NSMB - 2023 - Hardtails Leaning Against Stuff Thread

May 29, 2023, 5:18 a.m.

I had a bunch of friends in town this weekend and I played tour guide so they didn't have to break out their phones and try and Trailforks a route. Most folks were on squishy bikes, but one buddy was rocking his Rooty. Stump lean. Homemade frame bag and 20 deg sweep bars for bonus points.

Normally my GF rides her FS bike once it gets dry and then only switches back to the hardtail for sloppy winter conditions. So when she asked me to load her Moxie on the car I knew something was up. She's not very expressive/talkative when it comes to bikes. The few cryptic comments she made this weekend indicate she's enjoying the Moxie enough to want to ride it even when conditions are good for the FS rig. I'll call that progress. We'll see how much each bike gets used over the next few months. Trail sign and tree leans.

No post-ride line ups at the brewery. That made for easy beer lean/hangs.

May 29, 2023, 7:25 a.m.

We need more bike & beer shots!

May 29, 2023, 9:23 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Wow.  That has bikepacking written all over it with the Brooks saddle and the bar tape.  What a beauty.

May 30, 2023, 7:28 a.m.

My hardtail. Ragley Big Wig (with a few stickers and a load of bruises) with MRP Ribbon Coil @ 150mm, newly installed Wilde Bikes Cardinal bars with S&M Challenger stem, Animal Clifton grips, Microshift Advent 9 speed, DMR Axe Cranks, Beat to crap DMR Vaults, random non boost front wheel of broken full sus with boost converter spacers, Spank rear rim with Hope hope, Brand-X dropper with Selle Italia Turbo and Paul lever, Magura MT7 stoppers, Minion DHF front, Rekon rear. Needs new tires.

Last edited by: 93EXCivic on May 30, 2023, 7:30 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 30, 2023, 1:54 p.m.

Nice/\😎

Rad handlebar, haven't seen that before. $70 less than an Oddmonë bar too.

May 30, 2023, 2:13 p.m.

I love those bars, I may have to dip a toe into this style as I've already found that upping the number of spacers has helped with my riding position a lot, so a bit more rise in the handlebar dept combined with the sweep I already like from my sqlabs could be a good time.

May 30, 2023, 2:27 p.m.

Not as cheap as last time I looked, but not bad. 780mm width, 70mm rise & 12 deg backsweep --> https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/ergotec-riser-70-mm-12--grip-230-mm-handlebar/137484599/p

Last edited by: Vikb on May 30, 2023, 2:28 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 30, 2023, 11:22 p.m.

Posted by: DanL

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

You guys have any recommendations for brakes?  My old 2-piston SLX just aren't cutting it anymore (one of the levers has some concerning vertical play probably from crashies.)

Want something that's good bang for the buck for my OG rootdown.  So many brands out now.  Would prefer 4 piston, decent modulation and something that's fairly easy to bleed would be cool.  My 180mm rotors are fine I think.

Dominions are really really great, easy to bleed - not as easy as Codes as the bleeding edge port is a really slick bit of engineering. Hope Tech3 V4s can be had for a lot cheaper these days due to the tech4s coming out and they are the easiest brake to bleed that I've come across. Spare parts can be a bit slow coming from the UK but I had to rebuild some calipers from the ground up, so there was a lot of special parts to order in.

Really interested in the need for 4 pot brakes for hardtails (each to their own, you do you etc) but I just replaced my old 2 pot Deores with the newer (2 pot) version.

Personally I don't want (or need) gobs of power on my hardtail (especially in rigid mode) as traction is a high priority and I clearly am too hamfisted and slow for anything else ha

May 31, 2023, 6:09 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Nice/\😎

Rad handlebar, haven't seen that before. $70 less than an Oddmonë bar too.

They are pretty new I think. Made by S&M.

May 31, 2023, 8:05 a.m.

Posted by: GiveitsomeWelly

Really interested in the need for 4 pot brakes for hardtails (each to their own, you do you etc) but I just replaced my old 2 pot Deores with the newer (2 pot) version.

Personally I don't want (or need) gobs of power on my hardtail (especially in rigid mode) as traction is a high priority and I clearly am too hamfisted and slow for anything else ha

You can have it both ways. Plenty of brake systems with WC-DH level stopping but significant power control (just not from Shimano).

I’m regularly glad for the brake power on my rigid bike and hardtail when I’m riding really steep terrain but have zero issues maintaining traction.

Lately I’ve been on Dominion A4, Cura4, and MT7.

May 31, 2023, 9:39 a.m.

Along the lines of Andrew's comments, I want a bit more power (I'm heavier than before) and want more modulation.  That said I do like bite that Shimano brakes have so will probably go for 4 piston slx.  Even with the dreaded "wandering bite point" which I hadn't heard about until recently.  I think my 2 piston slx do it a little bit but it's never been an issue.

May 31, 2023, 9:46 a.m.

Posted by: GiveitsomeWelly

Posted by: DanL

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

You guys have any recommendations for brakes? My old 2-piston SLX just aren't cutting it anymore (one of the levers has some concerning vertical play probably from crashies.)

Want something that's good bang for the buck for my OG rootdown. So many brands out now. Would prefer 4 piston, decent modulation and something that's fairly easy to bleed would be cool. My 180mm rotors are fine I think.

Dominions are really really great, easy to bleed - not as easy as Codes as the bleeding edge port is a really slick bit of engineering. Hope Tech3 V4s can be had for a lot cheaper these days due to the tech4s coming out and they are the easiest brake to bleed that I've come across. Spare parts can be a bit slow coming from the UK but I had to rebuild some calipers from the ground up, so there was a lot of special parts to order in.

I'll be honest I don't see any reason not to run 4 pots. I mean they are a tiny bit heavier but at least my Maguras or TRPs I can easily use them so they don't lock up.

Last edited by: 93EXCivic on May 31, 2023, 9:46 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 31, 2023, 10:23 a.m.

It's all about that power control/modulation and making it nice for my hands to do it many many times a day. (Remember that Pirelli advert "power is nothing without control" ? )

May 31, 2023, 10:23 a.m.

I need 4 pots to haul my lardy ass to a stop - i don't mind my XT/Zees w sintered pads but they're very on/off cf Cura 2 on the FS bike.

May 31, 2023, 11:06 a.m.

^Jeez now you've got me thinking about the Formula Cura again.  They really look great in that gold.  If I was going 2 pot, the Cura 2 would be it for sure.