NSMB - 2023 - Hardtails Leaning Against Stuff Thread

Feb. 17, 2023, 5:03 p.m.

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

I guess all three of these fit the bill!

I have an old Ted Wojcik t-shirt that I got at Interbike years and years ago. I'll see if I can find it.

Feb. 17, 2023, 7:53 p.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

Wow you folks have been extremely helpful.  Pylag that’s a great first post.  Cheers.

Sorry, didn't get a chance to get a photo and measurement of the Rootdown today. Got sidetracked all day. Will do it tomorrow morning.

Feb. 18, 2023, 8:03 a.m.

The Krammuter - awaiting cable disc brakes to arrive and compatible rear mech (Zee mechs don't seem to work with road shifters).

Feb. 18, 2023, 8:11 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

The Krammuter - awaiting cable disc brakes to arrive and compatible rear mech (Zee mechs don't seem to work with road shifters).

Wow! I'll be interested to hear how you like the drop bar setup.

Feb. 18, 2023, 8:13 a.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

So I'm going to drill a stealth dropper hole in my OG Rootdown. 45-degree angled out to the left from forward. My question for ye is how far up the seat tube from the bottom bracket? I am thinking 3 or 4 inches. Also any idea on where to get a rubber grommet? Chromag is out of stock.  Or perhaps I'll just drill the hole just big enough for the cable housing to fit fairly snug...but I fear that might affect smoothness of dropper action.

On the size 2022 Large Rootdown.

Feb. 18, 2023, 9:13 a.m.

Posted by: NealWood

The only thing better than one leaning hard tail is two leaning hard tails.

Neal, two ti knollys, well done such beautiful bikes. I've seriously considering swapping my Chromag Primer for a Ti Tyaughton

Feb. 18, 2023, 9:24 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Wow! I'll be interested to hear how you like the drop bar setup.

I'll let you know.  It proves its the most versatile frame ever made.

Feb. 18, 2023, 11:15 a.m.

I had minor surgery on my leg Thursday morning [nothing serious] and was supposed to rest for 5-7 days to let the stitches do their thing. After 2 days I was getting stir crazy so I figured running some errands around town on my Down Cargo Country rig would be okay. Some urban singletrack couldn't hurt too much right? At least I could get a "lean" shot in. I got a nice 10K ride in and I don't think I did any damage. 

My brain feels better for sure and I think I can get out for an easy MTB ride on Monday.

PS - don't make fun of my DIY box making skills. ;-)

Feb. 18, 2023, 4:23 p.m.

I had considered doing a similar drop bar conversion for my Chromag Sakura, still might. 

My plan was to use the Microshift AdventX brifter. I've found that the AdventX RD works perfect with Shimano 10sp mountain shifters, so I'd expect the AdventX brifter to operate a Shimano 10sp mountain RD in turn. 

So if you want to keep the Zee RD and pair it with 10sp 11-40t cassette, that's probably the most straightforward setup. I've read that the Zee RD can stretch to 42t based on hanger geometry but I didn't like the way mine played with a 42t cog

Feb. 18, 2023, 4:35 p.m.

Wolftooth makes a 10 speed Goatlink for better shifting with big cogs that'll work with the Freeride Zee.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/drivetrain-1/products/goatlink

Feb. 18, 2023, 11:54 p.m.

New Frame Day!

This arrived in time for the weekend and I was so eager to swap things over that there are no build shots.  Cardinal sin in some places but we're all here for the lean.

Somehow I'm out of small zip ties so the rear mudhugger didn't make it over. 

This is (amazingly) the "Longer" Moxie frame.  Just checked, I might have squeaked up to 5' 10".  I had the "Long" on order but as I sketched it up, I still would have needed the 65 mm stem and saddle slid back that the M/L Rootdown ('19) required.  So I gained 40 mm in frame reach, lost 33 mm in stem length (thanks DanL) and need to measure more carefully to see where the bars ended up elevation-wise.  Slacker frame but more lower headset stack muddies the waters...

I think the BB dropped (still running 175 mm cranks) but didn't notice anything amiss on the first ride.  Front tire moved out as did the rear.  And I didn't change the saddle at all; tilt/fore-aft position are the same.

I've been riding a bunch this winter but I rode things on the shakedown ride today that I wouldn't have hit on the Rootdown in summer.  So a positive experience so far!

Feb. 19, 2023, 12:55 a.m.

Oooh that blue is nice.  Good to see we have returned to "The Year of the Moxie".

Feb. 19, 2023, 1 a.m.

Posted by: UFO

I had considered doing a similar drop bar conversion for my Chromag Sakura, still might. 

My plan was to use the Microshift AdventX brifter. I've found that the AdventX RD works perfect with Shimano 10sp mountain shifters, so I'd expect the AdventX brifter to operate a Shimano 10sp mountain RD in turn. 

So if you want to keep the Zee RD and pair it with 10sp 11-40t cassette, that's probably the most straightforward setup. I've read that the Zee RD can stretch to 42t based on hanger geometry but I didn't like the way mine played with a 42t cog

I got some Microshift R10 levers cheap on Chain Reaction.  They didn’t sync with the Zee so I suspect the ratio is out.  I've ordered a cheap MS mech which should work.

At the moment the plan is to see what is possible and see if I like drops.  I've also ordered some WTB Riddlers - £12ish each on Wiggle so will try the gravel thing.  Hopefully it will make some of our tamer singletracks a little more fun yet still work as a commuter bike.

Feb. 19, 2023, 4:05 a.m.

To solidify the Year of the Moxie even further, here's a pic of a neat little hometrail lean, first outing on the new and improved flat pedal setup:

Moxie Rock Leanings

Feb. 19, 2023, 10:25 a.m.

This thread is so hot right now!!  Thanks for all the posts everyone, loving the all the great rigs to drool over.