NSMB Forum test: Ryders Shore goggle

June 12, 2013, 4:30 p.m.

who did you get the IXS thru ?? they have some pads i want to check out but have not found a local source

Trail Bicycles in Courtenay who get them through NRG (Nelson yo!)

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

June 13, 2013, 10:39 p.m.

OK - RIDE UPDATE!

Got out on the Scythe yesterday, and I have to say it was ideal goggle testing conditions.

• It was one of my first rides of the year, so I am not very fit and thus sweated far more profusely than normal.
  • It had just rained, but was still quite warm, thus making for muddy, humid conditions.
  • I was riding my DH Scythe, with my brand new full face, in a group of people with new-ish all mountainy bikes and small hats.
  • We ended up, despite shuttling, riding a very XC-ish route.

Even with all that, the only time the goggles actually fogged up was when I put them down on a log during a rest. By that time the foam was quite liberally soaked with my sweat, so it isn't too surprising. I simply wiped them off, and kept going.

See - I DO ride bikes!

Fortunately I wasn't the only person in the group with a full face on. I was the only person in the group with a 888 and an angleset to rake it out!!

Overall, I was quite astounded by the goggles ability to stay fog free. Considering the humidity, the amount of moisture I was producing, my heavy breathing, and how hot I must have been….well. With any other pair of goggles they would have been in the back-pack within 20 minutes.

I am looking forward to trying some different lenses. The clear lense doesn't do much for you in the sunshine.

My blog - read it!

June 14, 2013, 1:07 a.m.

With any other pair of goggles they would have been in the back-pack within 20 minutes.

Having the exact same positive results with my Shore pair. I've put them on and they've stayed on.

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

June 19, 2013, 12:31 p.m.

Curious to see how the new lenses are!

June 19, 2013, 3:33 p.m.

The new lenses have arrived. I received the "chrome mirror lense" and the "phtocromatic amber". Here are a couple of pictures:

Clear lens shown on the left for comparison. The tinted lenses don't have tear away mounts, which makes sense.

Here's the view through the amber - it seems to amplify light in the same way the yellow lens for my Oakley winter goggles does:

Guess which lens this is looking through?

It's the mirrored lens. The clear lens looked the same. However, in bright sun I am sure the mirror lens would be more comfortable.

Lens changeover was simple and painless. Pop out the current lens, fiddle / squeeze and press in the new one. Wipe of fingerprints. Ride!

Will be heading out to ride tonight with the amber lens on and I will report back later.

My blog - read it!

June 20, 2013, 9:07 a.m.

I was in Ottawa the past several days for work and found that renting a bike and cruising up and down the Rideau canal is not sufficient for goggle testing, so I left them at home.

When I did get home, I arrived to two (2) new lenses and a lovely t-shirt for the Mrs. A wee bit large, but I can shrink anything. Thanks Ryders.

I got the same yellow photo-chromo lens as Rewoga did, but instead of the mirror, I received this lens:

Lots of riding coming up in the next two weeks. If the forecast improves, at least Sunday will be at SS.

June 20, 2013, 4:26 p.m.

Rode with the amber photo-chromatic lens last night.

Did a more downhill shuttle run on Forbidden plateau. The weather looked like it would be mixed sun and cloud, but it ended up being fully cloudy with rain, so I didn't get to flash in and out of sunlit patches of trail to fully assess the lenses potential.

It was very humid, and as it is still early season for me I again sweated profusely. No significant fogging occurred, and the Shore goggles again kept the mud and rain out of my eyes.

One odd thing with the lens - every now and then a certain part of the landscape would get a sort of sepia "sheen" on it. Typically a wet slab of rock at a certain angle, or a puddle of a certain depth. It was like seeing the world partially photo-shopped. I will do some research about this and report back. Just something to get used too and not be distracted by for the most part.

My blog - read it!

June 20, 2013, 5:56 p.m.

So are local stores going to stock the different lenses,or just order from the web site?

June 21, 2013, 8:57 a.m.

So are local stores going to stock the different lenses,or just order from the web site?

When I asked the rep, she said local stores would be stocking the lenses, which are just now available. If not, you can order directly. The photo-chromatic lenses will be $59.99 and the mirrored/tinted lenses will be $29.99.

