NSMB - 2023 - Hardtails Leaning Against Stuff Thread

March 8, 2023, 11:56 a.m.

The few times I've ridden solo in Grizzly country I have been one loud mofo.

Speaking of which, where's the best place to carry bear-spray?  Might be heading up to Canmore, Banff area.  I've generally kept it in a side pocket of my pack but maybe there's a better way.

March 8, 2023, 12:05 p.m.

any location that won't get separated from you

March 8, 2023, 12:30 p.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

Speaking of which, where's the best place to carry bear-spray?  Might be heading up to Canmore, Banff area.  I've generally kept it in a side pocket of my pack but maybe there's a better way.

It's odd, in Alberta I see everyone with bear spray. In BC few people.

Wherever you can get to the bear spray fast is the best bet, and where you're not likely to be separated from it. 

Water bottle cage could be a decent spot, unless you think you're likely to be away from it. The Scat reverse fanny pack style carriers might be the best overall choice, unless you tend to fall on that area a lot. Handlebar mounts can be problematic for crash reasons and an accidental deployment. Side pocket of a Camelbak (as you're thinking) can be a good and protected, but fast enough spot. I also like ski strap to my top tube, but that depends on the shape of your bike as well.

Plenty of grizz activity in/around Banff and Canmore - but since they're well frequented areas, there's also typically good reporting available. I find that at least as reassuring as bear spray. For instance if you're riding Lower Stoney in Banff there are a ton of signs at the best of times about making lots of noise for bears, let alone when there are active sightings (national park and all).

March 8, 2023, 12:50 p.m.

I've never had a coil fork so I'm not sure if I'd like it or not.  I like the idea of the small bump sensitivity and the low maintenance.  Not sure how I'd get on with the more linear mid-stroke as I'm pretty used to the progressiveness of air.  But without trying I'll never know. 

Will look into smashpot.  Sounds like a cool option.

I love my Ohlins 36 coil.  I wouldn't go back.

I listened to a Kris Keefer MX Podcast (may have been a Gypsy Tales) and one of the take-away was to get rid of your air springs and get coils in your forks.

March 8, 2023, 1:19 p.m.

Increasingly tempted by the Z1 coil.  However!  I am a mostly "BC xc" type of rider and enjoy the climbs (at least when I'm in half decent shape) as much as anything.  I don't think I fall into the Z1 coil typical user spectrum.  That said, I'm not racing and it's all about improving my fitness and having fun.  They come stock with the blue medium spring don't they?  So I'd need to buy a green firm spring as well, especially as I would change travel to 150mm

March 8, 2023, 1:22 p.m.

Posted by: pylag

Oh, and a little backyard lean before dinner yesterday :-)

Balance bike

Rad skinny for the mini.

March 8, 2023, 2:10 p.m.

I have a water bottle adaptor for my spray. It goes around the bear spray canister so it’s right there on the frame. I was bluff charged twice last summer by a sow with cubs. And when I ride in Fernie I’ve seen grizzly tracks and there was one in our yard too. Every person there seems to have spray. It needs to be handy. Some riders have a Fanny pack affair. I will also use the bottle holder on a Fanny pack and some packs have a shoulder strap pocket that will fit a canister.

March 8, 2023, 3:06 p.m.

Increasingly tempted by the Z1 coil. However! I am a mostly "BC xc" type of rider and enjoy the climbs (at least when I'm in half decent shape) as much as anything. I don't think I fall into the Z1 coil typical user spectrum. That said, I'm not racing and it's all about improving my fitness and having fun. They come stock with the blue medium spring don't they? So I'd need to buy a green firm spring as well, especially as I would change travel to 150mm

I'm 80kg on a 150mm Z1 and the green firm spring feels perfect to me.

Last edited by: Tremeer023 on March 8, 2023, 3:07 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 8, 2023, 3:46 p.m.

Good to know.  I am traditionally around 80 kg although I seem to have crept up to 88 kg....  I would most likely need the green coil.  Hmm...I'm liking the idea of a simple fork I could conceivably maintain myself.

March 8, 2023, 11:40 p.m.

