On-Bike Tools and Repair Storage

July 5, 2018, 8:58 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

http://diginfo.ru/en/tire-pressure-mtb-bike/

Random link of the day!

The cool thing is it comes up with the same pressures that I usually run! Neat tool!

Last edited by: pedalhound on July 5, 2018, 9 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 5, 2018, 10:55 a.m.

Posted by: pedalhound

Random link of the day!

The cool thing is it comes up with the same pressures that I usually run! Neat tool!

If I ran the pressures they suggest I peel the tires off the rims in the corners . Not to mention dinging the rim . I run mid 20,s with tubeless and WT tires .

July 5, 2018, 12:05 p.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

Random link of the day!

If I ran the pressures they suggest I peel the tires off the rims in the corners . Not to mention dinging the rim . I run mid 20,s with tubeless and WT tires .

yeah this^^ link is suggesting 16/18 front/rear, I wouldn't run that low either ... mid 20's

July 5, 2018, 12:43 p.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

Random link of the day!

Obv a conspiracy by rim manufacturers. Must be - because there's no way i'm going to run 18psi without absolutely destroying my wheels every other week.

July 5, 2018, 1:39 p.m.

My typical:

• Park patch kit with a spare master-link inside, along with 2 levers in a thigh pocket;

• spare tube in a jersey pocket;

• water bottle in the cage;
  • mini tool in a hip pocket;
  • joints and a lighter in the other hip pocket;
  • mini-pump in the lycra. Seriously. I've figured an angle that I can put it behind my right thigh and it is held in place by the compression of the shorts. The pump is mostly plastic, and the angle it rests is quite splint/brace-like, so I'm not worried (too much anyway) about impaling myself.

I'm new to the tubeless thing - only set it up for the first time last week but am loving it. That said, I'm used to the PITA of changing a tire trailside and rather than finicking around with plugs and goo and CO2 in the muck I'll just throw a tube in. This might change as I learn more about how to use plugs and/or boots (or if I find myself putting a tube in every second ride...)

On the rare occasion I ride with a pack all the above goes in there, along with a couple litres in the bladder and a first aid kit, but most of my rides are  sadly short enough that a single bottle will usually do, or the longer ones consist of laps with stops back at the car to top up the bottle.

July 6, 2018, 11:42 a.m.

For anyone thinking about a bottle on the underside of the downtube, I have found that a Velocity "Bottle Trap" (http://www.velocityusa.com/product/accessories/bottle-trap) holds a Camelbak bottle (which seems to have a slightly larger diameter than most bottles) very tightly. I have to stop and use both hands to get the bottle out. To avoid drinking trail debris I usually just unscrew the lid, rather than drinking through the spout.

July 6, 2018, 12:47 p.m.

Wee cog make some interesting little under saddle bags. https://www.weecog.co.uk/collections/on-the-bike

Still, a rubber ski strap works a million times better than any nylon buckle and strap or Velcro. I have seen small dry bag style saddle bags with roll top closures but those roll tops are bulky. Seriously a large square of cordura or if you can find it, shelterite or whatever that fibre reinforced vinyl fabric is called, roll up your stuff in it and strap with a ski strap and you’re golden.

July 6, 2018, 3:48 p.m.

Ditto, my rear rim is dented up already and I run 28 (rear) with 2.35 Minions or Butchers and am 185lbs plus bike.  Their recommended 18f/20r would have me wiping out in corners and re-lacing rims every 6 rides.

July 6, 2018, 6:11 p.m.

My two bike storage setups. Upper bike I can ride without a pack up to 4hrs in the summer and longer in the winter. Lower bike I add a 1L soft bottle in a $15 MEC fanny pack for rides over 2.5-3hrs in the summer. I carry my full tool/spare/pump on the bike. Crazy thing is I help folks with hydro packs fix their bikes all the time. In theory they have all the cargo capacity to carry tools/pump/spares....but seemingly they don't.

I have since ditched the CO2 for a pump and added a derailleur hanger. I'll often throw $20 in there for emergency pub money.

I carry basically the same items on both bikes. On my Knolly my pump is external so it does get a bit dirty. I was going to put it in plastic bag at work and seal it, but I keep forgetting. Porcelain Rocket under DT bag is 6-7 years old and going strong. Contents stayed dry all winter despite splashing from front wheel. Only getting one bottle on the bike is less awesome than the GG, but still it's enough for 80%+ of my rides.

July 7, 2018, 12:22 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

My two bike storage setups. Upper bike I can ride without a pack up to 4hrs in the summer and longer in the winter. Lower bike I add a 1L soft bottle in a $15 MEC fanny pack for rides over 2.5-3hrs in the summer. I carry my full tool/spare/pump on the bike. Crazy thing is I help folks with hydro packs fix their bikes all the time. In theory they have all the cargo capacity to carry tools/pump/spares....but seemingly they don't.

I have since ditched the CO2 for a pump and added a derailleur hanger. I'll often throw $20 in there for emergency pub money.

I carry basically the same items on both bikes. On my Knolly my pump is external so it does get a bit dirty. I was going to put it in plastic bag at work and seal it, but I keep forgetting. Porcelain Rocket under DT bag is 6-7 years old and going strong. Contents stayed dry all winter despite splashing from front wheel. Only getting one bottle on the bike is less awesome than the GG, but still it's enough for 80%+ of my rides.

Nice.

I made this one out of a old tent peg bag last night. I want to remove the duct tape and tighten with a fold and buckle, then hopefully attach it to the frame with either one or two ski straps. I think ill ditch the peg bag and make it out of an old ski jacket or pants to add waterproofing. That package has a tube, pump, CO2 and a tubeless plug system.

Last edited by: nortonwhis on July 7, 2018, 12:25 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 7, 2018, 2:55 p.m.

I once made a dirt bike tool bag from a section of car innertube, I turned it inside out to sew one end shut with fish line,  turn right side out again and it even looked pretty good

what you can make a bag from is by chopping an old sleeve or pantleg off some old pants, turn inside out, sew one end shut, turn right side out again  ... there's yer bag

put any thing you don't want to get wet in a ziplock bag for waterproofing

July 7, 2018, 8:10 p.m.

Saw this nice flat little bag at the local road bike shop, might work for someone as a bag above bottom bracket: http://www.lezyne.com/product-orgnzrs-caddys-roadcaddy.php

And as to bags, how about just a tight wool sock? Have got my tube in a sock, works great.

Btw whoever said to put the frame pump in a tube is a genius, thank you.

Last edited by: Hepcat on July 7, 2018, 8:13 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 7, 2018, 9:32 p.m.

^Not bad. Like those road pouches for the jersey pocket. 

How about put a tube in one of those Avocado socks,eh?

July 8, 2018, 10:23 a.m.

My race face stash opened up on trail today and I lost my dynaplug (red) canister and some park tire levers somewhere on expresso /lower expresso/ penzoil. An expressive lesson. Might go the fanny pack route for shorter rides.

July 8, 2018, 3:07 p.m.

https://www.rapha.cc/ca/en/shop/rainproof-essentials-case/product/LEC05XXTEL

SAVE25  for 25% ends tonight