NSMB Forum Testing: DT Swiss E 1700 Spline Two 27.5" & 29" Wheels

Dec. 20, 2015, 11:49 a.m.

To be fair, replacement of this inboard bearing is not a frequent service. I have a 5 year old 440 hub on my DH bike that sees plenty of abuse (lots more than my trail bike anyway), and I've only had to replace that bearing once so far. Of all the rear hubs I've used, the DT system is by far the most reliable. But big-ted is right - replacement of the hub bearings is a pain, and you need a special tool to do it. The way I see it, going through a pain-in-the-ass bearing replacement every few years is easily worth the peace of mind knowing that my freehub body won't self-destruct in the middle of a Whistler day.

Dec. 20, 2015, 8:14 p.m.

Yeah and realistically you will replace the wheelset before then anyway

Dec. 20, 2015, 11:36 p.m.

Nope. I have the same wheelset as Ryan on a DT 440FR hub. I've put new bearings in it three times in the same period, and it's made me want to inflict harm on inanimate objects every. Single. Time.

I know I'm a stuck record on this point, but it adds nothing to the hub's performance. Other hub manufacturers make products without this hassle that work perfectly well. DT sell these as a high-end product and should do better.

Dec. 21, 2015, 7:53 a.m.

Nope. I have the same wheelset as Ryan on a DT 440FR hub. I've put new bearings in it three times in the same period, and it's made me want to inflict harm on inanimate objects every. Single. Time.

I know I'm a stuck record on this point, but it adds nothing to the hub's performance. Other hub manufacturers make products without this hassle that work perfectly well. DT sell these as a high-end product and should do better.

Totally agree. Any high-end product developed without relatively straightforward maintenance in mind is a poor design. Engineers know better ( I think?) And you shouldn't need obscure, proprietary tools to perform basic maintenance. Clearly this isn't the case with some hub manufacturers.

Dec. 21, 2015, 9:10 a.m.

big-ted: you're not installing said bearings with a sledgehammer, are you? :lol:

Jan. 8, 2016, 10:12 a.m.

Well i won't be able to put any more miles on the wheels for a bit now…seperated shoulder :dead:

Jan. 8, 2016, 7:56 p.m.

Oh man, that sucks! Biking accident? I'm surprised if you can ride at all in Whistler right now.

I'm putting more miles on my board right now, but still managing to get a few rides in here and there :)

Jan. 8, 2016, 9:14 p.m.

No, skiing. Havn't been able to ride here in weeks