The one pictured in my post, which I received is called "mirror green" and looks pretty cool under my Urge helmet. Now I hope I can perform to match. I'm very curious to see how the mirror coating endures dust and abrasion and wiping off filth. I was pleased to see that the more expensive photo-chromatic has yellow as a base tint and is not mirrored.

June 25, 2013, 12:48 p.m.

The goggles have had alot of use lately in really varied weather conditions.

Clear Lens update:

I have used the clear lens that came stock extensively with no undue results or apt failures in the performance or clarity spectrum of lensosity. Biggest of all is no distortion on the edges at the curvature or looking out the top of the lenses on steep terrain. Meaning, the clear lens worked very well in all conditions that one would expect a clear lens to work well in. Which really means, all but bright glaring sun.

Photo-Chromatic Lens report:

When the new lenses arrived, I immediately hopped up my kit with the photo-chromatic lens with the base yellow tint. Mated with my Black Urge helmet, in the sunlight, I was looking pretty shady in black with the lenses appearing quite dark to the external viewer. Inside, where my eyes were, visibility in bright light was great, with good perception and definition of trail details, and not overly dark at all (actually, I was surprised how dark they "looked" when I took them off and viewed them from the front side).

I rode the lenses on a showery Thursday and Friday on Burnaby Mtn (because who doesn't where goggles on Burnaby????) and on Burke. I fully expected to remove the lens and replace with the clear, and had the clear in my pack. Needless to say, a week later, and the photo-chromo lens is still affixed to the goggles. I don't notice only nominal changing in lighting when I am riding, which means they must be doing their job. I don't really understand how they can react from dark to light to spotty to dark in a trail situation, but I don't have blindingly bright moments followed by deathly hallows dark moments of horror while they lighten up… it's just a steady gradient of perhaps 30% yellowish tint. Only in the dankest of woods on Burke did I think I'd be happier with the true clear. Fortunately the tint is yellow and not grey, so even when a bit dark, it's a happy dark.

Opening weekend of Silver Star rolled around and the family road-tripped out there. We arrived late Saturday and were ready for Sunday. It rained all day Saturday, so we timed it well, with a mix of sun and cloud and two rain showers during the course of the day. Great riding weather and good photo-chromatic goggle testing weather with constantly changing light conditions between both trail transitions and weather transitions. Again, I thought by mid-day I'd be changing to the clear lens, especially given that singletrack trails like Double Dog, Flow, and Dag's Downhill were riding so incredibly well - tacky early season loam and buffness. Alas, by the end of the day, the photo-chromo lenses were still installed.

I don't have any "look at me" aggro images from Silver Star as the Mrs and I would split off runs from the kids to hit the black and double black trails solo. So any photo's are largely on the blue runs having fun with the kids (although they also slayed Double Dog and Flow). Beggar's can be chooser's and good times are good times.

Monday we rolled outta' Silver Star and hit Merritt on the way home and I did a double lap in mostly dry cloudy conditions, with one lap up Too Much Info and then down Ridge Trail, and the one more short lap up Too Much Info and down Ursa Major. This is where the photo-chromatic lenses were great as Ridge is pretty wide open and bright, and Ursa Major runs up and down a dense forested natural half-pipe. I don't recall any odd lighting moments during either ride. And as reported throughout this thread, no fogging despite steamy weather.

Durability:

Frames - no issues and still running strong

Straps - finally had to tighten them up a bit at Silver Star, meaning they were stretching out a bit… that seems normal on any goggles I've had in the past. But even when loose, they stayed up due to the silicon gripper along the inside

Lenses - both clear and photo-chromatic have seen significant mud-splattering and drying. I've always just moistened with water from my hydration hose and wiped with the provided goggle case and no significant scratching is noticeable to date. For sure some light scratches from mid-run goggle wipes of mud but nothing visible through the lenses - and this was done ALOT on_ Rock Star_ and World Cup at Silver Star due to standing water in landing areas.

June 25, 2013, 10:58 p.m.

I must apologize for my posting hiatus. Camera and computer issues have made any multi-media posts difficult.

I received the green mirrored lens and the photo-chromatic lens. The green reflective lens is rather interesting in that when you first look through the lens you see a slight yellow green tint in one eye and a slight red in the other eye. After wearing the goggles for a few minutes the tint appears slightly yellow.

