OK all you know it alls

Sept. 17, 2022, 5:06 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Posted by: Vikb

I send my forks to Vorsprung as required for damper service based on the recommended service intervals and I do my own lower service.

I’m pretty similar in that I have S4 (formerly Melius, formerly Vorsprung) and do my own lowers service.

I have a confession to make: I've never done the lowers service on any of my forks. I bring them in for a full rebuild every winter and then just ride them for the entire year (which typically ends up being roughly around 100h).

Sept. 17, 2022, 5:36 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

I have a confession to make: I've never done the lowers service on any of my forks. I bring them in for a full rebuild every winter and then just ride them for the entire year (which typically ends up being roughly around 100h).

Could be worse. I've had folks overhear me talk to someone else about fork servicing and later on ask if they were supposed to do anything to their fork or shock or their 2-3 year old bike. I'd love to know if they started servicing their suspension at all or stuck with the do nothing plan.

Last edited by: Vikb on Sept. 18, 2022, 8:49 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 18, 2022, 8:48 a.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

I send my forks to Vorsprung as required for damper service based on the recommended service intervals and I do my own lower service.

I’m pretty similar in that I have S4 (formerly Melius, formerly Vorsprung) and do my own lowers service.

Do it son. It’s easy and every time I do one I wonder why I hadn’t done it sooner. Makes more difference than any kashima bullshit.

Sept. 18, 2022, 8:53 a.m.

Niels if it's a question of hassle/mess I have a workstand and oil pan in my garage you can use anytime. I have moto suspension oil you can use. Not exactly what is spec'd by the various brands, but works fine for lowers lubrication purposes.

Sept. 18, 2022, 9:06 a.m.

Thanks Vik, appreciate it. Might be a good idea to do it sometime, if nothing else then at least for educational purposes.

Although my forks have always felt great before going in for annual service and came out feeling equally great, I never felt any difference. I did once effectively have a lowers service done when Jeff @ Wheelthing replaced the creaking CSU on my Pike in the middle of the season. Didn't feel any difference after that either. I may just not be that hard on forks or I may just not be that sensitive to how my suspension works.

Sept. 18, 2022, 9:48 a.m.

Could be worse. I've had folks overhear me talk to someone else about fork servicing and later on ask if they were supposed to do anything to their fork or shock or their 2-3 year old bike. I'd love to know if they started servicing their suspension at all or stuck with the do nothing plan.

They probably bought a few $500 add-ons from Vorsprung for that coil-like feel.

Sept. 18, 2022, 10:02 a.m.

Posted by: craw

I'd be impressed if they started doing fork lower services at all. Sending a fork away for a damper service? Seems unlikely for folks like that. I'm over on Van Isle so you are shipping a fork if you want a damper service.

Sept. 18, 2022, 7:31 p.m.

What is this fork service you speak of? Replacing stickers that have rips in them?

Sept. 19, 2022, 12:26 a.m.

because I can't have any fun on a 51mm offset crown.

Funny, I prefer my 51 offset forks.

Sept. 19, 2022, 9:59 a.m.

I'd be impressed if they started doing fork lower services at all. Sending a fork away for a damper service? Seems unlikely for folks like that. I'm over on Van Isle so you are shipping a fork if you want a damper service.

When I inevitably move back to the Island at some point, I'm doubling down on DVO forks and shocks. I've got no problems doing 100% of the service on those guys.

Last edited by: mammal on Sept. 19, 2022, 9:59 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 19, 2022, 10:42 a.m.

It's a little surprising no-one does suspension services in the Comox Valley. I did get spoiled in North Van with multiple local options and especially liked it when I could simply walk 2 blocks to Jeff's shop. However packing up and shipping once a year is not much more of a hassle than bringing it in. In fact I was just looking at S4 and apparently they arrange for Canpar to pick up the package.

Sept. 20, 2022, 12:25 p.m.

It's a little surprising no-one does suspension services in the Comox Valley. I did get spoiled in North Van with multiple local options and especially liked it when I could simply walk 2 blocks to Jeff's shop. However packing up and shipping once a year is not much more of a hassle than bringing it in. In fact I was just looking at S4 and apparently they arrange for Canpar to pick up the package.

Yep, there's a market. The thing is, you need to be ready to open a shop that caters to cheap-ass mountain bikers (compared to other sports requiring routine suspension service), and you need to be OK with the fact that you won't really get orders from non-Island customers. That combo of factors, and it kind of makes sense.

I was talking with my good buddy that works at suspension werx, and he was breaking down how little money there is in bike suspension, compared to automotive/motorcycle/sleds. And mountain bikers usually whine and complain about needing to replace the $50-$100 parts that they didn't even know existed, made by companies that are happy to cut huge corners due to their market presence. Plenty of good insights that kinda kill the open-a-suspension-shop dream.

Last edited by: mammal on Sept. 20, 2022, 12:25 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 20, 2022, 12:42 p.m.

Posted by: mammal

Yep, there's a market. The thing is, you need to be ready to open a shop that caters to cheap-ass mountain bikers (compared to other sports requiring routine suspension service), and you need to be OK with the fact that you won't really get orders from non-Island customers. That combo of factors, and it kind of makes sense.

I was talking with my good buddy that works at suspension werx, and he was breaking down how little money there is in bike suspension, compared to automotive/motorcycle/sleds. And mountain bikers usually whine and complain about needing to replace the $50-$100 parts that they didn't even know existed, made by companies that are happy to cut huge corners due to their market presence. Plenty of good insights that kinda kill the open-a-suspension-shop dream.

Haha yes that makes sense. Like I said I got spoiled when I had Wheelthing in my street. How many local service-only bike shops will adjust the gears on your townie as well as offer damper rebuilds by a WCDH/EWS mechanic?

Sept. 20, 2022, 6:34 p.m.

If it’s the older 36 I would spend money in an MRP ramp cartridge with fulfill, a grip damper, and a service. You’ll get a kick arse fork,as good as anything else out there, maybe better.

Sept. 21, 2022, 5:09 p.m.

I have a fox float 34 rlc which, if I'm not mistaken, was fox's first 34mm stanchion fork and only made in 2012 or 2013 and replaced by a much maligned damper (FIT?) then it was good again?  LOL, yeah I'm old and so is my fork.

Anyway, am I going to die riding it?  I've literally had it serviced twice since I bought it used in 2014 or so.

I really should replace it though so I will probably go with a Bomber Z1 Air and I'd need a new front wheel or at least some sort of adapter to work with the boost spacing.  Fucking technology!  I bet after I buy this shit my bike will run 5% better.  :cry: