-Gord

Oct. 8, 2015, 9:12 a.m.

the nice part of the SRAM XO stuff is the thread on cog set , does not get worn out the traditional spline design . myself i prefer the spline style , but the downside is a loose fitting spline that will wear out overtime due to it,s design .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 8, 2015, 11:30 a.m.

Nothing will work as well as a dedicated set up like sram or shimano. The only reason to use after market is price if your currently using 10 speed (worth it in my opinion). I can only speak of the wolftooth and the one up. I feel wolf is better as it's dedicated to either shimano or sram. It fits nice and snug on the spline, no issues with it since I got a rad cage. I dont use the 42 very often only when I'm really tired or on long climbs. Sounds strange to me the one up would say being loose is part of the design. A loose spline in any piece of machinery is no good as far as I know. Be interesting to hear from them on that logic or the reason they did that.

Oct. 8, 2015, 2:29 p.m.

I got impatient and ordered a Wolf

We will see how it goes.