On-Bike Tools and Repair Storage

July 2, 2018, 12:40 p.m.

I've made inquiries and a cloth bag with a Velcro closure would cost about $30 in materials and manufacturing time at $0 markup (as in labour and materials only).  She'd need a commitment of at least 30 items for a test production run, otherwise, it isn't worth it for her sewing staff to manufacture the bags.

I'm going to work on prototyping one and see if there is interest, if so, and there is commitment from guys on here, I can ask her to do a first run. She has about 10 meters of blue 3 ply non branded Gore-tex, which she'll use for the first run.  Prices would go up if a different fabric was requested/ordered.

July 2, 2018, 1:25 p.m.

Rashid, all you need is a square of cordura and a rubber ski strap like Voile, G3 Blackdiamond or One Up sell. Wrap the tube, tools and whatever else in the nylon and strap it to the sadddle rails or other spot. Done. I used this for quite a while.

July 2, 2018, 1:29 p.m.

Or one of those tool pouches road cyclists slip into their jersey pocket.

July 2, 2018, 1:58 p.m.

Hi Andy, 

I was thinking something along the lines of a small dry bag that can be used along with a Race Face Strap or similar. It would keep your tools & tube dry/muck free. 

This might be a non-existent problem that nobody needs to solve.

July 2, 2018, 2:36 p.m.

Posted by: rnayel

Hi Andy, 

I was thinking something along the lines of a small dry bag that can be used along with a Race Face Strap or similar. It would keep your tools & tube dry/muck free. 

This is exactly what I have been thinking about too, no velcro, that stuff can get gross in the long run if it keeps on getting dirty. A very small drybag is what would work best for this solution I think.

July 2, 2018, 2:43 p.m.

Posted by: pedalhound

Hi Andy,

This is exactly what I have been thinking about too, no velcro, that stuff can get gross in the long run if it keeps on getting dirty. A very small drybag is what would work best for this solution I think.

What would you suggest for closure, velcro is the most secure for low profile and cost effectiveness.

Alternative would be little button clasps, but it's less water resistant. I asked about a zipper, but it adds $ to manufacturing cost.

Last edited by: rnayel on July 2, 2018, 2:43 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 2, 2018, 3 p.m.

Hi Andy,

What would you suggest for closure, velcro is the most secure for low profile and cost effectiveness.

Alternative would be little button clasps, but it's less water resistant. I asked about a zipper, but it adds $ to manufacturing cost.

You could do a doudle D loop strap like older motorcycle helmets. It will secure it tight and is adjustable.

Last edited by: DemonMike on July 2, 2018, 3 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 2, 2018, 5:32 p.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

Hi Andy,

You could do a doudle D loop strap like older motorcycle helmets. It will secure it tight and is adjustable.

Any reason why something like this wouldnt work?

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5030-651/Nano-XP-Dry-Bag

Im not sure what size you are looking for (maybe its too big?), but this one has attachment points and no velcro.

Or maybe this:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5003-652/Pocket-Dry-Bag

A bit smaller, but no attachment points.

Last edited by: shoreboy on July 2, 2018, 5:37 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added item
July 2, 2018, 6:22 p.m.

A dry bag looks something like this:

Instructions on how to make a custom dry bag:

http://www.paddlewise.com/topics/boatequip/drybag.pdf

July 2, 2018, 6:24 p.m.

I’ve used something similar in the past - the inner dry bag part of an Arkel seat bag plus a toe strap. 

I switched over to a seat bag because it was quicker to get tools in and out of a seat bag vs completely removing the bag and unwrapping it each time I needed to use a tool.

July 3, 2018, 5:47 p.m.

Bike designers spent so much time and energy designing lighter bikes all so people could turn around and mount as much shit as possible to the frame.

This is why we don't have nice things.

July 3, 2018, 7:13 p.m.

I dont understand the trend of wanting to put all that extra weight on your bike either, but each to their own I guess.

July 3, 2018, 7:36 p.m.

I'm running the big pump from One Up with the EDC tool tucked inside. A bit of cash, zip ties, sticker patches, tire boots, and quick link for the chain. I don't think the tools are the best, but they will get out out of a jam and since everything seals up nice, they are always on the bike and with you on a ride. And that's kinda the point... I used one of those RaceFace gear straps to attach the tube to the top side of the down tube. Doesn't feel like the most secure set up, but it works. Maybe check out the One Up gear straps.

I get that some people want to keep their bikes as light as possible, but I'm going to carry the gear anyway. So I'd like to get it off my back so I don't have to bring a pack. Especially on short-ish rides.

Last edited by: grimwood on July 3, 2018, 7:40 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 3, 2018, 9:39 p.m.

Posted by: TonyJ

Slightly off subject, but is anybody running a water bottle on the underside of the downtube?

If so, what type of cage and bottle, my big concern would be losing the bottle in rough terrain.

I would love to get the pack off my back for shorter rides, carrying a bottle would be my only concern, the other stuff seems easy enough to figure out.

I've done this and eventually gave up as I found I'd trash the bottle and cage. My bike has a rough life and if you have something sticking out on the downtube it gets beat up in crashes and loading in vehicles.

For most cages I tried you need an extra strap to be 101% sure to not lose it. Strangely I found the fabric bottle system to be very secure but the bottles are more brittle than normal bottles and cracked mine.

The dirtyness complaint I keep hearing never bothered me as you can just unscrew the cap if it looks nasty.

July 4, 2018, 2:56 p.m.

http://diginfo.ru/en/tire-pressure-mtb-bike/