NSMB - 2023 - Hardtails Leaning Against Stuff Thread

March 6, 2023, 9:38 a.m.

Posted by: TristanC

Posted by: BC_Nuggets
 They weren't too concerned about the hitting that high bpm but said that it wasn't going to help my overall fitness because at that point you're going beyond where the effective range is.  They said I should be able to carry on a conversation at work out levels.  I admitted that I like to get to that point where I feel a bit dizzy and numb from the adrenaline.  They said I should dial it back as it doesn't help.

I've heard the "you should be able to carry out a conversation" thing for running, and I do not understand it. I run so I can keep my HR pegged at 165-170bpm for half an hour, that seems to be the sweet spot for training for me, and there's no way I can keep up a conversation during that.

I'm also 30, though, so that probably helps.

I wonder if they say that to limit liability?  I mean some people are out there with undiagnosed heart conditions so maybe it's a bit of a cover their ass sort of guideline.

March 6, 2023, 9:40 a.m.

Posted by: joseph-crabtree

Nearing 70 yrs old I use a HR monitor to see how my recovery is between hard efforts. If after 10 deep breaths my HR isn't below a certain point I take it easy and cruise the rest of the ride as that tells me I haven't fully recovered from yesterdays ride. It's a useful tool as long as your not obsessive about it.

Hey, that's a good guideline.  Will try that out.

March 6, 2023, 9:42 a.m.

I feel as if I've derailed this thread with the all the heart/fitness yammering.  I apologize.

MORE HARDTAILS PLEASE. :)

March 6, 2023, 10:29 a.m.

Posted by: TristanC

They weren't too concerned about the hitting that high bpm but said that it wasn't going to help my overall fitness because at that point you're going beyond where the effective range is.  They said I should be able to carry on a conversation at work out levels.  I admitted that I like to get to that point where I feel a bit dizzy and numb from the adrenaline.  They said I should dial it back as it doesn't help.

I've heard the "you should be able to carry out a conversation" thing for running, and I do not understand it. I run so I can keep my HR pegged at 165-170bpm for half an hour, that seems to be the sweet spot for training for me, and there's no way I can keep up a conversation during that.

I'm also 30, though, so that probably helps.

I wonder if they say that to limit liability?  I mean some people are out there with undiagnosed heart conditions so maybe it's a bit of a cover their ass sort of guideline.

While it might be liability but while undiagnosed heart conditions is concerning. I suspect exercise wise it is over hyped by the media who sensationalize a story about that one guy who does say a IM Triathlon and drowns in the swim due to a heart problem. Despite thousands that day who have nothing happen like that happen. 

Now the talk test is actually pretty interesting. Just learned in December where the basis of it is from and is centuries old.

March 6, 2023, 12:02 p.m.

Yup, talk test is legit, I use it almost everyday at work with new clients/patrons. But the talk test is for signaling the low end of the aerobic zone and is used for warm-ups or low level aerobic work, it corresponds to about 60-70% of max HR.

March 6, 2023, 2:38 p.m.

I'm reminded of a ride I did years back with a guy in better shape than me.  Dude's a talker anyway but we're climbing at a faster pace than I was prepared for, and I was pretty out of shape at that point too lol.  Anyway I'm talking back as best as I could but then realized ok I'm really struggling and not feeling great.  Stopped my bike and puked.  My heart was in my ears and I had the cold sweats.  After a few minutes sitting there and joking a bit we carried on at a more suitable pace for myself and it was a decent ride.  This was starting a fast (for me) climb with no real warm up so that might have been part of the problem.  I find I need at least 10 minutes of warming up at a moderate pace before climbing and pushing myself.  Not that dude tho.

March 6, 2023, 5:31 p.m.

Posted by: DanLees1978

He is quite excited and I've told him he'll be doing most of the build himself.

This is so good. I’ve taught my nephew and a friends kid to build wheels this way. They did all the work while I directed and supervised. Great way to learn. Your child will love it.

March 6, 2023, 5:46 p.m.

