Old Lyrik set-up advice

May 7, 2016, 10:51 a.m.

Hi,

Bought a used 26" 2011 Lyrik Solo air Mission Control DH in quite good condition as a backup while my other fork is in for service.

Stripped it down, put in new oil seals/dust wipers, fresh oil, lubed up some o-rings. Internals looked solid, stanchions are good.

Now testing it, and I do have some questions:

1.) Recommended psi on the fork: To achieve proper sag, I need to run way more than what is printed on the lowers. way way more. Now at 80 psi instead of 55 psi.

2.) Brake dive. Massive.

3.) HSC/LSC settings don't do a lot. Did follow exact oil levels on the fork, still totally underwhelmed on effect of the compression settings. Rebound works fine.

So, some quick questions:

On the spring side: Does a Pike air cap fit so you can add bottomless tokens?

On the damping side: Any advice on damping other than to retrofit a charger cartridge? How do I identify a broken MC DH HSC/LSC unit?

KR,

g_k

May 7, 2016, 12:23 p.m.

If I remember correctly from back in the day, I always had to run a touch more air pressure than recommended.
But… it sounds to me like the Motion Control is blown. Was a common problem and unfortunately, the entire damper would typically need to be replaced as swapping out whichever o-rings that needed to be replaced was next to impossible due to the design of the cartridge. IIRC seeing if the cartridge was dead was also not really possible.

May 7, 2016, 3:33 p.m.

On the spring side: Does a Pike air cap fit so you can add bottomless tokens?

g_k

Yes, the pike air cap and tokens fit.

Look here for tons of info on the older lyrik…http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=103434[HTML_REMOVED]pagenum=173#commentid6224567

May 7, 2016, 6:25 p.m.

Mission control dh sounds dead. Order the lyric charger upgrade damper kit.

May 7, 2016, 9:40 p.m.

I had the same fork for many years, it sounds like the compression circuit may be shot on yours as I always had a lot of adjustment with the hsc/lsc.

If I remember I ran around 58psi in the fork and I weigh a little over 170lbs, so close to 180lbs with gear. 3-4 clicks of lsc to keep it from diving and maybe one click of hsc.

Great performance from the lyric and while I like my current pike I can't say it's leaps and bounds better than the rc2dh damper, but that's just my opinion.

The only problems I had with mine were annual rebuilds as an o-ring in the compression side would blow and start leaking oil into the lowers over time until the fork would simply lock out