I have yet to be able to test the photo-chromatic lens in its proper element (sunny weather) so I will hold off on comments about this lens.

I am having a hard time finding something bad/negative to say about these goggles. They are performing almost flawlessly so the negatives are really hard to come by.

If anything I'd say that given the specialized construction of the lenses (double lenses) and the cost of the specialized lenses ($20-59) Ryders should think about making a case to safely store the extra lenses. The lenses don't lay flat like other brands of lenses. Ryders lenses are curved and the specialty lenses cost as much as a new set of goggles. A cool case of some sort to safely store the specialty lenses would go a long way to keep these optical gems in good shape from season to season.

Another suggestion I'd make is to provide a true microfiber cloth with the lenses (especially the mirrored lenses). When changing from the clear lens to the mirrored lens my finger touched the lens face. My finger oil left a mark that took several minutes to remove using the goggle bag to buff it off. I then purposely put another print on the lens and used a microfiber cloth that removed the fingerprint in no time at all.

I am super impressed and can't wait for some decent weather to give the photo-chromatic lens a good try.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

June 29, 2013, 7:02 p.m.

Who has them available locally?

Kinetik Cycles in Burnaby has them in stock all the colors, white, green, blue, orange.
$55

Newer bike shop/store near BBY mountain on Coquitlam side of the boarder road, North road [HTML_REMOVED] Como lake.

http://www.kinetikcycles.com/

Live to ride another day, Keep it safe :]

June 30, 2013, 6:41 a.m.

Kinetik Cycles in Burnaby has them in stock all the colors, white, green, blue, orange.
$55

Newer bike shop/store near BBY mountain on Coquitlam side of the boarder road, North road [HTML_REMOVED] Como lake.

http://www.kinetikcycles.com/

Are they stocking the lenses?

June 30, 2013, 10:29 a.m.

tried riding with my single lense Bangers yesterday on Knob Gobbler on Sumas , was not worth the effort even with the heat of the day the goggles wanted to fog up really bad on the slower sections and climbs , i don,t think being covered in sweat helped i will have to get some double lenses and try again , one issue i,m finding is some stores may stock goggles but won,t stock lenses i did order some thru a local shop but never got a call back , time to hunt them down i guess .

on another note anyone know if Ryders does prescription lenses for their Sunglass,s and clear lense riding glasses ?

#northsidetrailbuilders

July 3, 2013, 3:21 p.m.

I put two more WBP days on the goggles on Monday and Tuesday in very hot conditions and bright sunlight. I left the photochromatic lenses in full time.

The good:

1. The lenses have continued to resist scratching as well as can be expected with the gloved hand on and off of chairlift riding and heat.

2. The strap has undergone little stretching and the foam/face gasket is still as good as new.

3. The goggles have still had no fogging, despite immense perspiration this week.

4. In full sun and mixed light conditions, the photochromatic rules. My eyes suffered very little fatigue from glare or sun over the last two days in the park.

The bad:

1. White goggles straps is questionable.

2. In really sudden super-bright to super-dark, the photo-chromatic can take as much as 10 seconds for a shift to truly good low-light visibility. This is not long, but when travelling at high speed on familiar terrain, it is momentarily disconcerting. The best example is going from Upper A-Line, immediately across the service road into Ninja Cougar. That forest is really dense and those first three or four bermy turns was dark to the point of providing some nervousness. After they adjusted they were brilliant. Going from something like Blue Velvet with dappled sun and shade into In Deep was less tenuous as the lenses are on some spectrum of being in the "middle" of their photo-chromatic range, so the adjustment is quick and less noticeable. It's only the full bright to full shade that is sketchy.

The reality:

Two days in a row in same conditions, I still left the photo-chromatic in. Overall, the ability to protect my eyes from the searing sunlight and overall good low-light performance with moments of chaos was a better option than a) clear lenses all day in the sun; or b) shaded lenses all day in the trees.

If I were on a pin-it-to-win-it run that went from bright to dark to bright, I'd likely just go clear lens. But for all day balance, and the desire not to have a headache and burned retina's, I like the photo-chromo.

Shots of the face in action:

No Joke:

Triple Hump:

Mackenzie River:

A-Line from those guys that stand in the trees: