On-Bike Tools and Repair Storage

July 9, 2018, 9:17 a.m.

So, I went to mec and got one of those 1L nano dry sacks, fit's a bunch of tools, and tube and fits in my EDC strap quite nicely. When I strapped it to my old frame I noticed that the material may be a bit too slippery...hope to get my frame this week and get it built up to fully test it out. If it works, I will post it all up with pics. :)

July 9, 2018, 9:45 a.m.

Posted by: pedalhound

So, I went to mec and got one of those 1L nano dry sacks, fit's a bunch of tools, and tube and fits in my EDC strap quite nicely. When I strapped it to my old frame I noticed that the material may be a bit too slippery...hope to get my frame this week and get it built up to fully test it out. If it works, I will post it all up with pics. :)

I noticed that with the tent peg bag too. Need to add some kind of friction to the bag somehow.

July 9, 2018, 10:51 a.m.

Semi thread jack -- what fanny packs are people running? Anyone using ones with built in bladder? For longer rides, I have an Osprey hydration pack with a 3L bladder (never use 3L except Chilcotins -- usually 1.5-2L for long hot days). For after work shore rides I am dumb and just carry a multi-tool in pocket and my 500ml water bottle on bike, if I flat I walk/trail run out. Fanny pack with 1L seems like it could eliminate my need for the pack on pretty much all rides.

July 9, 2018, 11:16 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

Semi thread jack -- what fanny packs are people running? Anyone using ones with built in bladder? For longer rides, I have an Osprey hydration pack with a 3L bladder (never use 3L except Chilcotins -- usually 1.5-2L for long hot days). For after work shore rides I am dumb and just carry a multi-tool in pocket and my 500ml water bottle on bike, if I flat I walk/trail run out. Fanny pack with 1L seems like it could eliminate my need for the pack on pretty much all rides.

On paper the fanny pack seems like a good compromise. I used the Camelbak one for a while and it just bugged my lower back too much. This may have been exaggerated by the bad ergonomics on my last bike. I'll give it another try with my new steeper STA bike and see how we do.

July 9, 2018, 3:48 p.m.

I've got the Bontrager one - I love it. Anything under 2 hours its got 

Tube

Tire lever

Cell

Allen Keys

Co2 and head

With Knee pads wrapped around it and my gloves in the bottle holder

For over two hours (but still in my backyard) i'll add in a 500Ml (total of 1.25l with the one on the bike) bottle and ditch the knee pads.

It sits slim enough (with that load) that I rarely feel like I'm burdened and on the descent will often stick it under my jersey. I feel like a bigger bag would move around more on the descent so I'm not in for that.

July 9, 2018, 4:46 p.m.

I have the Bontrager one aswell. Also works as a decent long-run pack without much bounce.
2-2.5 hrs is the range assuming you sweat like I do!

July 9, 2018, 4:56 p.m.

I've been using the Dakine 2L fanny thanks to a recommendation. Fits my tools, tube (if I'm not strapping one to the frame), keys, CO2, levers, multitool. I throw in a 500mL platypus type soft water flask if I'm going out for a longer ride, and keep a bottle on the frame. Drink frame bottle, refill with soft flask from inside fanny - then roll up the soft flask to stash it in the pack again. I wrap the knee pads around it as well if I'm bringing them. It also has that little water bottle holder strap, but I've never used it.

July 9, 2018, 6:38 p.m.

Tried the Camelbak versions of their fannypack and hated both of the versions they had. Ran a  MEC with dual bottle holders and it was way nicer than the Camelbak stuff and way cheaper. My current one is a High Above and it,s amazing , with or without a waterbottle on it you don,t know it,s there. Never need to adjust the waist once you set them , they never change even soaking wet. Plus the pack is waterproof. It was not cheap but an investment I would do again.

July 9, 2018, 10:05 p.m.

I got the camel bak one. It has a 1.5L bladder but I don't like it for more than a bottle worth (about 600ml). It also carries my one up pump/tool and my plug kit as well as my power food (aka M&M's). Anything more and it feels like it is overloaded and  weighs heavy. I use it for my rides up to 1.5hrs and for that it is pretty good. If I put a vest or light shirt in it I hate wearing it - not really the greatest design but meets my needs for what I need it for.

July 10, 2018, 2:22 a.m.

Posted by: pedalhound

So, I went to mec and got one of those 1L nano dry sacks, fit's a bunch of tools, and tube and fits in my EDC strap quite nicely. When I strapped it to my old frame I noticed that the material may be a bit too slippery...hope to get my frame this week and get it built up to fully test it out. If it works, I will post it all up with pics. :)

If the bag is too slippery, try running some lines of hot glue on the bag (let them dry), that may help it stay in place.

Last edited by: kiwizak on July 10, 2018, 2:23 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 10, 2018, 6:54 a.m.

I've tried a number of fanny packs. My favourite is this $15 MEC bag. Holds a 1L soft bottle plus a couple extra things. With 500-600ml on the bike plus tools on the bike I rarely need more than this. I drink from the bottle on the bike and refill from the soft bottle in the pack. That means by the time I am ready to get shreddy on the descents I don't have much weight in the fanny pack I don't notice it at all.

July 10, 2018, 11:26 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I've tried a number of fanny packs. My favourite is this $15 MEC bag. Holds a 1L soft bottle plus a couple extra things. With 500-600ml on the bike plus tools on the bike I rarely need more than this. I drink from the bottle on the bike and refill from the soft bottle in the pack. That means by the time I am ready to get shreddy on the descents I don't have much weight in the fanny pack I don't notice it at all.

thanks for sharing this - good tip on the soft bottle. definitely gonna try this setup out

what's inside the timbuk2?

Last edited by: PSY on July 10, 2018, 11:50 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 10, 2018, 12:09 p.m.

Good feedback guys, I hadn't thought of using the Playtapus soft bottle in a fanny, I have a few I use for ski touring already so that would be perfect... I always thought running a hydration hose from a fanny to your mouth would be awkward as well. That $15 MEC one seems like a cheap experiment to see how it goes, really just looking to store multi, tube, levers, CO2, some water and a bit of food.

I usually just strap my knee pads (RF Ambush) to my top tube on the first climb of the ride and then leave them on unless it's really hot.

July 10, 2018, 12:17 p.m.

I've used  BarFly's Hopper Saddle Bag, empty coffee bag works really well.

https://barflybike.com/collections/special-accessory-mounts/products/the-hopper-saddle-bag

July 10, 2018, 2:02 p.m.

Posted by: kiwizak

If the bag is too slippery, try running some lines of hot glue on the bag (let them dry), that may help it stay in place.

Good idea! I was thinking maybe a bit of mastic tape that I will be using on my chainstay on either the bag or the frame, should look okay too.