NSMB - 2023 - Hardtails Leaning Against Stuff Thread

Jan. 27, 2023, 1:41 p.m.

Posted by: hongeorge

Posted by: fartymarty

Posted by: hongeorge

Is that a Cotic chain slap protector I see...  Don't let Joe see it :P

PS - that's a tidy looking bike.

Hah - yes, it replaced a BFeMax, was the only protector I had to hand so stuck it on

How do they compare?

Pretty similar, i guess - they are not that different geometry wise, apart from the mullet wheel -  the Roost maybe a little more bmx-y as a result of that. I bought new wheels and forks when i did the frame swap, so not an entirely apples to apples comparison. BFeMax was a surprisingly good climber, not sure the Roost equals it in that respect, but pretty close. 

The main reason for the swap was shiny thing - I saw the Roost and really liked it, not many stainless frames around - always regretted missing out on the one Cotic did years back, couldn't afford it at the time.

We're you running both at 140?

Jan. 27, 2023, 2:41 p.m.

Jake - that green on the 529 is loverly.  I do like a green bike.  How does it ride?

Its a fantastic ride Marty

only built up since last fall, most of the time single speed

i was suprised how well i adjusted to the LLS geo, coming from a relic 26"

def in the bike feel, 65mm BB drop was eye opening for the first few rides

Jan. 27, 2023, 5:15 p.m.

Posted by: TristanC

Posted by: Jeh

With the cold snap coming, the trails are drying out nicely.  Valleycliffe has a reputation as the red-headed stepchild of Squamish but it's great for slimy, slow jank.  Perfect for a winter night ride.

Fully rigid.  Single speed.  Pointless...

I love the derailleur-as-chain-tensioner. Are you using longer limit screws, a cable section, or using the chain tension to hold it in the right spot?

Been thinking about doing that with an old Zee derailleur. Clutched tensioner for $30!

Short piece of cable.  I tried the longer limit screws but there doesn't seem to be anything for them to push against (at least with the Zee derailleur and the chainline I'm using).  Getting the cable tension right is a bit of a hassle without a barrel adjuster.  That particular derailleur is missing a bunch of parts since going through an old set of spokes.  I hammered the cage flat but could only get the lower pulley in place.  All that's needed for tension and the clutch is still working well.

Jan. 28, 2023, 3:59 a.m.

Something that popped  up on my google https://bikepacking.com/gear/mone-light-bar-review/

Jan. 28, 2023, 6:08 a.m.

Niels suggested riding across Denman Island and getting a couple laps on the Hornby Island trails yesterday. The weather was really nice and weekday traffic on the ferries was low. The trails were in prime shape with no other riders in sight. Great way to spend TGIF.

The ride across Denman Island is pretty relaxed now that there is a gravel bike lane across the middle of the island. Leaving the vehicle behind saves a lot of $$ and ensures VIP treatment on the ferries as bikes get on/off first.

And of course I found new and exciting things to lean my hardtail against on Hornby.

Jan. 28, 2023, 8:17 a.m.

Excellent day trip to Hornby with Vik yesterday! I had been there over a decade ago as a tourist to BC. Nice to be back on those fun trails in that beautiful mossy forest. Some slippery roots but the dirt was almost perfect. Enjoyed the views from the ridge trail.

I have to admit after 47 km with 970 m of climbing my tank was pretty empty. I'm afraid I wasn't very responsive on the drive home apart from a few big yawns.... Went to bed early and slept like a block of concrete.

I made my own bike-leaning-against-stuff photo for the full suspension thread but since Vik photobombed it on his hardtail I figure I can post it here to go with Vik's ride report ;-)

Jan. 28, 2023, 8:38 a.m.

Such a great view from the ridge on the Hornby trails. It never disappoints. Thanks for the ride suggestion Niels. I napped when I got home and then slept well last night. Today is a rest day and I'll go MOAR old man mode by swapping in some higher rise bars. This was my longest ride on the Moxie and the bars were a bit lower than my upper body wanted.

Jan. 28, 2023, 8:59 a.m.