I'm reminded of a ride I did years back with a guy in better shape than me.  Dude's a talker anyway but we're climbing at a faster pace than I was prepared for, and I was pretty out of shape at that point too lol.  Anyway I'm talking back as best as I could but then realized ok I'm really struggling and not feeling great.  Stopped my bike and puked.  My heart was in my ears and I had the cold sweats.  After a few minutes sitting there and joking a bit we carried on at a more suitable pace for myself and it was a decent ride.  This was starting a fast (for me) climb with no real warm up so that might have been part of the problem.  I find I need at least 10 minutes of warming up at a moderate pace before climbing and pushing myself.  Not that dude tho.

I have a regular riding buddy who puts me in this position. 

Even after my required 10min warm up the best climbing pace is where he can chat, but I have to just grunt occasionally.

March 7, 2023, 8:49 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Even after my required 10min warm up the best climbing pace is where he can chat, but I have to just grunt occasionally.

Yeah, those bastards eh?  They seem to think it's funny.  Probably why I prefer solo rides. :)

March 7, 2023, 8:53 a.m.

So I want to get a new fork for my old Rootdown.  Don't want to spend too much.  Thinking Bomber Z1 150mm or maybe something from PinkBike classifieds (a new bike take-off) like a Lyrik Select or something.  Also thinking about the DVO Diamond D1 although reviews are such that people either love them or hate them.  I think with SuspensionWerx dealing/servicing them though it could be a good option.

March 7, 2023, 9:41 a.m.

Yeah, those bastards eh?  They seem to think it's funny.  Probably why I prefer solo rides. :)

Have chatted with a few riders who have given up on the current group ride concept where it always is a hurry and so on. As they all have said it almost always being go go and speed got old fast and was no longer fun. 

Interesting the fun thing as before moved to Kingston the rides in the Don Valley were group rides and it was fun. And we wanted to come out. Interestingly this matches stuff have been reading about this aspect.

March 7, 2023, 9:57 a.m.

Today on the Easy Repeatable Loop. 

Since talking of exercise and crap lie it.

Created it when was cleared to ride more outside back in November. Simple and easy 9-10km loop. Nothing special beyond meets Physio requirements. 

All focus on when doing it is cadence. Has a couple of hills and such. Nothing special. Just ensuring that it gets me out the door and enjoying riding. No stressing about HRM’ and other stuff. Interestingly results without actually trying have improved time wise despite not using any other tech beyond a GPS unit.

March 7, 2023, 12:59 p.m.

So I want to get a new fork for my old Rootdown.  Don't want to spend too much.  Thinking Bomber Z1 150mm or maybe something from PinkBike classifieds (a new bike take-off) like a Lyrik Select or something.  Also thinking about the DVO Diamond D1 although reviews are such that people either love them or hate them.  I think with SuspensionWerx dealing/servicing them though it could be a good option.

+1 for the Diamond, I'm in the love it camp.

March 7, 2023, 4:35 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Yup, talk test is legit, I use it almost everyday at work with new clients/patrons. But the talk test is for signaling the low end of the aerobic zone and is used for warm-ups or low level aerobic work, it corresponds to about 60-70% of max HR.

So I ride alone most of the time. But if I’m talking to myself and someone happens to see me….? After many years of participating in endurance type sports I know that going by feel is not good enough. Heart rate is a great tool though. If I can’t elevate my heart rate I’m probably tired. If my pulse doesn’t slow return a normal rate after a good effort, it may be time to go home or take a shorter route. But a rider needs to know or have good idea of what their individual max rate and anaerobic threshold is too. 220 minus your age might work, but it might be way off like it is for me. 

I bought a Garmin Fenix 6 watch recently to help me gauge how rested I am or aren’t. I’ve had in last couple years days where I am completely exhausted. Might be long Covid but it might just be the ageing process. After I had Covid though I would get those days every week. It has been getting better but not completely gone. A young friend of mine had that symptom too after covid.

March 7, 2023, 6 p.m.

+1 for the Diamond, I'm in the love it camp.

Z1 coil on my doctahawk. It's a solid fork for a good price. Especially as it used to be on my rootdown and only took a spacer change to go from 160 to 170. If you like coil, it's a great, easy to setup fork. Or you could go down the smashpot route if you get a good deal on a fork as you can get a service as part of the conversion.