OK all you know it alls

Sept. 21, 2022, 5:20 p.m.

Oh FFS now I even have to go down the fork offset rabbit hole.  FML.

Sept. 22, 2022, 7:17 a.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

At least you only need to go through this process once every 8 years?

Sept. 22, 2022, 7:27 a.m.

Don't sweat it. Fork offset is nog a huge deal in my experience. I rode my previous bike back to back with the same fork with two different offsets (due to replacement CSU). The difference was noticeable at first but my brain adjusted for the minor difference within the first 500 m of trail.

Sept. 22, 2022, 3:38 p.m.

Posted by: mammal

At least you only need to go through this process once every 8 years?

Good point.  And now that I read some info on it, and I'm planning on putting on a -2 degree angleset, lower offset would bring the wheel back in somewhat.  Should be a good combo.

Sept. 23, 2022, 9:08 a.m.

Hey anyone here like to run a coil fork (Z1 Coil for example) on their hardtail. Never had a coil fork but there's always hype. Obvious pros: simpler set up, less maintenance, smoother small bump compliance. Obvious cons: Weight, less progressive feel (is that a strange feeling on steep shit?) and of course if I'm between say medium and firm coil for my weight there could be compromises.

Forgive my coil nubeness but would it even make sense to have such a buttery smooth fork up front on a hardtail? I have mixed thoughts on this for sure and zero experience. Would be an expensive experiment.

Last edited by: BC_Nuggets on Sept. 23, 2022, 10:27 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 23, 2022, 10:47 a.m.

Hey anyone here like to run a coil fork (Z1 Coil for example) on their hardtail. Never had a coil fork but there's always hype. Obvious pros: simpler set up, less maintenance, smoother small bump compliance. Obvious cons: Weight, less progressive feel (is that a strange feeling on steep shit?) and of course if I'm between say medium and firm coil for my weight there could be compromises.

Forgive my coil nubeness but would it even make sense to have such a buttery smooth fork up front on a hardtail? I have mixed thoughts on this for sure and zero experience. Would be an expensive experiment.

I have a MRP Ribbon Coil on one hardtail and a Marz Z1 [Air] on another hardtail. They are both excellent forks and I'd happy run either. My coil is setup heavily sprung on my SS bike so it's the less plush more supportive of the two. That's a choice though not something that is due to it being a coil. Despite the coil being linear I've never used 100% of the travel on that fork.

Sept. 23, 2022, 1:33 p.m.

I really enjoy my z1 coil on my Doctahawk. Very plush off the top which lets me really weight it without my wrists paying the price. I also like how it’s easy to switch from 150-170 mm travel

Sept. 23, 2022, 2:14 p.m.

I have a helm coil that was on a full sus but I sold that bike with a different fork so I am contemplating putting it on my primer. I have no reservation about doing so. Also, suspension werx sold me the fork and used a ohlins coil - apparently they have smaller steps between coils. The only difference I notice between the coil and my other air forks is that I feel bottom outs more so than on air forks. I bottom out airforks but I think it is less noticeable due to ramp up. I have only bottomed out the coil once or twice but felt the clunk which I don't notice on the air forks.

Sept. 23, 2022, 5:43 p.m.

I've had a collection of coil forks. Tipping into steeps is positive - mid-stroke is better than air. Provided the spring rate is right. Plush off the top is always welcome.

Only trouble I've found is on FS, a coil upfront is hard to balance with an air shock. Coil both ends is ace.

Sept. 24, 2022, 10:02 a.m.

BTW - with a coil you have to swap springs to adjust the spring rate....sort of obvious....vs. just adjusting air pressure on an air fork. If you buy a aftermarket MRP Ribbon Coil they give you the 3 middle springs out of 5. So you can probably dial it in out of the box unless you are super heavy or super light. I am not sure what say Marzochi or Cane Creek do when selling aftermarket coil forks. You may need to buy at least one spring in addition to what comes in the fork unless they provide a few options or you happen to be well suited for the stock spring....probably a medium weight option.

So some faffing around at the start. OTOH once you get the right spring installed you can pull that bike down off the hook and ride it after some time away and know you'll still have the same spring rate as when you rode it last. You also don't have to worry that an air seal will fail and take your fork out of action at an inopportune time.

Sept. 24, 2022, 11:24 a.m.

I’m kind of getting excited for a z1 coil.  It seems like adjusting travel is fairly easy too.  Coming from 140 fox 34 I’d probably lower it to 150.

Sept. 26, 2022, 6:52 p.m.

I see the Mastodon is back as of 2 hrs ago. Huge W for Manitou if they're planning to reduce SKUs at retail level.  Sounds like travel adjust is super easy.

Anyway; wonder if the Mattoc is due up for a refresh and thats why its gone.

Sept. 27, 2022, 7:55 a.m.

I have no intel on this, but I'm assuming that with the weight and travel adjustments of the Mezzer, it eats the Mattoc's lunch. 

The Mattoc was a great fork though, for pretty much everything but the burliest stuff. I kicked mine down to my wife's bike, and it still feels so damn good. IRT, great damper and hydraulic bottom-out, what more could you ask for (aside from a bit more stiffness)?