I have to admit that those Hornby photos make me almost long for my teenage stomping grounds in Powell Riviera! 

This is what my riding looked like last week:

Twelve Mile

Jan. 28, 2023, 9:10 a.m.

That's ^^^ just a different flavour of amazing scenery. I kind of miss the snow and it's only been a couple weeks since the last snowy ride.

Jan. 28, 2023, 8:37 p.m.

Posted by: TristanC

With the cold snap coming, the trails are drying out nicely.  Valleycliffe has a reputation as the red-headed stepchild of Squamish but it's great for slimy, slow jank.  Perfect for a winter night ride.

Fully rigid.  Single speed.  Pointless...

I love the derailleur-as-chain-tensioner. Are you using longer limit screws, a cable section, or using the chain tension to hold it in the right spot?

Been thinking about doing that with an old Zee derailleur. Clutched tensioner for $30!

Short piece of cable.  I tried the longer limit screws but there doesn't seem to be anything for them to push against (at least with the Zee derailleur and the chainline I'm using).  Getting the cable tension right is a bit of a hassle without a barrel adjuster.  That particular derailleur is missing a bunch of parts since going through an old set of spokes.  I hammered the cage flat but could only get the lower pulley in place.  All that's needed for tension and the clutch is still working well.

1cm piece of housing + barrel adjuster to go with the short cable. It's good for testing ratios as you can wind it across 3 cogs.

Jan. 28, 2023, 8:45 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Such a great view from the ridge on the Hornby trails. It never disappoints. Thanks for the ride suggestion Niels. I napped when I got home and then slept well last night. Today is a rest day and I'll go MOAR old man mode by swapping in some higher rise bars. This was my longest ride on the Moxie and the bars were a bit lower than my upper body wanted.

Speaking of Hornby that used to be where the Hornby island Bike Fest and races happened. Think some of  it was on Fabrizio "Tig" Cross' parents property there. Little known fact....one year they had the BC MTB Champs there can't recall the year but Geoff Kabush the XC racer won the DH provincial title one year.

Jan. 29, 2023, 11:52 a.m.

So, shortly after posting the photo of my WideAngle leaning against a thing, the frame cracked. 

On the bright side, the frame has now been replaced with a new Stylus!

Jan. 29, 2023, 1:31 p.m.

I love that clearcoat over the steel finish

Jan. 29, 2023, 1:51 p.m.

doctahawk

badge

I got out for some great leaning this weekend, first for a long time after a new years day injury that kept me out of anything short of hobbling.

Chromag finished the frame early autumn for me with a clearcoat red/purple. It's deep, rich and changes look based on the light which is really something whilst still being able to see the work underneath. I wanted to keep it subtle and low key so the lettering is black and you really have to look for it.

It's a subtler change from the Rootdown frame in terms of my riding position - I always use SQLabs 12 dgeree sweep bars but I felt too far back with the short stem I was using so I swapped it for a 60mm stem to try to get my weight back over the front again. It's red because it was on sale at Chromag, not due to inept color matching haha. Wax push ons complete the Chromagerry and add to the plushness.

There's a little more up front with the 170mm Z1 coil. It was on the Rootdown as a 160mm fork. I just had to alter the spacers when I swapped frames. I like the simplicity of the Z1, I'm not a complex/competent suspension fettler so the more/less compression dial just works.

RaceFace Arcs, Vault Hubs, Cushcore front and back.

Hope rotors and a Hope Tech3 V4 brakeset. Gods how I love external routing.

28t XT cog x 10 speed 11-46 cassette with 11 speed derrailleur and XTR shifters as they were going for a song in the LBS parts bin. Daggas and XT crankset.

I also wanted a smaller cassette range to help with cadence and chainline which in turn lets me use an HG hub for both the Doctahawk and my DH bike so I get a lot of parts overlap like singlespeed setups etc

Jan. 29, 2023, 2:43 p.m.

Not leaning. Enough snow that it holds up the bike. LOL Trails are buried in Orlean's near Ottawa. So wandered around for a bit on sidewalks and side streets.