NSMB Forum Testing: DT Swiss E 1700 Spline Two 27.5" & 29" Wheels

June 3, 2015, 9:50 a.m.

NSMB Forum Testing Program: DT Swiss E 1700 Spline Two 27.5/29" Wheels

At NSMB we put a lot of time and effort into gear testing. We aim to present balanced, thoughtful opinions, and try to eliminate bias in order to deliver valuable insight to the readership. However we also have found our occasional forum testing projects to be informative and useful, so once again we're giving the chance to you, the NSMB community, the chance to participate in product testing.

For this test we have teamed up with DT Swiss Wheels. Their E 1700 Spline Two Wheelsets are intended for AM/Enduro, feature a lot of technology, and weigh a respectable 1,840g given their reasonable price tag of $850 USD. In other words, this is a quality wheelset that is within reach for someone who doesn't look into people's mouths all day for a living. But what we want to know is how they'll work for you.

How to be considered

Answer the questions below to be considered as a tester. Please have an answer to all questions and be specific.

1. What wheels do you currently use?

2. Have you had any experience with DT Swiss wheels?

3. Have you had problems with spoke or hubs breaking? Other wheelset issues?

4. Have you ever tried tubeless?

5. Have you ever bought a wheelset, or do you usually run what comes on the bike you have?

6. Do you own a bike with 27.5 or 29" wheels?

7. Where do you live and ride?

8. Most importantly: Provide an example of a 'gear shots' style review: select any component (new or old, whether you own it or not) and provide a short review (~300 words), making sure to cover things like performance, design, value, durability, etc. Your gear shots review can be a combination of words, photos, and video - just make sure you give us an idea of your ability to do the job. Things like spelling and grammar count, as well as the quality of the photos and video. They don't have to be 'bangers' but take a bit of time and make your content compelling and informative.

You must be able to test the wheels (27.5 or 29) and update your test findings on a regular basis - a minimum would be three rides rides and at least one check-in to the thread per week, but updates can include answering questions that other BB members have, or posting photos/video of the test product in action, or a few fresh words to describe how you're getting along with your review product. That is the minimum. Remember that we will consider your past review contributions when picking testers for future reviews. Also, you're allowed to have fun with this. Testing product should be thoughtful and considered, but if you know anything about us here at NSMB, it's that we can also appreciate humour and having a good time. So don't be afraid to let a little character creep into your posts.

The deadline is 12:00 midnight PDT on Sunday, June 14th. Three BB Members will be selected to participate. At the end of the testing period, the rest of the BB will vote on the best/most useful reviewer. The winner of that vote will be able to keep their wheels once the review period is over. To participate, you must be a currently active BB member or become one - it won't be held against you if you're new to the community, as long as we can see that you are being active. 'Active' means you have made a minimum of 20 posts in the last month.

Remember: if you are not chosen this time, there will be plenty of opportunities for future product tests (we have another one coming up soon).

You can find out more about the DT Swiss E 1700 Spline wheels here.

June 3, 2015, 12:27 p.m.

1. I use Spank Oozy Evo aluminum rims on Hope hubs. Built them myself using DT Swiss Competition spokes.

2. No experience with DT Swiss other than spokes.

3. I rarely have wheel issues other than small dings and wobbles.

4. I have been riding tubeless exclusively since 2002.

5. I have bought many wheelsets in 20 years of riding and racing bikes, both custom and factory built.

6. My current bike is an Xprezo Adhoc 27.5"

7. Gear reviews:
http://factionsk8.blogspot.ca/2014/06/bike-test-xprezo-adhoc.html
http://factionsk8.blogspot.ca/2014/05/review-real-world-cycling-shock-needle.html
http://factionsk8.blogspot.ca/2015/01/first-ride-xprezo-grosbig.html

I currently race enduro, as well as an occasional downhill race, all on my Adhoc. I ride approximately 4-5 times per week. I live in Kamloops, BC and ride there mostly. However I do race throughout the interior.

I have also been a tester/designer for a well known tire brand.

Let me know if you would like to know more.

June 3, 2015, 12:57 p.m.

This is a great initiative NSMB. Let the peons do some reviewing and see how challenging it can be.

Unfortunately, I'm on wagon wheels, so I'm out.

June 3, 2015, 1:13 p.m.

Lowcard: Thanks for throwing your hat in the ring. I just added a question - Where do you live and ride? If you could add that answer to your post, that would be great.

Taz123: don't worry, there will be other opportunities.

June 3, 2015, 1:16 p.m.

is the rim width specified anywhere? i don't see it on dt's site.

June 3, 2015, 1:21 p.m.

iirc all of their "E(nduro)" wheels have a 25mm internal rim width ("M(ountain)" is 22mm, "X(country)" is 20mm)

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 3, 2015, 2:28 p.m.

Lowcard: Thanks for throwing your hat in the ring. I just added a question - Where do you live and ride? If you could add that answer to your post, that would be great.

Taz123: don't worry, there will be other opportunities.

Beautiful Kamloops, BC. Edited text.

June 3, 2015, 3:15 p.m.

Booo - discriminating against the 29er crowd….

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

June 3, 2015, 3:29 p.m.

Well - you do want to buy a new 650B super bike? What better reason??

My blog - read it!

June 3, 2015, 3:29 p.m.

Well - you do want to buy a new 650B super bike? What better reason??

Ya - but I have to help pay for the addition on the new house, and I only just sorted out the debt from the first wife….what a dilemma…

My blog - read it!

June 3, 2015, 3:30 p.m.

Ya - but I have to help pay for the addition on the new house, and I only just sorted out the debt from the first wife….what a dilemma…

JUST DO IT! You did just move around the corner from your LBS after all…

My blog - read it!

June 3, 2015, 3:58 p.m.

JUST DO IT! You did just move around the corner from your LBS after all…

Ah, the voice of reason wins the day.

June 3, 2015, 4:16 p.m.

26 4 life beotches! ;)

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

June 3, 2015, 6:41 p.m.

1. What wheels do you currently use?
stock on a 2015 Giant Reign 2

2. Have you had any experience with DT Swiss wheels?
nope

3. Have you had problems with spoke or hubs breaking? Other wheelset issues?
nope

4. Have you ever tried tubeless?
tubeless only

5. Have you ever bought a wheelset, or do you usually run what comes on the bike you have?
eyeing the Roval Traverse SL Fattie

6. Do you own a bike with 27.5" wheels?
yes 2014 Giant Trance 3 and 2015 Giant Reign 2

7. Where do you live and ride?
Vancouver, BC
Mount Fromme, SFU, and Whistler

June 3, 2015, 8:04 p.m.

what about us 26" guys .

and what is a BB member ???

#northsidetrailbuilders