NSMB - 2023 - Hardtails Leaning Against Stuff Thread

Jan. 9, 2023, 5:40 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Yay headset part and the pressfit BB arrived. Now to read up on how to install a pressfit BB.

A press is ideal, but I've found a hammer and couple blocks of wood to be serviceable in a pinch so long as you are patient and not hamfisted.

Jan. 9, 2023, 9:50 p.m.

Posted by: UFO

Yay headset part and the pressfit BB arrived. Now to read up on how to install a pressfit BB.

A press is ideal, but I've found a hammer and couple blocks of wood to be serviceable in a pinch so long as you are patient and not hamfisted.

I have used my drill press as an arbor press to install press fit BBs. Also used a hammer and a block of wood, which worked about as well.

Jan. 9, 2023, 11:15 p.m.

Burnskiez - as Vik says MH rear, RRP front.  That’s what most of my riding buddies run here (Surrey, UK which is very wet atm).  I’ve got them on the HT and FS bikes.  

The new rear MH looks really good as it has a flap that extends down to the BB and uses velcro to hold it on.

Jan. 10, 2023, 2:04 a.m.

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

I guess all three of these fit the bill!

Cool classic Ted. That Arcturian is awesome though. Can we get some mean slab riding action shots once spring is back?

Jan. 10, 2023, 3:01 a.m.

I haven't posted in a while, but after seeing Treemer's Moxie again, I thought I'd post mine again(?) ;-)

potato basement photoworks

Excuse the rather ragged picture quality, but there's a story in here relevant to the somewhat sad Stooge Mk5 in the background. Until recently I had settled on riding the Moxie as a long travel, long wheelbase 29er bruiser everywhere I'd be afraid to take the Stooge. Until I discovered I cracked the frame at the drive side dropout (likely because those loosened a bit too often due to my negligence). So while I am figuring out a repair (Andy @ Stooge has been exceptionally helpful), The Moxie got a full makeover -- I shortened the travel on the Formula Selva from 160 to 120mm, and adjusted the gearing to a more humane 32:20 on a 29x2.35 LG1 S/S rear tyre, and moved over the full mudhugger setup. Honestly, the bike performed the best it ever did since then -- I much prefer the firmer short travel fork setup, and it really rewards being pushed around agressively out on the trail.

Making the best out of an unlucky situation sometimes reveals gems hidden in plain sight.

Jan. 10, 2023, 5:13 a.m.

Posted by: twk

I haven't posted in a while, but after seeing Treemer's Moxie again, I thought somewhat sad Stooge Mk5 in the background. Until recently I had settled on riding the Moxie as a long travel, long wheelbase 29er bruiser everywhere I'd be afraid to take the Stooge. Until I discovered I cracked the frame at the drive side dropout (likely because those loosened a bit too often due to my negligence). So while I am figuring out a repair (Andy @ Stooge has been exceptionally helpful), The Moxie got a full makeover -- I shortened the travel on the Formula Selva from 160 to 120mm, and adjusted the gearing to a more humane 32:20 on a 29x2.35 LG1 S/S rear tyre, and moved over the full mudhugger setup. Honestly, the bike performed the best it ever did since then -- I much prefer the firmer short travel fork setup, and it really rewards being pushed around agressively out on the trail.

Making the best out of an unlucky situation sometimes reveals gems hidden in plain sight.

The Moxie is a versatile platform. I partly bought mine to stave off new bike cravings. I've got 2 x 29 wheelsets plus a 27.5 mullet option to keep it interesting. I had a 140mm fork which worked great on the trail but the current one is 150 (the shortest setting, but I really wanted that fork). You are right, it's a bike that likes being pushed hard.

Last edited by: Tremeer023 on Jan. 10, 2023, 8:27 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 10, 2023, 5:45 a.m.

Wow the Moxie is this year's Doctahawk! ;-)

I've only tried 140mm-160mm forks on my hardtails. I've preferred the 140mm forks. Given I like slacker STA/HTAs, higher BBs and higher stack going lower on the front end isn't appealing, but it's not because I need more travel.

Jan. 10, 2023, 5:50 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty  

The new rear MH looks really good as it has a flap that extends down to the BB and uses velcro to hold it on.

"Building on the award winning, tried and tested Rear Mudhugger design, we have now added 3 signficant improvemnts over the original 2012 Rear Mudhugger design.

1. Utilising reusable quick release velcro straps to fit to the helitape protected seat stays makes fitting and removing a matter of seconds.

2. Where the Mudhugger 'sits' on the seat stays we have incorporated rubber inserts which aid grip and improves damping.

3. An all new push fit BB extender. Designed to protect bearings and the BB area from mud and debris build up, in even the most extreme conditions. This has been designed to be as thin as possible so that it can be easily trimmed to suit most bike rear triangle designs*.

The MEDIUM version is designed for bikes with a seat stay angle from 34 degrees down to 27 degrees. Can be fitted to 'most' mountain bikes with disc brakes, even with external cables and hoses."

Wow. Lots of changes to the venerable MH. It'll be interesting to see how they work vs. the older design. I didn't know they were actually made in the UK. That's great.

Jan. 10, 2023, 6:01 a.m.

The Moxie looks like a great bike.  Good geo and singlespeedable.  How do they ride?

Jan. 10, 2023, 6:49 a.m.

Posted by: UFO

Yep. Small-ish hammer and a block of some super hard maple for me. Have also used 1" thick nylon offcuts for a similar purpose too. I call the hammer a "variable swing press" if I'm helping a buddy, because people generally seem to think you MUST use a press or ELSE!

Princess Auto arbor press and some wood/plastic blocks work great too - if you have a friend that's into car stuff they might have one in the garage already.

Jan. 10, 2023, 7:56 a.m.

Vik - the new MHs look great - especially on a FS bike.  Nice to see plastic stuff made in UK.

Jan. 10, 2023, 8:19 a.m.

Parts arrived and the gradual assembly started last night. Quick trip to Home Despot for a larger washer and headset went in easily.  Also grabbed a tin of anti seize.

Tonight is BB and all the cables/housing. Still have some more parts and such to order including racer tape.

Jan. 10, 2023, 10:08 a.m.

Posted by: allride.now

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

I guess all three of these fit the bill!

Cool classic Ted. That Arcturian is awesome though. Can we get some mean slab riding action shots once spring is back?

Thanks! I'll see what I can do ha ha.

Jan. 10, 2023, 11:12 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

The Moxie looks like a great bike.  Good geo and singlespeedable.  How do they ride?

I found it a bit jarring with short chainstays and a 29er wheel, also the relatively tight tyre clearance around a knobby 2.35 meant some rub in corners, the frame flexes noticably (which I like, though I am only 70kg light sans kit). With long stays it is pretty smooth, though I have little to compare it to. With a 27.5x2.8, especially with an insert, all chainstay settings feel damped enough to my liking.

Jan. 10, 2023, 12:15 p.m.

Ya, most excellent quiver there!!!!!  Three times as much fun.

And thanks all for the advice, ordering the rrp front/mudhugger rear combo this afternoon.  I'll post some pictures once the stooge gets all dressed up for winter.