On-Bike Tools and Repair Storage

June 29, 2018, 8:52 p.m.

Slightly off subject, but is anybody running a water bottle on the underside of the downtube? 

If so, what type of cage and bottle, my big concern would be losing the bottle in rough terrain. 

I would love to get the pack off my back for shorter rides, carrying a bottle would be my only concern, the other stuff seems easy enough to figure out.

June 29, 2018, 9:10 p.m.

Posted by: craw

What about these bottle-shaped tool kegs? I guess if you only have one bottle mount this is a non-starter.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Xlab-Gear-Box-Bottle-Cage-Bag-Kit (pricey)

https://www.jensonusa.com/Whisky-Keg-Storage-Bottle (a bit too simple)

I actually won a topeak one, but never use it because I need water in that cage haha. Maybe if I had two cages.

June 29, 2018, 9:11 p.m.

Posted by: TonyJ

Slightly off subject, but is anybody running a water bottle on the underside of the downtube? 

If so, what type of cage and bottle, my big concern would be losing the bottle in rough terrain. 

I would love to get the pack off my back for shorter rides, carrying a bottle would be my only concern, the other stuff seems easy enough to figure out.

Seth's Bike Hacks made a video on this topic and I'm pretty sure he came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it. It will almost always be at risk of coming out due to the angle the bottle is placed, plus you have to deal with a bottle full of dirt splashed on it!

June 29, 2018, 9:14 p.m.

Ha I was just about to post about his videos. He did a comparison of how easy bottles came out, think one of the specialized zee cages was the winner?

June 29, 2018, 9:42 p.m.

Posted by: Kevin26

Ha I was just about to post about his videos. He did a comparison of how easy bottles came out, think one of the specialized zee cages was the winner?

yeah but even that one was still dropping the bottle haha. He said to make it completely efficient you would need to put a strap on it to reinforce the bottle so it doesn't drop as easy

June 30, 2018, 8:12 a.m.

I mean there are some setups where it won’t work but I’m amazed how this seems like some major puzzle to some folks.

Seat bag for tools and tube, (Specialized makes some damn good ones) pump in a water bottle cage mount (in a sleeve made from a tube).  Same setup I’ve been using since the mid/90’s...

Lower COG is always good but my post is dropped whenever that actually matters so I’ve never noticed the weight of the seat bag myself.  A little bag that fit in the knook above the B.B. might be nice but that’s a pretty tight spot in my bike.

The one up stuff seems really slick, if pricey. If I were starting from scratch I’d take a good long look at their stuff. First time my pump fails me I’ll probably get one of theirs, that thing is smart as hell.

June 30, 2018, 9:38 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

I mean there are some setups where it won’t work but I’m amazed how this seems like some major puzzle to some folks.

Seat bag for tools and tube, (Specialized makes some damn good ones) pump in a water bottle cage mount (in a sleeve made from a tube).  Same setup I’ve been using since the mid/90’s...

Lower COG is always good but my post is dropped whenever that actually matters so I’ve never noticed the weight of the seat bag myself.  A little bag that fit in the knook above the B.B. might be nice but that’s a pretty tight spot in my bike.

The one up stuff seems really slick, if pricey. If I were starting from scratch I’d take a good long look at their stuff. First time my pump fails me I’ll probably get one of theirs, that thing is smart as hell.

One potential problem with a seat bag these days is with your post dropped, longer travel suspension deep in its travel will rub the tire on that bag. It’s why I can’t use a seat storage on my Bronson. 125 travel post too.

June 30, 2018, 11:10 a.m.

Yep. Some post/bag strap combos don’t work at full drop either.

June 30, 2018, 3:41 p.m.

google "cageless water bottle"

a buddy mounts one of those cage-less water bottles on the water bottle mounts under the down tube on a yeti,

I was skeptical but in spite of Enduro-ing  pretty hard he sez he hasn't hit anything or lost the bottle.

