ONE UP Plastic Bars. Bar Feel?

May 1, 2019, 10:09 a.m.

Who has real world feed back on the ONE UP carbon handle bars. Too flex? No noticeable difference? What do you notice.

One local said they are great but if you don't set it up in accordance with your bikes head angle the flex is very odd felling. They have detailed info on how to set the bars up.

May 1, 2019, 2:20 p.m.

We need an objective bar flex rating system. Oneup says bars need to be more compliant, but for whom? 160lb dirt roadie or a 220lb Crossfitter? That this isn't specified is a significant oversight. Usually Oneup is really forward thinking about stuff like this.

May 1, 2019, 3:15 p.m.

Also, how will the flex feel if the bars are cut significantly narrower (800mm to 760mm for example).

May 1, 2019, 6:42 p.m.

I like the systematisation of the bar angle to stem. Quite interesting. Not sure how I'll like the sweep but I appreciate the effort.

May 2, 2019, 7:59 a.m.

Posted by: JBV

guys, you're over thinking it. you have to feel it. i got an idea. why don't some of you Vancouverites buy 5 of the top rated carbonium bars on the market, do an indepth test, like that blond Brit guy on Bikeradar, and let us all know which one feels best.

A few years ago I bought one and it got nearly 2" of vertical compliance under me. It was super sketchy to ride. I sent it back to the manufacturer who said it was perfectly within tolerance, for a 170lb rider (not that the packaging said a word about that). They tried to gaslight me. Told me I wasn't experiencing what I was experiencing. That it just wasn't possible. Luckily I had video. They sent me a fresh one which I sold to someone in the correct weight range. 

Then I bought a SixC, which is really stiff but just compliant enough under me to be effective. If the first manufacturer had been straight up about their products' design it would have saved everyone a look of headache. 

Bars are often labelled with intended use (Next vs Turbine vs Atlas). Why can't they be labelled with an ideal weight range?

Last edited by: craw on May 2, 2019, 8 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 2, 2019, 10:07 a.m.

Wish we knew which bar you’re  talking about. 

A bar is a silly place to shave grams. Saying that I have two Renthal cah-bin bahs and an alloy on my rides. 

Bars likely don’t matter once a rider adds lock-on grips.

May 2, 2019, 10:36 a.m.

I'm trying to be polite and use the experience as a case study rather than an opportunity to say negative thing about a brand.

What's curious is that bar wasn't any lighter than any other carbon bar. It was just designed a certain way to achieve a certain ride for a certain type of rider, which I totally get.

Last edited by: craw on May 2, 2019, 10:38 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 2, 2019, 1:35 p.m.

They didn't have the narrower of two widths when I bought my Joysticks so I bought the wide ones and probably cut the flex out of them when I had them cut down. 

huh

May 2, 2019, 7:53 p.m.

Posted by: craw

I'm trying to be polite and use the experience as a case study rather than an opportunity to say negative thing about a brand.

What's curious is that bar wasn't any lighter than any other carbon bar. It was just designed a certain way to achieve a certain ride for a certain type of rider, which I totally get.

It was a BZA I bet. Myself and a buddy had identical bza bars and his had what you describe whereas mine was stiff. Like his was shockingly flexy to the point I told him not to ride it. I'm guessing his was a first batch aimed at being compliant but maybe it was too much? Who knows.

Last edited by: T-mack on May 4, 2019, 4:21 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 2, 2019, 8:48 p.m.

i bought the same plastic bar from the same people who pointed out the head angle issue. once 'fast' run down the full duff and it was feeling good. coming from an alloy RF turbine.

May 2, 2019, 9 p.m.

I get it. 

One could likely scan your posts to figure out which bar it was. 

I’m interested in the WA1 cah-bin bar.  Only thing I’d consider replacing Renthal with

May 6, 2019, 4:44 p.m.

I am 200lbs all geared up to ride. I run a 31.8 carbon bar as I like the flex. 35mm alum bars are way too stiff. I don't want two inches of flex. I just want a bar that helps take the edge off the rough stuff like my 31.8 Chromag Cutlass does.

May 7, 2019, 8:29 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

I get it. 

One could likely scan your posts to figure out which bar it was. 

I’m interested in the WA1 cah-bin bar.  Only thing I’d consider replacing Renthal with

I love the Renthals , I have the 40mm? rise ones , very positive and precise feeling IMO. That being said the new OneUp and the WR1 stem/bars have peaked my interest as well.

May 8, 2019, 6:30 p.m.

I bought one. Couldn't pass up the price and chance to try something new.

May 22, 2019, 9:58 a.m.

Posted by: heathen

I bought one. Couldn't pass up the price and chance to try something new.

So how is it?