One bike

May 26, 2015, 11:07 p.m.

Just the one for me - new Reign Carbon.

Living in the south of the UK, I don't need a DH bike, they became an expensive ornament. I just race the Reign instead (and do better!).

Maybe not a one bike in the truest sense, I still have a road bike for work.

Blur 4X - Sunday Factory.

May 27, 2015, 1:03 a.m.

Depends on your range of bicycle usage.
I primarily DH/Shuttle/Chair Lift…so that bike gets all the attention. So much easier to settle for one bike that will do for all else.
Still makes for two bikes :)

May 27, 2015, 6:06 a.m.

only one bike for years…

last time I had two bikes it caused me alot of grief because if I was on the big-bike, there were always sections of trail that had me wishing for the lighter bike and vice-versa. With only one bike I just ride everything and have a good time.

If I shuttled or rode bike park then I'd definitely pick up an older big-bike to minimize wear and tear on the daily driver, but shuttling accounts for less than 5% of my rides so that keeps the decision pretty simple too. Life becomes better when you climb ;)

May 27, 2015, 8:46 a.m.

Me too. I had a big bike last summer and struggled to find times to use it. I'm increasingly less interested in the bike park experience and in Squamish and Vancouver there are fewer and fewer places where a big bike makes sense.

I've basically ridden my E29 as my full-time bike for the last three seasons. I'd like it to be a bit lighter but I have no problem riding any kind of ride on one setup.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 28, 2015, 9:03 a.m.

I actually debated getting rid of my park bike after getting my blur built over the winter. I may only get to the park a half dozen times a year now that I have two rugrats. Silver star is my park and you can get away with a small bike there. I would need a new fork, but that's coming anyway.

Thing is though I wouldn't get much for the big bike and would end up getting an extra set of wheels (at least a rear), tires, discs and I would still be concerned about beating the bike up as it would be my only ride.

I did the one bike thing when I was a broke student. There were so much downtime from something being broken and every part was a compromise depending on the style of riding. Of course this was back in the early 2000s so bikes were a different beast then.

May 29, 2015, 9:56 a.m.

Week 3 on the Transition Patrol. This is the closest I've ever been to "one bike". It is as good as the reviewers have been saying.

Super stable on the climbs, with no bob and great power transfer. I never use the "climb" or "max compression" modes on the Fox 34/RS Monarch plus. Leave them both in trail/medium mode for much of the riding.

Long(er), Low(er), and slack does seem to work. When you point it down, it's super confident and stable. Feels almost like a mini-DH bike. Compared to a VPP stable bike, the bike sits a bit taller in it's stroke and is stiffer throughout it's range of travel, but that makes it poppy, fast, and aggressive feeling.

I'm really pleased. Probably more than any bike I've bought in the past 6 or 7 years. I think it's a keeper.

That said, I still have a DH bike for park days, as the boy is riding more and more park and I tend to join him when I can. And DH bikes are fun. Even with 26" wheels.

May 29, 2015, 10:39 a.m.

Week 3 on the Transition Patrol. This is the closest I've ever been to "one bike". It is as good as the reviewers have been saying.

Super stable on the climbs, with no bob and great power transfer. I never use the "climb" or "max compression" modes on the Fox 34/RS Monarch plus. Leave them both in trail/medium mode for much of the riding.

Long(er), Low(er), and slack does seem to work. When you point it down, it's super confident and stable. Feels almost like a mini-DH bike. Compared to a VPP stable bike, the bike sits a bit taller in it's stroke and is stiffer throughout it's range of travel, but that makes it poppy, fast, and aggressive feeling.

I'm really pleased. Probably more than any bike I've bought in the past 6 or 7 years. I think it's a keeper.

That said, I still have a DH bike for park days, as the boy is riding more and more park and I tend to join him when I can. And DH bikes are fun. Even with 26" wheels.

The new Transitions look so nice. I must say that the Smuggler is tweaking my nipples right now.

Wrong. Always.

May 29, 2015, 11:30 a.m.

Been loving my Yeti SB5C for everything on the shore. I wouldn't take it in the park, but seeing as I'm not too interested in banging out laps these days, this one bike is perfect all around. Strikes a really great balance of actually being fun on the climbs and still stiff enough to rail some pretty gnarly lines.

May 29, 2015, 12:17 p.m.

^interesting you went the 5 over the 6. though as you suggest, all you need for local trails. i'm on 150x150, and rarely see the need for more (though i still have the dust covered dh bike for the very rare park excursion).

May 29, 2015, 12:47 p.m.

I still think the one bike to rule them all is a bit of a fallacy. Sure if you can only afford one bike then a 6 x 6 "enduro" machine is the way to go. But a DH bike for park use and shuttles will generally trump the smaller bike.

May 29, 2015, 1:37 p.m.

I still think the one bike to rule them all is a bit of a fallacy. Sure if you can only afford one bike then a 6 x 6 "enduro" machine is the way to go. But a DH bike for park use and shuttles will generally trump the smaller bike.

This I agree with, the WBP would kill my AM bike so I think I would need a min. of 4 bikes.

1) AM ( enduro ) full suspension bike ( 6.5" )
2) Downhill Park bike ( 8" )
3) Hardtail for winter
4) BMX Cruiser 8)

Your 0.02 opinion is worthless. Since Feb 2013, pennies have to be rounded down. Sorry.

May 29, 2015, 2:09 p.m.

the more i ride my Process 167 the less i think about riding my other bikes , this could be a onebike deal no problem , that being said i,ll never admit that to my wife LOL .

#northsidetrailbuilders

May 29, 2015, 3:09 p.m.

^interesting you went the 5 over the 6. though as you suggest, all you need for local trails. i'm on 150x150, and rarely see the need for more (though i still have the dust covered dh bike for the very rare park excursion).

I agree, especially on Seymour where I generally ride, a typical 6x6 is a little on the overkill side. The 6C would handle park days as a nice option and be a little more forgiving for the really rough stuff but for what I'm riding this season, something lighter and more nimble is perfect.

I did go with the 6C build kit, so it's it's got stiffer wheels and a slightly longer travel FOX 36 to slacken the HA a bit.