I do ultra endurance rides in black bear/cougar/moose country, and I sing sea shanties to make critters aware of me/keep myself awake. They don't require much singing ability and they're catchy.

I wear a running hydration vest, there's a handy pocket on the front that is bear-spray-sized.

March 9, 2023, 4:34 a.m.

Hardtail leaning against the kitchen cupboards...yeah sorry...hopefully we will get it out and lean it against something more natural at the weekend...

The bigger kid's frame turned up yesterday and we spent the evening doing a frame swap.

Frame: Cotic BFeMax Medium

Fork: RS Pike RCT3 140mm

Headset: Cane Creek 40

Stem: Brand-X 35mm long

Bar: Chromag OSX @780mm (They are my old spare set for him to have a play with the width, he's like me long body high ape index)

Grips: Brand-X Half Waffle

Saddle: Chromag Trailmaster (my old one for him to see how he gets on with the shape)

Post: Brand-X Ascend 125mm External (will be upgraded to a 150/170mm drop internal at an opportune moment)

Wheels: Hope Pro-II hubs  (rear converted to boost), Stans Flow 25mm internal version.

Tyres: On-One Chunky Monkey 2.4 and Onza Ibex 2.25 (rear tyre will need to be changed to something bigger/tougher before the summer)

Brakes: Old Deore 2 Pot with 180mm rotors (I have some brand new Tektro Orion 4 Pots from the spares bin to fit at some point)

Cranks: Deore 170mm w/ 30T ring

Cassette: XT 11 Speed

Chain: XT 11 Speed

Shifter: SLX

Mech: SLX

Pedals: DMR Vault

It's weighing in at a very reasonable 14.3kg/31.5lbs inc pedals.

He's stoked!

March 9, 2023, 4:56 a.m.

First Kitchen Lean - good skills.

Nice build.

March 9, 2023, 4:42 p.m.

Posted by: DanLees1978

Hardtail leaning against the kitchen cupboards...yeah sorry...hopefully we will get it out and lean it against something more natural at the weekend...

The bigger kid's frame turned up yesterday and we spent the evening doing a frame swap.

Frame: Cotic BFeMax Medium

Fork: RS Pike RCT3 140mm

Headset: Cane Creek 40

Stem: Brand-X 35mm long

Bar: Chromag OSX @780mm (They are my old spare set for him to have a play with the width, he's like me long body high ape index)

Grips: Brand-X Half Waffle

Saddle: Chromag Trailmaster (my old one for him to see how he gets on with the shape)

Post: Brand-X Ascend 125mm External (will be upgraded to a 150/170mm drop internal at an opportune moment)

Wheels: Hope Pro-II hubs  (rear converted to boost), Stans Flow 25mm internal version.

Tyres: On-One Chunky Monkey 2.4 and Onza Ibex 2.25 (rear tyre will need to be changed to something bigger/tougher before the summer)

Brakes: Old Deore 2 Pot with 180mm rotors (I have some brand new Tektro Orion 4 Pots from the spares bin to fit at some point)

Cranks: Deore 170mm w/ 30T ring

Cassette: XT 11 Speed

Chain: XT 11 Speed

Shifter: SLX

Mech: SLX

Pedals: DMR Vault

It's weighing in at a very reasonable 14.3kg/31.5lbs inc pedals.

He's stoked!

Lucky kid.  Adopt me!  Yeah I'm 55 but adopt me anyway bro?

March 10, 2023, 9:13 p.m.

Posted by: DanLees1978

That's an advanced manoeuvre; I'm not sure it'd fly in my house!

Managed to get out in the daylight today as we prepped for spring break.   The snow has melted down enough for a reasonable lap.  Should wash away entirely this weekend.

Lots of deer tracks in the snow; might be worth figuring out a cougar spray holster.  Although you never real hear of it being used for them.  Probably because they're on you before you know they're there?

March 11, 2023, 10:13 a.m.

The Scat belt style is generally my favorite, as I can always throw it on either with or without a pack (though I’m not a hip belt guy). Also, I feel very strongly that bear spray should always be on you, not on your bike, as it’s pretty easy to get separated from the bike in an animal encounter.