NSMB - 2023 - Hardtails Leaning Against Stuff Thread

Jan. 24, 2023, 11:29 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I don't follow that rule and I don't have any derailleur issues. The other side is a fall-line slope that's 50'+ high. I went down to clear some deadfall off the trail and I wasn't going to lean the bike against a tree and have it roll unexpectedly then take me out as it went down the hill.

Forgot you were on a SS - which is exempt from the right side rule.

Jan. 24, 2023, 12:04 p.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Forgot you were on a SS - which is exempt from the right side rule.

The Moxie has gears. My gears don't read the internet so they don't know that they are supposed to have problems when I lay the bike down on that side. So they keep working perfectly.

Jan. 24, 2023, 12:31 p.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Posted by: Hepcat

NOT WHEN YOU PUT IT DERAILLEUR SIDE DOWN. 

THE HORROR.

Minus a few lean points for that schoolboy error...

I don't follow that rule and I don't have any derailleur issues.

Oof. Hate to jump on the bandwagon here Scofflaw-Vik but derailleur issues or otherwise the drive side lean is a tough pill to swallow. There are still a few things in life that are cut-and-dry right v. wrong.

You know, I taught my kid to always hold the door for old folks and never lean her bike on the drive side and I figure the rest of life is pretty much patterned from there.

Jan. 24, 2023, 12:36 p.m.

Love hardtails leaning on stuff.

"Everything serious is always [Full Suspension]" - Jerry Willows

#JerryWillowsHatesMyBike

Jan. 24, 2023, 1:27 p.m.

The Moxie is stiffer than the Sirius or the Bird Forge, but I haven't felt like that was an issue so far. Winter conditions are softer so we'll have to see what I think when July rolls around and the ground is hard/bumpy.

I had a rocky Moxie ride recently that tried to shake me to bits. It's midsummer here, and the trail was heavily armoured.

I was wishing for a FS by the bottom. Maybe I should go longer than 140 up front too.

Jan. 24, 2023, 2:55 p.m.

Before the next snow fall.

Day before me first ride on snow covered trails in 2023.

https://dirtyridesmtbapparel.co.uk/

Jan. 24, 2023, 2:57 p.m.

Yes, there is something to be said for weighting the front with 170mm of coil goodness to smooth out the ride.

Jan. 24, 2023, 3:28 p.m.

My Pipedream Sirius, being rebuilt as a SS/overforked this winter. Will post the final build when complete!

Jan. 24, 2023, 3:29 p.m.

Cross post for 24" Meat Engine Hardtail. Set my kid's bike up with proper aggressive tubeless rubber for trail gripping fun.

Last edited by: yardrec on Jan. 24, 2023, 3:30 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 24, 2023, 3:32 p.m.

Posted by: yardrec

Cross post for 24" Meat Engine Hardtail. Set my kid's bike up with proper aggressive tubeless rubber for trail gripping fun.

Nice. You have a lucky kid. :-)

Jan. 24, 2023, 3:36 p.m.

Nice. You have a lucky kid. :-)

I feel like a idiot because I couldn't figure out why they were so freaked out sliding around on the trails. I'm taking inspiration from Andrew to give them proper gear like I'd want to have fun times. We'll see when it warms up enough for them to want to go ride bikes with me! :)

Jan. 24, 2023, 4:26 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

I had a rocky Moxie ride recently that tried to shake me to bits. It's midsummer here, and the trail was heavily armoured.

I was wishing for a FS by the bottom. Maybe I should go longer than 140 up front too.

The bars are still connected pretty rigidly to that back wheel!  With 170 up front I still long for a squishy bike at the end of a 4+mi descent on constant chunk.

Jan. 24, 2023, 4:32 p.m.

Posted by: PowellRiviera

Yes, there is something to be said for weighting the front with 170mm of coil goodness to smooth out the ride.

After a mid ride survey I made up, all my injuries have stated that minimum 140-150 mm is best to avoid a negative reaction. LOL

Jan. 24, 2023, 4:33 p.m.

I feel like a idiot because I couldn't figure out why they were so freaked out sliding around on the trails. I'm taking inspiration from Andrew to give them proper gear like I'd want to have fun times. We'll see when it warms up enough for them to want to go ride bikes with me! :)

Young people and new riders need good gear. The old paradigm of putting the least capable folks on the worst gear made no sense. My GF's first ever MTB was a Santa Cruz Nomad.  It was the same brand/model my buddy and I rode so when she was on the trail she knew she was on the same equipment as us. Looking back I am really glad we made that choice instead of getting her some sort of introductory bike. Especially given the savagely technical trails she had to learn to ride on.

If you know any trails that end up close to a treat dispensing establishment that can really ramp up the motivation.

Jan. 24, 2023, 4:39 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Oof. Hate to jump on the bandwagon here Scofflaw-Vik but derailleur issues or otherwise the drive side lean is a tough pill to swallow. There are still a few things in life that are cut-and-dry right v. wrong.

Perhaps back in the day when that dogma was established and people used rim brakes and cheesy hangers/derailleurs it even made sense. That said if I look back on my bike issues I can't remember the last time I needed to adjust my shifting or tweak my hanger. On the other hand brakes have seen a reasonable amount of attention. So if I was going to establish a religion around laying my bike down on one side or the other it would be the side that protected the brake rotors best.