NSMB - Help me with bike keeping

March 22, 2023, 10:31 a.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Posted by: earleb

Now our conversation this morning makes sense when you said you have a too many bikes problem. 

Keep one Cache, set it up for commute, gravel, and fondo.  

Keep Chromag for riding around with the kids. 

Keep Titan. 

Sell the rest. 

A set of fast light tires/wheels that can be swapped back n forth from Primer to Titan and adjusting either bikes fork up or down 10mm can change the spectrum of each. 

Heavy tires 170mm Titan for shred. Light fast tires/wheels and -10mm Titan for trail. Heavy tires and 160mm Primer for ht shred. Light fast tires/wheels and -10 Primer for xc/trail.

Agreed

Agree with Earl. Keep the Chromag Primer partially for riding with the kids. Personally the Primer like the Rootdown so far is a pretty good as do it all. Plus if you desire the Primer will fit a 27.5x2.8-3.0 size tire if you live in an area with snow.

March 22, 2023, 10:39 a.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

N+1

Buy a Pinarello Dogma.

Man, you are asking the wrong crowd. High fives for the stellar collection and what's next?

Really though, what do you ride the most? Just look at the cold objective facts: Walk around picking them upnin turn and talking to each of them in an ASMR voice, I assume they all have names, and ask yourself how full your heart is. 

Get a tissue box and list a couple for sale. When the buyer shows up yell NO and bring them back inside.

-------------

Lol, but someone tried to buy my 26" Kuwahara cruiser last month (after I advertised it on Craigslist), I deemed him not worthy and put it back in the car and took the ad down.

March 22, 2023, 10:51 a.m.

I think that I'll just buy an s-works stumpjumper and call it a day

March 22, 2023, 11:16 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Lol, but someone tried to buy my 26" Kuwahara cruiser last month (after I advertised it on Craigslist), I deemed him not worthy and put it back in the car and took the ad down.

Someone stole my Apollo-badged Kuwahara cruiser from my Toyota Van around 2002, and I LOVED that bike. Been looking for another one ever since.

March 22, 2023, 1:22 p.m.

Kuwahara factory is still turning them out. I bought mine from some fixie shop in California couple years ago. Full original 80's repop except with functional v brakes instead of cosmetic u. 

Btw, these bikes are terrible to ride. Quill stems makes front ends super tall, and bars had loads of sweep. Combined with 80's short top tubes and weird angles it's just a crap BMX compared to modern BMX geo. Gods they're beautiful though. I ride mine to the barber only lol, but it fits my short daughter who likes to borrow it so it comes off the wall pretty often.

Wanted a factory Kuwahara since forever. Bought a p.o.s. Apollo from a bike shop in Westview shopping center with my life savings of $360 when I was a kid. Centered my life around it, like a lot of us did probably. Actually just sold it few months ago for $150.

@Rnavel you need one of these to start balancing out the collection:

https://www.kuwahara-bike.com/kuwahara-bike-frame-int

https://www.flitebmx.com/pages/kuwahara

After that purchase there are 129 other bikes on the must-have list. In the MTB category. Then on to the next 78 different categories with lists within each. 

Of course the list resets every year and must be repurchased in slightly different configurations.

March 23, 2023, 4:40 a.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

One of the Caches, one of the trail bikes and one of the enduro bikes? Maybe keep the hardtail as a backup backup :)

It looks like you dont like the stock ride of the Druid if you are putting a -1.5 angleset on it, so I would say you could part with that. A Druid with a 64 degree head angle seems kind of out of scope for me. That is Dreadnought territory. You seem to have a soft spot for Banshee, so if it were me Id say it would be easier to let go of the Chilcotin than the Titan especially since you have only had the Chilcotin for a couple of months.

Spring is the best time to sell bikes, but used bike prices are dropping quickly, so I would unload them ASAP to get your best buck out of them.

Nice.

March 23, 2023, 8:12 a.m.

Thanks for all of the great comments so far, and the various perspectives... jury is still out. I'll update the thread once something is up for sale.

March 23, 2023, 8:32 a.m.

Since I've been riding with you lately, and didn't realize this was you at first, I need to chime in...

Didn't you JUST get your Druid, and you're already considering getting rid of it? I do recall asking about the potential overlap, and you replying "yeah but the Druid is so cool", so I'm not overly shocked here. But I think you need to give it a few weeks before deciding which mid-travel bike to cull off.

