NSMB - 2023 - Hardtails Leaning Against Stuff Thread

March 27, 2023, 12:24 a.m.

This is a dreamy looking pony!

Stanmer Tea Rooms in Brighton? I miss those trails. Used to live in Hurst but now in NZ and missing British slop…

Posted by: a.funks
If it wasn’t for the lack of gears this would be a fully enduro hardtail!

Moxie with huge discs

March 27, 2023, 12:55 a.m.

Posted by: TwistedNipple

I'm liking all the silver, that dropper is mint.  The Smooth Moves look great - I have my eye on a pair.

Where are you in NZ (i'm an ex JAFA but have been living in UK since 2000).  There's nowt to miss about the British slop - it's getting to that time of the year where I'm over it.

March 27, 2023, 12:57 a.m.

I've added a splash of colour to the Solaris.

March 27, 2023, 1:57 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

I'm liking all the silver, that dropper is mint.  The Smooth Moves look great - I have my eye on a pair.

Where are you in NZ (i'm an ex JAFA but have been living in UK since 2000).  There's nowt to miss about the British slop - it's getting to that time of the year where I'm over it.

Smooth moves feel pretty nice. If I was doing this again I’d probably polish a pair of the Stooge Moto bars, I feel like the sweep sits better and doesn’t impact reach quite as much.but I’m only one ride in, so I’ll give them some more time. Andy needs to make a polished option…

We’re now down in Wanaka, there’s little grip in this alpine desert, but used to be near Rotorua.

Give it a month and you’ll be right, they’ll be tackiness in the soil. Where in UK is home?

March 27, 2023, 2:57 a.m.

Interesting on the SM v Moto.  I've polished up some Ergotecs which are good but only 12 backsweep - I like the 15-16 on my Sunrise / SQ better.

My sister and family have just moved to Wanaka - they've just moved down so haven't ridden much.

Guildford's home - there's a good trail or two locally.  Yeah it wont be long.

March 27, 2023, 12:14 p.m.

First time boaster here, thanks for having me.

My new build seemed worthy of a post in this all-time thread. Hand polished cranks and dropper.

The world needs more Silver droppers.

And here’s my ride or die, we’ll never part ways.

You’re absolutely right about silver dropper posts, how’d you manage doing it?

Edit: I mean what materials, process?

Last edited by: Flatted-again on March 27, 2023, 12:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 27, 2023, 2:19 p.m.

I like the look of the silver dropper, but you've removed the surface hardening on a sliding part... Did you replace the anodising with some kind of protective surface treatment?

-

Wanaka is fun, make the most of Dean's Bank before the frost heave arrives to shut it down for winter. 

Where is the green SS photo taken? QT? Looks good.

March 28, 2023, 12:01 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

I like the look of the silver dropper, but you've removed the surface hardening on a sliding part... Did you replace the anodising with some kind of protective surface treatment?

-

Wanaka is fun, make the most of Dean's Bank before the frost heave arrives to shut it down for winter. 

Where is the green SS photo taken? QT? Looks good.

I did remove the anodising and I plan to get all parts I’ve hand polished clear ano’d at some point. This was more of a proof of concept but it hasn’t impeded functionality. I put this down to the fact that a dropper is a relatively basic sliding part either moving under pressure from air or weight.

Yep, winter riding is interesting at best… Good job there’s snow on the hills for other fun.

That photo’s on the Adze Up climb out the back of Glendhu Park, we’re lucky to have this place.

March 28, 2023, 2:02 a.m.

My new build seemed worthy of a post in this all-time thread. Hand polished cranks and dropper. 

And here’s my ride or die, we’ll never part ways.

That ESD is hawt af. How do you find the hectic angles for SSing?

March 28, 2023, 3:20 a.m.

Posted by: Flatted-again

There are a few useful bits of info on the google if you search ‘removing anodizing from aluminium’ and I covered a bit of this in the patina article by Andrew. Simply though, oven cleaner soaked for 20-30 mins, double up on the tough spots, scotchbrite to remove leftovers and key up, then autosol metal polish with microfibre. Not too time consuming. The chainring has proven the. Toughest due to strong ano and intricate shapes.

March 28, 2023, 3:23 a.m.

Posted by: GiveitsomeWelly
That ESD is hawt af. How do you find the hectic angles for SSing?

I’m missing oval on the front, that’ll get swapped this weekend.

Not enjoying the steep seated position when cadence gets low but oval should help. Head angle hasn’t caused any issues but it’s definitely more of an all body effort. 

Worth it for when it points to hell though, the thing rips.

March 28, 2023, 9:36 a.m.

Posted by: Flatted-again

There are a few useful bits of info on the google if you search ‘removing anodizing from aluminium’ and I covered a bit of this in the patina article by Andrew. Simply though, oven cleaner soaked for 20-30 mins, double up on the tough spots, scotchbrite to remove leftovers and key up, then autosol metal polish with microfibre. Not too time consuming. The chainring has proven the. Toughest due to strong ano and intricate shapes.

Super cool.  The cranks turned out great too.  Any thoughts on nickel-plating the parts?

March 28, 2023, 12:44 p.m.

Nice.  Might I suggest silver cog spacers and lockring.  Love the silver.

March 28, 2023, 2:29 p.m.

A wee bit of leaning in the night. Owning the night for the first time since knee surgery.

March 28, 2023, 3 p.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

So I had a wolftooth geoshift -2 installed in my og rootdown. 

Game changer.  Min maxing. No negatives for me.

So I assume my og rootdown went from 67.5 or 68 hta toe somewhere between 65.5 and 66 hta.  And the sta increased slightly as well as the bottom bracket dropped a bit.  All I can say is that the stability, confidence on descents and overall fun has increased quite signficantly.  I was planning on getting a 150mm fork to replace the current Fox 34 140mm but I might stick with 140mm anyway.  Even technical climbs feel better as it seems easier to lift the front over obstacles but not to the point I'm looping out.