Oh hey, my tire is on PB

March 18, 2011, 12:41 a.m.

So was this a format agreement where you got paid or was this an angry email telling them their suspension setup was all wrong and that they need to change their tires?

Tire looks great btw.

Are you rolling in dough or what Wayne???? Do tell!

nobody is this dumb.

March 18, 2011, 12:48 a.m.

well that seems pretty cool to be involved w the development of a new tire for maxxis. i just picked up two maxxis 2.50 folding evo triple compound dhf minnions and im running them front and back. they are by far the best tires i have ever ridden in these spring swamp conditions, for me blows the doors off of my old nevegals. a 2.4 high roller w the sipes might be bang on perfect.

March 18, 2011, 6:53 a.m.

Are you rolling in dough or what Wayne???? Do tell!

umm… no. Well I do have a part time job now fabricating granite counter tops…. I sure am rolling in the dough with that! :rolleyes: :lol:

If this tire sells well hopefully you'll see a new Minion DH-R or another descent rear tire, because the industry is seriously lacking in that dept. I think there may be 2 or 3 good rear specific tires on the market today.

FYI, the ramps on these knobs are steeper than on the high roller's, which were too "floaty".

Peatty, Minnaar, and those other WC dudes had some good things to say about it. What they said addressed all the changes I made to the HR.

Now all I need is a proper DH bike to try out my own tires! hahaha….

March 18, 2011, 9:23 a.m.

umm… no. Well I do have a part time job now fabricating granite counter tops…. I sure am rolling in the dough with that! :rolleyes: :lol:

If this tire sells well hopefully you'll see a new Minion DH-R or another descent rear tire, because the industry is seriously lacking in that dept. I think there may be 2 or 3 good rear specific tires on the market today.

FYI, the ramps on these knobs are steeper than on the high roller's, which were too "floaty".

Peatty, Minnaar, and those other WC dudes had some good things to say about it. What they said addressed all the changes I made to the HR.

Now all I need is a proper DH bike to try out my own tires! hahaha….

Joking aside - good job Wayne.

One of the best things about this forum is the depth and breadth of people with knowledge that doesn't just come from reading MBA.

March 18, 2011, 4:46 p.m.

Nice tire Wayne.

Norco vs. Trek….

Similar but different. The sipes look like they'll help in the wet.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

March 18, 2011, 5:16 p.m.

That Conti has too much space between its knobs, kinda like the space between my ears. Might suffer from the DH-R effect (no braking). I'm not sure why they have that flange thing sticking out on the outside edge of the intermediate knob. Plus, the side lugs are too uniform, should be broken up a little more.

March 18, 2011, 5:51 p.m.

Looks pretty nice.

I might just have to pick up a pair for this season. Minions are my favourite all-round tires but I always wished they rolled a little better, these might just be the ticket.

March 18, 2011, 6:49 p.m.

Think High Roller but with much better braking, turn-in/cornering traction, and overall better bite in soft conditions. Peat and Minnaar also noted those traits. ;)

March 18, 2011, 6:57 p.m.

Looks like wayne should just buy Raceface and start doing drawing and getting them to sell "his" tires.

March 19, 2011, 7:12 a.m.

The sponsored riders did not play a role in the design of the tire. The Pinkbike editor got it wrong, and he has since revised the article. Wayne did help with the design, though (pro bono). It was kind of funny, actually. I had been thinking about making revising the High Roller for some time, and then out of the blue Wayne sent me an email with a picture of proposed modifications to the High Roller. A couple of the modifications were similar to those I had been thinking about, so I decided to include him in the design process (which took about a month). I think it worked out well.

The knob height won't be changed, though. The center tread height is the same as the original HR, and the shoulder is a slight bit higher. As it stands now, we have a winner.

If you have any other questions, just shoot.

-Bryan Holwell, Senior Tire Design [HTML_REMOVED] Development Engineer, Maxxis

March 19, 2011, 10:28 a.m.

Oh snap!

Go Wayne Go!

Thanks for chiming in Bryan, it looks like a keeper

Bicycles!

March 19, 2011, 10:36 a.m.

Hi Bryan!

Reading the RideMonkey thread is hilarious.

March 19, 2011, 10:07 p.m.

The Maxxis Stay-at-home Dad is kinda catchy

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

March 20, 2011, 6:39 a.m.

Hey I work part time damn it! :P

April 4, 2011, 12:14 p.m.

Hey Hans Rey called and wants his tire design back… (jk, although it does look very similar)