NSMB Light DH bike build off 7+"

Dec. 5, 2008, 12:03 a.m.

unless a spring is progessively wound it is linear, like how a fork is linear and with a rear shock its the linkage that changes the rate. As far as I know anyway. Ti springas are just more reactive than steel as they are less sprung weight so they move easier, and Ti is a more reactive material.

ride both and you'll know the difference.

probably never going back to steel…

Dec. 5, 2008, 1:46 a.m.

thanks, the guy whos selling the springs doesnt really say if the spring really fits anything he says the 2.5" stroke spring safely compresses upto 3.1" but later says that if you need a spring for a shock with a 2.8 stroke you should use a 3.0" stroke spring i might just have to risk the $50 and if it doesnt work i can always sell it

i've bought 4 springs from that guy… the 2.5 inch stroke has the same free length and looks identical to a 2.75 manitou ti spring… which susposedly works on a 3inch stroke shock… free length is approx 150mm… distance between coils is over 90mm… dhx should be fine… the slightly larger diameter shocks are hit and miss… my ccdb fits the 375x2.5 and the 450x2.25 without rubbing but the 350x2.25 rubs…

a dhx with a .25 inch undersized ti spring is a light setup if the fit is right… i setup my GF's bike with a DHX coil (8.5x2.5) and a 275 x 2.25 ti spring (recommended weight) and the entire setup only weighs 565g!… aka only 120g more than a DHX air

while ti may feel better/softer, in my experience setting sag/spring weight is the same going from steel to ti… ie don't increase your spring rate for a ti spring…

Dec. 5, 2008, 8:26 a.m.

same with the Crank Brothers so far, although we'll see how it stands up to a wet winter.

No…if acros are the end-all, crank bros obviously cannot be the end-all as well.

sheesh.

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve

Dec. 5, 2008, 8:39 a.m.

isn't Crank Brothers made in the good old USA supporting your local economy and keeping good old folk employed, while the Acros is some Eurotrash brand from Deutchland?

I got half a mind to send the Teamsters over to your house right now

Dec. 5, 2008, 8:43 a.m.

isn't Crank Brothers made in the good old USA supporting your local economy and keeping good old folk employed, while the Acros is some Eurotrash brand from Deutchland?

Crank Brothers = Tai-wan

Crank Brothers is headquartered and designed in the "good old USA" so their contribution to the North American economy is going to be higher then Acros… but not from manufacturing.

Back to Ti-springs.

They save ~1/4 pound and they look pretty… since when did the weight weenie thread care about how stuff actually functions?

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Dec. 5, 2008, 10:37 a.m.

…and? :)

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve

Dec. 15, 2008, 2:25 p.m.

Not even really an honourable mention @ 38.82lbs:

New ride
Jumping on the bandwagon
Money shot

The Demo 7 frames are going for peanuts in the UK at the minute, so a new headset and back wheel and most of the stuff from my Team DH is reused (well the SLX cranks were so cheap they were almost free).
A Ti spring and to build a matching hope hub for the front are in the pipeline, but for right now i just have a pair of Ashima brake rotors to fit.

Dec. 16, 2008, 9:50 a.m.

Not even really an honourable mention @ 38.82lbs:

New ride
Jumping on the bandwagon
Money shot

The Demo 7 frames are going for peanuts in the UK at the minute, so a new headset and back wheel and most of the stuff from my Team DH is reused (well the SLX cranks were so cheap they were almost free).
A Ti spring and to build a matching hope hub for the front are in the pipeline, but for right now i just have a pair of Ashima brake rotors to fit.

That Demo 7 frame looks really nice. I'd be interested to see how you think it rides. What was the frame weight difference between the Demo 7 and the Team DH?

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

Dec. 16, 2008, 11:42 a.m.

The Demo frame was 4990g - shock, seatclamp, steel spring. I'll weigh the TDH and let you know. It wasn't a weight decision, just a 'ooh new bike' type thing.

There is an uplit day at the end of the month, so i'll give it a good shakedown and see whether i like it enough to keep it ove the TDH.
Cindy has just confirmed us for Whistler next summer so it'll get some use either way.

Dec. 16, 2008, 1:01 p.m.

It wasn't a weight decision, just a 'ooh Sam Hill rides that' type thing.

FYP :)

Are you back in the UK for good then?

Dec. 16, 2008, 11:24 p.m.

Are you back in the UK for good then?

No - thank f%ck! I am just getting some stuff done over here - which means a few months. Getting a job at the local shop seemed like a cool plan, i brought my DH bike because i thought that i'd get more use out of it. I should have brought my Chromag - then the worst that i could have done would have been some Lyriks on the front.
I'll be back in Canada in early March, back in Whis in May. Maybe on the Shore for a week or two in between.

Dec. 16, 2008, 11:31 p.m.

Sam Hill doesn't ride one of these, in much the same way that he didn't ride a Sunday either.

I had two Demos (05 + 06 Demo 8s) and when i tried one of the new style Bighits discovered that i didn't really like the way that all the Demos weight seemed concentrated behind the seatpost/bb.
That's what led me to get on the Brodie Devo (07) and then the Norco TDH (08). I still have the TDH frame, and i am hoping that this newer style Demo has alleviated some of the issues that i had with the older two - but if not i will be back on the TDH for another season.
The price the frame was going for - Specialized UK doesn't bring in ANY of the Demo lineup for 09, so it was 08 clearance! - was peanuts.

Jan. 16, 2009, 4:49 p.m.

nice bike. no scale shot…
so apeshape, does it renew your lust for Sunn

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214088

Jan. 16, 2009, 7:28 p.m.

That bike is ILL! must be a nice weight! Beauty

.:NSTP:.

Jan. 16, 2009, 7:35 p.m.

claimed 34.8