A couple of plastic mounts/studs are screwed into your water bottle mounts and slots in the water bottle slide onto these studs,  its very light and < 20$

https://www.bikemag.com/gear/accessories/miscellaneous/review-fabrics-cageless-water-bottle/

June 30, 2018, 4:17 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

a buddy mounts one of those cage-less water bottles on the water bottle mounts under the down tube on a yeti,

I was skeptical but in spite of Enduro-ing  pretty hard he sez he hasn't hit anything or lost the bottle.

A couple of plastic mounts/studs are screwed into your water bottle mounts and slots in the water bottle slide onto these studs,  its very light and < 20$

https://www.bikemag.com/gear/accessories/miscellaneous/review-fabrics-cageless-water-bottle/

This is pretty awesome. I just wish they made a bottle with a cover for the actual drink nozzle to keep away dirt/mud 

https://fabric.cc/products/bottles/

June 30, 2018, 4:34 p.m.

Posted by: PSY

This is pretty awesome. I just wish they made a bottle with a cover for the actual drink nozzle to keep away dirt/mud 

https://fabric.cc/products/bottles/

Lots of the lids are interchangable between bottles, so if you buy the fabric one, then try some out til you find one that works.

As a Yeti owner, im constantly surprised by people having such a hard time with bottles on the bottom. I have a Giant one with a multitool attached underneath, and a bottle with a squeezable top so i dont have to stick my mouth on the bottle. It also means i squirt some away if its muddy out and clean the nozzle. I can reach it without lowering my saddle (and im unflexible af).

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5025-090/Ultralight-Waterproof-3-First-Aid-Kit

This could be a good way to keep stuff dry. They are reasonably tough, ugly though. Im sure you can find decent ones.

June 30, 2018, 7:02 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Ironically, the article you linked didn't care for the bottle and most of the consumer comments underneath panned the Fabric bottles, said they wouldn't even stay on their road bikes, let alone a mtn bike. Maybe they have done a revamp of the design since then, what specific model does your Buddy use, sounds like we ride similar terrain.

Last edited by: TonyJ on June 30, 2018, 7:02 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 30, 2018, 7:26 p.m.

"My primary concern was that the bottle would fly off the studs mid-descent, and just to test it I spent my first ride with the bottle half full, drinking from a different source to see if the sloshing water was going to push the Fabric bottle loose. There was nary a nudge. Indeed, dislodging the bottle from its studs requires a bit more muscle than with a traditional cage"

The bottle did not come off is what i read in that^^ link and they were more concerned with how hard it was to get the botttle back in the studs

Duno what brand my buddy used but it looked like the Fabric brand, I think he said something about how tight you do up the stud will determine how much the plastic spreads and affect how the stud grips the bottle

but if you don't want a cage under there this is yer option

Last edited by: XXX_er on June 30, 2018, 7:35 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 30, 2018, 8:09 p.m.

Yeah been there done that , my Process was bottom of the downtube , and yes I dropped  a bottle a few times . Bontrager makes a plastic cage that is a side load and can be either RH or LH . This cage and a Podium bottle worked very well together

June 30, 2018, 11:25 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Put all your tools in the keg, and use the water bottle mount.  Put your water in a backpack.....oh wait....

I second this.

I put tools etc into three categories luxury, what you need and what you might be able to get away with.

What you might be able to get away with is IMO: plugs and a CO2

What you need: Tube, pump, multi-tool (you can often get away with a CO2 only but sometimes you find a second problem after you "blow your load." You can almost always get home by putting a tube in it where as plugs are less certain)

Luxury: I consider CO2 a luxury.

I have two setups.

1) Unfortunately my Evil doesn't have a bottle cage so I carry a camel bak. I put in a small EDC pump with the EDC kit in it. I have a great saddle bag made by a guy on Vancouver Island (Farsik). He doesn't have the one I like on his site anymore but it is like a little courier bag on my saddle. Holds a tube, CO2 and some plugs.

2) My Honzo has a long EDC pump with the EDC tool and plugs/pliers inside. I also have a farsik seat bag on this one with a tube and co2 inside.

With either of these set ups, I never get stuck in the woods.