NSMB - 2023 - Hardtails Leaning Against Stuff Thread

Feb. 16, 2023, 6:54 p.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

So I'm going to drill a stealth dropper hole in my OG Rootdown. 45-degree angled out to the left from forward. My question for ye is how far up the seat tube from the bottom bracket? I am thinking 3 or 4 inches. Also any idea on where to get a rubber grommet? Chromag is out of stock.  Or perhaps I'll just drill the hole just big enough for the cable housing to fit fairly snug...but I fear that might affect smoothness of dropper action.

It’s dark here. But tomorrow can try to get a pic of what is on the current Rootdown.

Feb. 16, 2023, 7:41 p.m.

Just snagged a photo of my old Torrent frame. Pretty near bang on 9cm up the seat tube from the top of the BB and about 45 degrees off center to the left like you are thinking.

neat

Last edited by: thaaad on Feb. 16, 2023, 7:41 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 16, 2023, 9:21 p.m.

I've drilled a couple of aluminum frames which was fairly soft and easy, but I imagine steel would be much less so

Feb. 16, 2023, 9:53 p.m.

Posted by: UFO

I've drilled a couple of aluminum frames which was fairly soft and easy, but I imagine steel would be much less so

I drilled an old steel one - much more XC than any Chromag, but it wasn't hard. I punched then drilled a smaller pilot hole to avoid any tool walking, and finished it to an oval with a dremel.

Feb. 16, 2023, 11:36 p.m.

A dirty bike is a happy bike, right? Perils of seeing a line on a map.

I keep wondering if I should switch her over to flat bars or alt bars, but then I go for a ride and the drops feel great. I think it's misplaced affection for my hardtail that I left in the US while I'm working as an expat. They're sketchy on trails, but I think a big part of that is the trails here are sketchy and muddy by themselves.

stooging

Last edited by: TristanC on Feb. 16, 2023, 11:57 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 17, 2023, 5:21 a.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

So I'm going to drill a stealth dropper hole in my OG Rootdown. 45-degree angled out to the left from forward. My question for ye is how far up the seat tube from the bottom bracket? I am thinking 3 or 4 inches. Also any idea on where to get a rubber grommet? Chromag is out of stock. Or perhaps I'll just drill the hole just big enough for the cable housing to fit fairly snug...but I fear that might affect smoothness of dropper action.

I did exactly that with my OG Rootdown a few years ago and haven’t had any issues over 2-3 seasons of riding. I no longer have the frame, but highly doubt it’s exploded and killed the new owner since ;-)

I had actually reached out to Chromag before drilling and Ian was very helpful. He basically said that he couldn’t "recommend" doing it since they hadn’t done any testing… BUT that the seat tube in that area was pretty thick/strong and that other riders had done it without any issues.

Based on what he had said, I ended up drilling at 45 degrees from the front on non drive side, and about 10cm from the center of the BB... pretty easy job.

Last edited by: pylag on Feb. 17, 2023, 7:32 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 17, 2023, 8:45 a.m.

Wow you folks have been extremely helpful.  Pylag that’s a great first post.  Cheers.

Feb. 17, 2023, 9:29 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

I punched then drilled a smaller pilot hole to avoid any tool walking, and finished it to an oval with a dremel.

This is the way for sure. Punch, pilot, finish.

Edit - I would also try a couple test runs of routing the cable to make sure you've got the cable and hole in the best spot to avoid any kind of kinking or weird rubbing.  I'm sure it'll work out fine but I would still mock it up a few different ways personally.

Last edited by: thaaad on Feb. 17, 2023, 9:31 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 17, 2023, 11:05 a.m.

I drilled my Krampus (downtube and seat tube).  It was fine and hasn't broken yet but is now my Krammuter so doesn't see much off road at the moment.  I'm just about to put some drops on it and will post some piccys once done.

Feb. 17, 2023, 11:06 a.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Posted by: velocipedestrian

I punched then drilled a smaller pilot hole to avoid any tool walking, and finished it to an oval with a dremel.

This is the way for sure. Punch, pilot, finish.

Edit - I would also try a couple test runs of routing the cable to make sure you've got the cable and hole in the best spot to avoid any kind of kinking or weird rubbing.  I'm sure it'll work out fine but I would still mock it up a few different ways personally.

Sound advice.

Feb. 17, 2023, 12:12 p.m.

Yeah, I had been following this thread for a bit, but didn't have much to contribute since I always forget to take pictures of my hardtail while on rides... I figured I had something useful to say here, so thought it'd be a good time to jump in!

I was able to dig up some old (crappy) pictures of the Rootdown with the internal dropper. I routed the cable under the down-tube with zip ties and it worked fine. It actually turned out to be pretty similar to the routing on the Samurai that followed.

With the hole & grommet

frame

Cable routing on the down tube (starts on the drive side, ends on the non drive side)

bike

Not 2023, but it's a hardtail leaning against a tree, so it kind of counts for now?

bike leaning

Feb. 17, 2023, 1:53 p.m.

Posted by: pylag

Not 2023, but it's a hardtail leaning against a tree, so it kind of counts for now?

Thanks for joining the thread. We aren't picky about the date. ;-)

Feb. 17, 2023, 4:11 p.m.

Pylag, I have the same bike but in blue. M/L Fox 34 140mm fork. It's my only mountain bike. Want to put -2 degree wolftooth geoshift on it in addition to internal dropper routing. Semi-modernizing it. Eventually put on a burlier fork I think.

Last edited by: BC_Nuggets on Feb. 17, 2023, 4:12 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 17, 2023, 4:44 p.m.

The only thing better than one leaning hard tail is two leaning hard tails.

Feb. 17, 2023, 4:50 p.m.

The only thing better than one leaning hard tail is two leaning hard tails.