NSMB - 2023 - Hardtails Leaning Against Stuff Thread

March 18, 2023, 8:11 a.m.

Esd

Getting torn down next week to build a squishy bike so here she is for posterity

Last edited by: boomforeal on March 18, 2023, 8:17 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 18, 2023, 3:54 p.m.

Posted by: boomforeal

Esd

Getting torn down next week to build a squishy bike so here she is for posterity

Got enough spares for a SS rigid experiment? It's traditional by now.

March 18, 2023, 7:38 p.m.

Esd

My Doctahawk met the same fate for now at least.

March 19, 2023, 1:22 a.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

Esd

My Doctahawk met the same fate for now at least.

As the Swedes say you're "swearing in the church" right now, the Hardtail Gods will be very unpleased ;)

March 19, 2023, 10:31 a.m.

Esd

Dang, that thing cuts a sweet profile. Want.

March 19, 2023, 3:35 p.m.

So I had a wolftooth geoshift -2 installed in my og rootdown. 

Game changer.  Min maxing. No negatives for me.

March 19, 2023, 3:37 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Esd

Dang, that thing cuts a sweet profile. Want.

Shwing

March 20, 2023, 12:32 a.m.

The trails around here are finally starting to dry out, so I'm taking the Stooge out for some more Stoogin'. Turned a downed tree into a feature with a few minutes' work, and found out that I need a bash guard if I'm going to be doing dumb stuff on this bike.

I confess I am tempted to swap her over to flat bars. Not that I feel the drops are holding me back, but that it would rip even harder on flats. I think it would be about $200 - shifter, brake levers, bars, grips, maybe a new stem.

March 20, 2023, 2:13 a.m.

Posted by: TristanC

The trails around here are finally starting to dry out, so I'm taking the Stooge out for some more Stoogin'. Turned a downed tree into a feature with a few minutes' work, and found out that I need a bash guard if I'm going to be doing dumb stuff on this bike.

I confess I am tempted to swap her over to flat bars. Not that I feel the drops are holding me back, but that it would rip even harder on flats. I think it would be about $200 - shifter, brake levers, bars, grips, maybe a new stem.

The flat bar thing sounds good.  Putting drops on my Krampus makes it feel like a new bike therefore it's going to be same going the other way.

PS that looks like a lovely bit of trail.

March 20, 2023, 11:24 a.m.

that is a sweet bit of trail

March 20, 2023, 7:39 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Well, it does have sliders. But the bb is pretty low; I’d need a rigid fork with a ~540mm a2c

March 21, 2023, 12:21 a.m.

Well, it does have sliders. But the bb is pretty low; I’d need a rigid fork with a ~540mm a2c

Or shorter cranks?

March 21, 2023, 3:51 a.m.

Or shorter cranks?

I've looked into this a bit, Waltworks seems like the only option I've found. Gets expensive quick and makes more sense to find a used fox 36/lyrik/etc. instead.

Using a 510/500 a2c rigid fork on the honzo has the more unfortunate effect of steepening the seat angle into close to unrideable territory on anything except straight up and down.

Last edited by: Flatted-again on March 21, 2023, 3:51 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 21, 2023, 3 p.m.

Posted by: Flatted-again

Or shorter cranks?

I've looked into this a bit, Waltworks seems like the only option I've found. Gets expensive quick and makes more sense to find a used fox 36/lyrik/etc. instead.

Using a 510/500 a2c rigid fork on the honzo has the more unfortunate effect of steepening the seat angle into close to unrideable territory on anything except straight up and down.

Here's an extra 10mm:

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/wolf-tooth-lower-headset-cup-extender-zs-zero-stack

March 21, 2023, 5:58 p.m.

Posted by: Tremeer023

Posted by: Flatted-again

Or shorter cranks?

Here's an extra 10mm:

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/wolf-tooth-lower-headset-cup-extender-zs-zero-stack

Stack four of those and a whisky LT fork and boom! 540 a2c!