Last edited by: mammal on March 23, 2023, 8:32 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 23, 2023, 9:39 a.m.

Unless you need the cash or the space I'd say hold on to all the bikes you can, it's not a great time to sell and it's gonna get harder as bike shops try to dump overstock for cheap. 

If you need to sell, the clear redundancy is the road/gravel bikes, driud/prime, and titan/chilcotin, so I'd say pick your favourite from each category and run with it.  And if you never ride your hardtail and can't envision yourself riding it then sell that too.  Or just build a storage shed and start your bike museum!

March 23, 2023, 9:58 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Kuwahara factory is still turning them out. I bought mine from some fixie shop in California couple years ago. Full original 80's repop except with functional v brakes instead of cosmetic u. 

Btw, these bikes are terrible to ride. Quill stems makes front ends super tall, and bars had loads of sweep. Combined with 80's short top tubes and weird angles it's just a crap BMX compared to modern BMX geo. Gods they're beautiful though. I ride mine to the barber only lol, but it fits my short daughter who likes to borrow it so it comes off the wall pretty often.

Wanted a factory Kuwahara since forever. Bought a p.o.s. Apollo from a bike shop in Westview shopping center with my life savings of $360 when I was a kid. Centered my life around it, like a lot of us did probably. Actually just sold it few months ago for $150.

@Rnavel you need one of these to start balancing out the collection:

https://www.kuwahara-bike.com/kuwahara-bike-frame-int

https://www.flitebmx.com/pages/kuwahara

After that purchase there are 129 other bikes on the must-have list. In the MTB category. Then on to the next 78 different categories with lists within each. 

Of course the list resets every year and must be repurchased in slightly different configurations.

Holy shit that red/white ET 40 brings me back, I had something a lot like that, with red and white checker pads. 

I did a LOT of skids around BC Parks campgrounds on that thing…

Really tempted by the lighting pad sets, those are cool as eff.

March 23, 2023, 1:42 p.m.

Posted by: mammal

Since I've been riding with you lately, and didn't realize this was you at first, I need to chime in...

Didn't you JUST get your Druid, and you're already considering getting rid of it? I do recall asking about the potential overlap, and you replying "yeah but the Druid is so cool", so I'm not overly shocked here. But I think you need to give it a few weeks before deciding which mid-travel bike to cull off.

Dude, hahaha, Zach is such a connector of people. I didn't say that I was selling it, just curious about the general feeling out there. Did you get the serviced Dorado back or is it still being worked on?

Last edited by: rnayel on March 23, 2023, 1:44 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 23, 2023, 1:48 p.m.

Posted by: Kever

Unless you need the cash or the space I'd say hold on to all the bikes you can, it's not a great time to sell and it's gonna get harder as bike shops try to dump overstock for cheap. 

If you need to sell, the clear redundancy is the road/gravel bikes, druid/prime, and titan/chilcotin, so I'd say pick your favourite from each category and run with it.  And if you never ride your hardtail and can't envision yourself riding it then sell that too.  Or just build a storage shed and start your bike museum!

That's my feeling as well. Until my wife really starts complaining, I'm thinking of holding on to everything. Fortunately, except for the Gravel build cache which I bought in my middle of the pandemic, I was able to take advantage of sales for every one of those bikes, so my input cost wasn't as dramatic as buying a Carbon super-bike (think s-works or CC Santa Cruz) in the middle of a pandemic.

March 23, 2023, 6:55 p.m.

Posted by: rnayel

Posted by: mammal

Dude, hahaha, Zach is such a connector of people. I didn't say that I was selling it, just curious about the general feeling out there. Did you get the serviced Dorado back or is it still being worked on?

Dorado is now next-level-status, thanks for asking. I'm interested that you're interested in the general public feeling, but by all means, nothing wrong with that. Give the new bike some time, and then try to be honest which bikes bring most joy and fill the most needs.

Last edited by: mammal on March 23, 2023, 6:56 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Reason: SPELLING
March 29, 2023, 10:05 p.m.

Damn the kuwaharas are awesome. Super nostalgic. 

And how sexy is this? Shitdamn.

March 30, 2023, 9:54 a.m.

I'm thinking there will not be much of  a discount on a 20K + Pinerello Dogma

but Supply has caught up, it might be a bad time to be selling a used bike

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bike-stock-boom-1.6795136