NSMB - 2023 - Hardtails Leaning Against Stuff Thread

Jan. 20, 2023, 7:33 a.m.

Installed a Cushcore plus insert on the rear wheel of the Canfield.  I've used Cushcore before on a fully, it was okay, didn't notice a huge advantage.  

On the hardtail...mind blown.  I've been digging the EPO but it is amazing now.  My poor Ripmo AF is just gathering dust.

Jan. 20, 2023, 7:36 a.m.

Posted by: kavurider

On the hardtail...mind blown. 

I was an insert skeptic, but ya rear wheel of the hardtail is a game changer for sure.

Jan. 20, 2023, 7:55 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I was an insert skeptic, but ya rear wheel of the hardtail is a game changer for sure.

Have you guys tried DH rear tyres?  I'm currently on WTB Tough Judges (F+R) on my HT.  I've got it down at 19psi for my 94kg lardy ass.

Jan. 20, 2023, 8:07 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Have you guys tried DH rear tyres?  I'm currently on WTB Tough Judges (F+R) on my HT.  I've got it down at 19psi for my 94kg lardy ass.

No. I'm allergic to high rolling resistance tires so I avoid stiff casings. I'll run the most supple casing I can get away with. Maxxis EXO or similar is fine. I get less than 1 flat per year riding as hard as I can.

Jan. 20, 2023, 9:18 a.m.

Posted by: Jeh

New year's resolution - stop lurking.  What, I've already got an account?  Well look at that.  Still not hot on the Spearhead huts...

This Rootdown has been through a few iterations to get to this point.  Mostly trying to differentiate it from the other bike ('18 HTLT).

I'm a wimp and in the heart of the Squamish so that's a 26x22 gearing to get up.  The Bird fork with a 25mm crown race maintains a reasonable front end (well, geometry-wise).  The goal has always been to find different challenges on the same local trails; keep them fresh, so to speak.

In keeping with the "Year of the Moxie" theme, I've got a long on pre-order from the first 2023 batch.  It'll be nice to ditch the tensioner but the real goal is to move the saddle forward and shorten the (currently 65 mm) stem.  At 5' 9" I don't see myself on the Large Rootdown (this is a M/L) but I'm all limbs so a bit more length in the rear should help keep the front end down.

This Rootdown is got it going on! Nice on the rigid front end. What 25mm crown race did you source?

Jan. 20, 2023, 9:25 a.m.

Posted by: yardrec

New year's resolution - stop lurking.  What, I've already got an account?  Well look at that.  Still not hot on the Spearhead huts...

This Rootdown has been through a few iterations to get to this point.  Mostly trying to differentiate it from the other bike ('18 HTLT).

I'm a wimp and in the heart of the Squamish so that's a 26x22 gearing to get up.  The Bird fork with a 25mm crown race maintains a reasonable front end (well, geometry-wise).  The goal has always been to find different challenges on the same local trails; keep them fresh, so to speak.

In keeping with the "Year of the Moxie" theme, I've got a long on pre-order from the first 2023 batch.  It'll be nice to ditch the tensioner but the real goal is to move the saddle forward and shorten the (currently 65 mm) stem.  At 5' 9" I don't see myself on the Large Rootdown (this is a M/L) but I'm all limbs so a bit more length in the rear should help keep the front end down.

This Rootdown is got it going on! Nice on the rigid front end. What 25mm crown race did you source?

Hmm...if that is a 1 1/8" steer tube. Don't know if can still find one but you used to be able to get a spacer that you would install on the fork first then put the crown race on it.  Cannot recall where I found it as it has been forever. Did something similar back in 2009 to a GT Peace 9r.

Jan. 20, 2023, 9:48 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Posted by: Vikb

Haven't been able to find a lot of DH 27.5 plus tires.  I am running the Rekon EXOs that came on the bike when I bought it, they seem to work okay here in the desert.  Adding the insert has made them awesome.

I do run a DH tire on the rear of my Ripmo AF, but I might try a lighter tire combined with Cushcore for that as well.

Jan. 20, 2023, 10:37 a.m.

While Team Moxie came on strong I think this could be the Year of the Rootdown on NSMB. Here are a couple more Rootys belonging to island riders I know.

Jan. 20, 2023, 1:44 p.m.

I'll be putting mine back together this year...just need wheels!

Jan. 20, 2023, 2:54 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

/\Hardtails leaning against stuff on random adventures big and small is my new favorite thing here.

To keep it going.  From yesterdays spin and only reason that spot is spotted the Beaver lodge that wasn’t there when went by July 27th. Was built some time after before November or December. 

Jan. 20, 2023, 3:11 p.m.

It seems so weird to see 60mm stems like that on Mtb’s now days.

Jan. 21, 2023, 12:46 p.m.

It’s not the protection I notice most in hardtail, it’s the damping. It’s amazing, I even run one in my CX bike when not racing.

Jan. 21, 2023, 2:01 p.m.

Did someone say year of the Rootdown?! Long time lurker and have been wanting to join the conversation for a while. Here is my rebuilt Primer - this is V3. It is the bike that I always end up coming back to. Hopefully, the pictures post correctly!

Last edited by: trioofchaos on Jan. 21, 2023, 2:04 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 21, 2023, 2:24 p.m.

I wasn't feeling totally motivated to ride today, but my GF was headed to the trails to meet a friend and I figured if she was burning dino juice I might as well carpool. Nice day leaning my bike against stuff on the trails despite the rain.

I stayed fairly dry for the first hour, but my the second hour I got a bit moist from the inside and the outside. Given the snowmelt and all the rain we've had lately the trails are draining really well.

Jan. 21, 2023, 2:34 p.m.

Oh man, it’s a cold rain today. Good for u Vic