NSMB - 2023 - Hardtails Leaning Against Stuff Thread

Jan. 29, 2023, 2:54 p.m.

Posted by: PembyRocks

On the bright side, the frame has now been replaced with a new Stylus!

At least the story has a happy ending. Enjoy the new ride.

Jan. 29, 2023, 8:40 p.m.

Front hub adapter arrived and installed the actual fork. Steer tube might be long enough to not go the route of the Stylus bar wise.

Wolftooth adapter for the win.

Last edited by: Endurimil on Jan. 29, 2023, 8:41 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 30, 2023, 4:44 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9tC25Sze-o&t=168s&ab_channel=chromagbikes

A nice bit of Janky HTing.

Last edited by: fartymarty on Jan. 30, 2023, 4:51 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 30, 2023, 4:58 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

We're you running both at 140?

Yep. 140 has been my hardtail sweet spot ever since m 26er Cotic Soul

Jan. 30, 2023, 5:19 a.m.

Posted by: hongeorge

We're you running both at 140?

Yep. 140 has been my hardtail sweet spot ever since m 26er Cotic Soul

Ditto with 140mm on the Solaris - it's just enough but not "staplery".

- in that case both would be similar to my Solaris Max.

Jan. 30, 2023, 7:14 a.m.

After the longer ride on the Hornby mission I couldn't resist swapping in some higher rise bars. The fit feels great now sitting and standing. I also increased the stem length from 31mm to 40mm. It's been a while since I wasn't running the shortest stem I could on a hardtail.

Jan. 30, 2023, 7:48 a.m.

Vik - do you have the 70x12 Ergotecs on the Sirius? I've just out mine back on the Solaris and my arms / shoulders are liking the extra flex over the Surlys.  I do like the shape and position of the Surlys tho.

Jan. 30, 2023, 8:11 a.m.

A nice bit of Janky HTing.

Nice Docta stick lean! I was thinking watching that video that Bellingham has some nice flowy hardtail friendly terrain. :-)

I have to say I appreciate "normal" rider style videos a lot more than super slick top level pro shredits. I can relate a lot more to what is going on and it stokes me to get out and ride. I usually last about 15 seconds in a pro shredit before I am bored and move on. While I appreciate the skill of the rider and the camera person/editor it just doesn't have much in common with what my experience of mountain biking is. So anyway nice video Chromag. I watched it from start to finish....that's rare!

Jan. 30, 2023, 8:45 a.m.

Yes I also prefer mtb videos that show riding that is within or not too far from my own abilities. That Chromag video was a nice watch, thanks for sharing Marty!

I like Bellingham, both the city and the trails. I always said if Bellingham was on our side of the border I might move there. On a high level I find the Comox Valley is in a similar category of good places to live. Not too big, not too small, laid back outdoorsy vibe, good variety of trails, close to ocean and mountains. I suppose they are both good places to ride a hardtail as your only bike as well.

Jan. 30, 2023, 9:14 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

On a high level I find the Comox Valley is in a similar category of good places to live. 

Yes. I think if Bellingham was on an island behind a ~$200 round trip ferry it would be a lot like the CV. BHam is busier, but it's easy to get to between a couple large cities.

Jan. 30, 2023, 9:57 a.m.

Niels, Vik - no worries for sharing.  To their credit Chromag have put out a lot of "relatable" videos over the years - and they're well filmed and have good soundtracks.  

I also like videos that aren't too far removed from what I can do.  This one seemed like trails I like to ride (on either HT or FS).  Ditto on the Pro Shredits - nice but not relatable.

Sounds like you guys need to do a mini road trip to Bellingham...

Jan. 30, 2023, 10:19 a.m.

With the ferry roundtrip and the border crossing it's a lot less attractive for a mini road trip. Too many good riding destinations closer by on the main island as well as easier ferry trips like Powell River, Quadra Island etc.

Jan. 30, 2023, 10:38 a.m.

I have friends in Portland and Seattle. We've been talking about some possible riding/camping meet up options and Bellingham is one of the locations being discussed. I have ridden there a half-dozen times so far. It's worth a visit if the logistics make sense. As Niels notes we've got so much great riding in our local area with terrain similar to Bellingham so I need a bit of an extra reason to go there to make it worthwhile vs. just staying "home".

Jan. 30, 2023, 2:04 p.m.

It's been a long winter and these "winter riding videos" make me jealous of the PNW/BC. Currently it's 9ºF here in Colorado. This was from about 2 weeks ago it warmed up to about 40ºF. Marino Cabala leaning up against snow.

Marino Cabala mullet

Same location in early December. Can't wait to ride again.

Jan. 30, 2023, 5:40 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: PembyRocks

On the bright side, the frame has now been replaced with a new Stylus!

At least the story has a happy ending. Enjoy the new ride.

Vik, one thing I should note. While didn’t hang from the neck to weigh them. But by simple picking them up before put Surly bar on the Stylus. The Stylus was a heavier bike compared to the Wideangle. Kind of suspect that if one was a Clydesdale or a rider who was hard on bikes the Stylus would be the general choice.

Even the Rootdown feels lighter than the Stylus before the bar swap. So think it leans more like the Wideangle to the more XC and general riding side. This is ironically what my Rootdown is kinda aimed at.