On-Bike Tools and Repair Storage

July 10, 2018, 10:15 p.m.

Posted by: pedalhound

Posted by: kiwizak

If the bag is too slippery, try running some lines of hot glue on the bag (let them dry), that may help it stay in place.

Good idea! I was thinking maybe a bit of mastic tape that I will be using on my chainstay on either the bag or the frame, should look okay too.

smearing on some silicon caulk would probably grip better to the frame and adhere to the bag better, but not sure if it would "react" with carbon.

July 11, 2018, 8:48 a.m.

Posted by: AlmostThere

I've used  BarFly's Hopper Saddle Bag, empty coffee bag works really well.

https://barflybike.com/collections/special-accessory-mounts/products/the-hopper-saddle-bag

Empty coffee bag as a seat bag???

I LIKE IT. My road bike crew even has a roast with our logo on it...this could be good.

July 11, 2018, 2:18 p.m.

I've given up on on-bike storage and picked up a Dakine low profile waist pack (hot-laps stealth).  Like a less tech futuristic version of the Race Face lumbar belt.

July 11, 2018, 8:49 p.m.

for you guys that use waist packs...do they ever move around a lot while going through chunder and stuff?

July 11, 2018, 10:08 p.m.

I just picked up this. Great for hot laps and slaying chicks afterwards. 

July 12, 2018, 8:31 a.m.

Posted by: PSY

for you guys that use waist packs...do they ever move around a lot while going through chunder and stuff?

Not all hip packs fit the same so can't confirm that. With the CamelBak , you knew it was there always!!! My current pack(High Above Lookout) fits and stays in place and it,s not a bother at all.

Last edited by: DemonMike on July 12, 2018, 9:15 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 12, 2018, 8:35 a.m.

I ride with a source hipster 1.5l and I find it stays in place well. As it empties I need to adjust the hip strap.

July 12, 2018, 8:59 a.m.

I have the Dakine Low Rider 5L and it stay's put okay...the one issue I have is that I have to keep on tightening the belt or it slides down. The one thing I love about it is that my body seems to manage it's heat better than if I was wearing my big Evoc pack. So now I have three options, on bike water and storage for the shorter rides, fanny pack for those middle ground rides and then the big pack for those epic days in the saddle.

July 12, 2018, 9:56 a.m.

Posted by: rnayel

I've given up on on-bike storage and picked up a Dakine low profile waist pack (hot-laps stealth).  Like a less tech futuristic version of the Race Face lumbar belt.

Looks like a good option if you just need a good spot for your phone, keys, mini tool and CO2.

July 12, 2018, 10:26 a.m.

Posted by: craw

I've given up on on-bike storage and picked up a Dakine low profile waist pack (hot-laps stealth). Like a less tech futuristic version of the Race Face lumbar belt.

Looks like a good option if you just need a good spot for your phone, keys, mini tool and CO2.

Exactly what I need. It fits a multi tool, tire lever, tube, keys, phone, couple of snack bars and a flask. Some reviewers fit a lightweight packable jacket in there too - but it's tight and defeats the point of low profile. I have a pump and 500ml water bottle on my frame. My typical ride lately has been home (near capilano mall) climb to Braemar trail - where I stop at Princess Park to refill my water bottle (very handy water station by the men's washroom), up the climbing trail to 7th or Upper Oil Can, then down. I exit around the same place, back to Princess Park for a drink/refill my water bottle and home. I find that I have enough water for the ride and it's a 2.5 to 3 hrs loop.

Since I picked it up on Tuesday, I've only filled it with gear, I haven't used it yet, will test it on the weekend.

Last edited by: rnayel on July 12, 2018, 10:44 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 12, 2018, 10:38 a.m.

I think some stuff straps better to a bike, a spare tube is light/bulky/ compresses will hopefully sit there for a long time, not sure what else I would want to try strapping to a bike ?

July 12, 2018, 11:47 a.m.

Posted by: craw

I've given up on on-bike storage and picked up a Dakine low profile waist pack (hot-laps stealth). Like a less tech futuristic version of the Race Face lumbar belt.

Exactly what I need. It fits a multi tool, tire lever, tube, keys, phone, couple of snack bars and a flask. Some reviewers fit a lightweight packable jacket in there too - but it's tight and defeats the point of low profile. I have a pump and 500ml water bottle on my frame. My typical ride lately has been home (near capilano mall) climb to Braemar trail - where I stop at Princess Park to refill my water bottle (very handy water station by the men's washroom), up the climbing trail to 7th or Upper Oil Can, then down. I exit around the same place, back to Princess Park for a drink/refill my water bottle and home. I find that I have enough water for the ride and it's a 2.5 to 3 hrs loop.

Since I picked it up on Tuesday, I've only filled it with gear, I haven't used it yet, will test it on the weekend.

I have the hot laps for the extra bottle sling on the side.

while i can pack in a small jacket ( OR Helium - it's a very simplistic and small jacket ) - its TIGHT

packed in the pack is a wallet, phone, keys, snack bar, CB multi-tool, tiny leatherman style multi-tool ( mostly for pliers to get off tight tubless valves - i learned that one!). extra 500ml bottle in the carrier.

on the bike is a pump under WB cage, 750ml bottle. tire lever is wrapped in tube, that is ski-strapped between heattube/downtube.

this does me well except for long rides / hot days where i need more than 1.25l of water. i don't have many refill areas. i use my larger Camelbak hip pack with a bladder. the jacket fits in there nicely.

both are more comfortable than a full size pack.

July 15, 2018, 6:10 a.m.

thanks for sharing this - good tip on the soft bottle. definitely gonna try this setup out
what's inside the timbuk2?

I carry my phone in there...mostly to take photos with.

Last edited by: Vikb on July 15, 2018, 6:10 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 15, 2018, 6:13 a.m.

for you guys that use waist packs...do they ever move around a lot while going through chunder and stuff?

Our rides all seem to start with big climbs so the fanny bag is no issue for that and I will empty the water in the fanny pack first so usually when I am headed down and things get zesty the fanny bag is empty or nearly so and I don't even know I have it on.

Aug. 2, 2018, 8:38 a.m.

Hi Andy, 

I was thinking something along the lines of a small dry bag that can be used along with a Race Face Strap or similar. It would keep your tools & tube dry/muck free. 

This might be a non-existent problem that nobody needs to solve.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/soft-goods/products/b-rad-roll-top-bag