NSMB - 2023 - Hardtails Leaning Against Stuff Thread

Jan. 5, 2023, 4:25 p.m.

I love the Slingshot and the story behind it. To use a UK expression, very 'Triggers Broom'!

Jan. 6, 2023, 5:30 a.m.

Solaris Max with Sunrise Bars

I've got a 200mm dropper on the way to replace the 150 that's on there.  

Sunrise Bars are really a tester to see if I like a high stack.  Hopefully the extra weight will offset the height and the front tyre will still stay stuck to the ground.

Last edited by: fartymarty on Jan. 6, 2023, 5:55 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 6, 2023, 6:37 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Sunrise Bars are really a tester to see if I like a high stack.  Hopefully the extra weight will offset the height and the front tyre will still stay stuck to the ground.

The bars look good.

Jan. 6, 2023, 8:15 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Solaris Max with Sunrise Bars

I've got a 200mm dropper on the way to replace the 150 that's on there.  

Looks good.

Jan. 7, 2023, 8:41 a.m.

I've already got a "Summer Build" in mind for the Solaris - 2.3 Exo DHR2/SS, 120 fork with lotsa tokens, clip pedals and a low rise bar.

Jan. 7, 2023, 9:21 a.m.

My summer build will be an annual wash with warm soapy water and a rag and fresh wear parts like chain/brake pads and fresh sealant. I'm lazy I can't even be bothered to remove the fenders. It does rain less in summer, but it does rain.

Jan. 7, 2023, 11:25 a.m.

My Solaris (Charley) is being reborn this year as a rigid bike. No single speed (sorry @andrewmajor) but it is sporting a 9 speed friction thumbie. Most of the "fancy" parts got donated to my new full suspension build. I envision this as a diverting option for goofing around, low-speed group rides, and general purpose dad bike. I'm sure it would make a good bikepacker too, but my daughter was born in September of last year so if I can get out on one night ride a week I consider myself lucky!

Jan. 8, 2023, 6:12 a.m.

Happy new year nsmb. I posted some photos of my latest Moxie somewhere else but here they are again:

Jan. 8, 2023, 6:44 a.m.

I've been expanding the recon missions in different parts of our local trail network. So amazing how fast the snow is disappearing and how great soil conditions are despite biblical levels of rain and snow melt. In most places it was firm hero dirt-ish. Very limited bits of mud and just a handful of puddles. I need to get up to the top of the mountain next ride and see what's going on up there.

Yesterday's ride was a full hardtail crew. Here is my buddy's SS Honzo mullet. He crushes it up and down on this rig while being in the next decade of life from me. Not sure if that's inspirational or depressing. ;-)

My GF's Sirius getting broken in nicely. She's stoked with the more supple frame and 29er wheels.

Last edited by: Vikb on Jan. 8, 2023, 6:55 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 8, 2023, 6:57 a.m.

Posted by: Tremeer023

Happy new year nsmb. I posted some photos of my latest Moxie somewhere else but here they are again:

Nice looking bike. I've been enjoying my Moxie. Not sure between the Moxie and the Sirius which one will end up going SS and which one will run gears? I may swap them around.

Jan. 8, 2023, 11:04 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: Tremeer023

Nice looking bike. I've been enjoying my Moxie. Not sure between the Moxie and the Sirius which one will end up going SS and which one will run gears? I may swap them around.

Thanks, and yours is looking sweet too.  I wasn't brave enough for the pink but it looks amazing against black components. 

I haven't tried gears on mine yet. With faster rolling tyres I haven't felt the need yet, but it can be a slog with the sticky rubber wheelset.

Jan. 9, 2023, 10:32 a.m.

Converted my buddy to the dark side, we've got his Niner SIR rigged up with one cog now and hes loving it.  Even has an enve rigid fork sitting in the shop, need to get him to fully commit lol.  Actually got a group single speed ride today, cause anything greater than one is a group right.  

A couple rides in the torrential rain up here (north coast california) have me convinced I need some real fenders like all you foul weather experts run up there. Only trouble is I cant seem to find much selection of mudhugger gear down here. Are there any decent alternatives anyones found?

Jan. 9, 2023, 1:13 p.m.

I guess all three of these fit the bill!

Jan. 9, 2023, 1:18 p.m.

Posted by: burnskiez

Converted my buddy to the dark side, we've got his Niner SIR rigged up with one cog now and hes loving it.  Even has an enve rigid fork sitting in the shop, need to get him to fully commit lol.  Actually got a group single speed ride today, cause anything greater than one is a group right.  

A couple rides in the torrential rain up here (north coast california) have me convinced I need some real fenders like all you foul weather experts run up there. Only trouble is I cant seem to find much selection of mudhugger gear down here. Are there any decent alternatives anyones found?

Two folks is a group ride 100%! Mudhugger is the only rear fender I would bother with. Worth hunting around online for one. You want the "medium" version which is the old "29er version". There is a new "long" version, but it's almost comically large. On the front the Mudhugger fender is okay. I prefer the RRP Max fender if you can get your hands on it for better coverage.

RRP -> https://www.rapidracerproducts.com/products/mudguards/proguard.html

MH -> https://www.westpointcycles.com/product/mudhugger-mudhugger-medium-rear-fender-fits-27.5-and-29er-bikes-65612.htm & https://www.westpointcycles.com/product/mudhugger-mudhugger-evo-ziptie-front-fender-65608.htm

Jan. 9, 2023, 2:57 p.m.

Yay headset part and the pressfit BB arrived. Now to read up on how to install a pressfit BB.